Author Topic: My shoulder  (Read 865 times)

zahc

• friend
My shoulder
« on: April 28, 2006, 11:23:07 AM »
My shoulder has hurt a little bit for years now. I think it was my freshman year in college  (I'm a senior now) when it first started bothering me. It just ached a little bit....sometimes. Now it's hurting so much it's starting to get really irrititating.

If I like, droop my shoulder foreward and then like pull it back, I can feel something inside shift, more back my my shoulder blade than foreward in the joint. My shoulder has done this for as long as I can remember, but it never hurt so I never worried about it. And again it doesn't hurt when I do this any more than any other time.

Never any sharp pain-moving it around makes no difference whatsoever.

I have never dislocated my shoulder or remember ever hurting it acutely, but I do/did ride freestyle bikes a lot, which basically is like a rowing machine...when I'm tired after riding my upper back muscles will always be sore. Yet I haven't ridden for like 5 months and it hurts worse than any other time.

I can still ride, because I don't notice the pain riding, only when I'm sitting around trying to study for finals, and it doesn't seem loose or anything.

I suppose I'll have to get surgery to fix it up, huh? Are there any joint supplements or anything that could help?

I'm only 20, damn it.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

crt360

• friend
My shoulder
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2006, 11:59:48 AM »
Definitely get it checked out by a doctor.  They might recommend rest, some kind of support/brace, therapy, surgery or nothing, but at least you'll have some peace of mind.  I did a lot of bike freestyle, skateboarding, water & snow skiing, MX and other body consuming sports when I was younger.  While I got concussions, cuts, bruises, lots of roadrash, sprains, and a mangled finger or two, I never had what I considered to be serious injuries.  Years later I have an ankle that goes bad on me once or twice a year and other joint pain that probably is a result of accelerated wear & tear as a kid.  Not that I wouldn't do it all over again.  If the pain hasn't gone away on its own and is getting worse, go see the doc.
For entertainment purposes only.

grislyatoms

• friends
My shoulder
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2006, 12:06:26 PM »
I have something more or less similar in my left shoulder. Mine was caused by poor posture / ergonomics at work. Since the safety folks have come by and made adjustments to stuff, no more problems.
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

grampster

• friend
My shoulder
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2006, 03:40:01 PM »
See a bone doc.  He'll probably recommend a course of therapy.  Therapy really works well on shoulders unless the joint or muscles are too far gone.  Then surgery is the answer, but should be entered into only as a last resort.  Difficult procedure and long healing time.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Standing Wolf

• friend
My shoulder
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2006, 04:51:03 PM »
I've had better success with a massage therapist than all the doctors, nurses, and pain pills put together.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.