Author Topic: Home Invasion Fail  (Read 2448 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Home Invasion Fail
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2016, 05:26:14 PM »
My suggestion would be the use a laser/light on her gun to help her accuracy in the dark.  The only other thing I can think of is to put the phone down and concentrate on defeating the immediate threat.  

I am happy for her though.  The guy was pointing a gun at her and she just opened fire with little hesitation which sent them all running.  I was also concerned about the one who went the other direction.  I couldn't tell if he was still inside the house or not.  
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2016, 05:27:27 PM »

Biological burglar alarms are good also if you have one that will do the job. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2016, 05:52:51 PM »
Biological burglar alarms are good also if you have one that will do the job. 

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2016, 07:51:36 PM »
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
Re: Re: Re: Home Invasion Fail
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2016, 08:13:55 PM »

Tactics, man. Them soft cotton night-gowns feel kind of nice. There's a whole air flow.
But silk doesn't restrict your movement in combat....plus silk doesn't contaminate a wound like cotton.....

.....strategy, man.
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2016, 08:23:58 PM »
[tinfoil]
This would be more effective:

Unfortunately, velociraptors are as likely to eat the owner as the intruder.  Also, being extinct, they're a bit hard to come by.
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2016, 09:08:28 PM »
But silk doesn't restrict your movement in combat....plus silk doesn't contaminate a wound like cotton.....

.....strategy, man.

Real commandos go... well, you figger it out.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2016, 10:49:14 PM »
I was also concerned about the one who went the other direction.  I couldn't tell if he was still inside the house or not.  

I think he's the one who ran out through the patio door without bothering to open it first ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2016, 12:03:57 AM »
[tinfoil]
This would be more effective:

Not really...

You want one of these.

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2016, 12:58:42 PM »
Unfortunately, velociraptors are as likely to eat the owner as the intruder.  Also, being extinct, they're a bit hard to come by.

Naaahh.  The trick is that you need to raise them from chicks.  When they hatch from their eggs they "imprint" on the first person they see....although I should point out that it's also smell; raptors have excellent visual acuity and have better olfactory senses than any four legged critter on earth. I should warn you, however, that if you plan to raise them this way, DO NOT wear ANY cologne, aftershave, or any clothing with a strong smell, and best not even have showered recently .... which I know, might make you a tad unpopular, but you REALLY DO NOT want the raptor(s) to have to sniff out your "natural" scent when they've imprinted on a particular cologne ....and then you change colognes.   If you wear colognes or whatever later, they're great at distinguishing it from the "natural" you but they HAVE TO FIRST KNOW what the "natural" you IS. Just a little FYI there. ;)
The real problem is that while they're fiercely loyal to their ... "owner" they are ....in a word.... FIERCE, and sometimes strangers who don't know how to act around them trigger their aggressor instincts.  
If you keep 'em well fed ---NOT fat (they seem to know when they've had enough, unlike some cats I've known) they will get along with a human just swimmingly.   [tinfoil] [popcorn] :rofl:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2016, 02:31:27 PM »
Not really...

You want one of these.

In Michael Crighton's  novel,  Jurassic Park,  the velociraptors were presented as that size.....but they still would have scarfed up dogs like cotton candy and as pack hunters,  humans as well.   The people in the book were pretty frightened of them......

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2016, 03:27:30 PM »
I like the idea of fortifying the doors.  It is something I need to do. 

Steel commercial door and frame, figure to spend about the cost of a good handgun on every door if you buy new and install yourself.  Excellent way to buy time.

Otherwise, there are a lot of points to reinforce- jambs, door, hinges, deadbolt.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2016, 08:13:40 PM »
Steel commercial door and frame, figure to spend about the cost of a good handgun on every door if you buy new and install yourself.  Excellent way to buy time.

It's amazing how many forget about the frame.  In a lot of cases you're only looking at about 1/4" of wood in the frame keeping the door from opening.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2016, 08:31:26 PM »
It's amazing how many forget about the frame.  In a lot of cases you're only looking at about 1/4" of wood in the frame keeping the door from opening.

Not full security, but an easy to install upgrade that's a lot better than a standard frame:

http://armorconcepts.com/Door-Jamb-Armor/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2016, 09:17:44 PM »
My point is that a lot of these situations I see (on forums and in the NRA magazine) seem to involve bad guys bursting in either through an unlocked door or crashing through the door.  Those are both things that can be fixed.  It also has the added benefit of making your home more resistant to more official entry such as swatting. 

1.  You want to have options for self defense in the home.
2.  You want to have some warning to insure you have the opportunity to use those self defense options.
3.  You want to keep them out of the house in the first place or at least slow down or discourage the entry.  This might help provide #2 also depending on how loud they are.

I am sure there are more items for consideration.