Author Topic: And just like that, John Cleese was canceled...  (Read 2269 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
And just like that, John Cleese was canceled...
« on: July 20, 2022, 07:56:14 AM »
John Cleese tells Fox News Digital no comedian should be 'canceled' for a joke.

HOW DARE HE!??! HOW *expletive deleted*ing DARE HE!!!

https://www.foxnews.com/media/john-cleese-wokeness-disastrous-impact-comedy
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: And just like that, John Cleese was canceled...
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2022, 08:00:33 AM »
It seems like out of everyone who fits in the big bucket of "celebrities", the comedians are the ones kind of waking up to woke, since they're suddenly finding themselves under attack by their fellow lefties. Not that all comedians are lefties, but most of them are.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2022, 08:05:36 AM »
What really surprises me is that there hasn't been an absolute eruption over Blazing Saddles.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2022, 08:07:10 AM »
It seems like out of everyone who fits in the big bucket of "celebrities", the comedians are the ones kind of waking up to woke, since they're suddenly finding themselves under attack by their fellow lefties. Not that all comedians are lefties, but most of them are.

In Cleese's case I don't think he was ever asleep on this matter. He's been warning about wokness killing comedy for several years, maybe even for a couple of decades now.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2022, 08:36:06 AM »
In Cleese's case I don't think he was ever asleep on this matter. He's been warning about wokeness killing comedy for several years, maybe even for a couple of decades now.

Well, IMO, it used to be called "politically correct" before some a-hole distorted the word "awakened" into the thoughtless and all-encompasssing buzzword "woke."

Kind of a half-corollary of "if you control the language, you control the issue."

Many folks have been decrying "political correctness" for decades before that distortion became slang of the day.

I myself have likened political correctness to the march of lemmings toward the cliff.

Terry, 230RN
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2022, 08:53:30 AM »
IIRC Monty Python's Flying Circus had a few things to say about political correctness back in the day.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2022, 08:54:41 AM »
to the march of lemmings toward the cliff.

Terry, 230RN

Which just like a lot of things in the lib world was faked.

In case you don't know what I'll referring to google how Disney got those shots of lemmings going over the cliff. They really did go over the cliff, Disney left out the little detail they were driven over the cliff.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

HankB

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2022, 08:58:17 AM »
What really surprises me is that there hasn't been an absolute eruption over Blazing Saddles.
I've watched it on TV where they routinely edit out the "n-word" and other unwoke language.

I'm surprised you can still sometimes catch Aaron McGruder's comic strip based animated show The Boondocks on TV. The Uncle Ruckus in particular . . .  :rofl:
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2022, 09:01:39 AM »

There's been a spate of "Watch Me" reviews on YouTube, many by those of other than Caucasian ethic heritage. To a person, they all proclaimed it the funniest damn thing they'd ever seen. Hard to make it offensive when the people who're supposed to be offended are doubled over in laughter.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2022, 09:01:53 AM »
I've watched it on TV where they routinely edit out the "n-word" and other unwoke language.

I'm surprised you can still sometimes catch Aaron McGruder's comic strip based animated show The Boondocks on TV. The Uncle Ruckus in particular . . .  :rofl:

It depends on what channel you watch it on whether it's been edited or not. It was on Sundance or a similar channel a year or so ago and it wasn't edited.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2022, 09:05:34 AM »
There's been a spate of "Watch Me" reviews on YouTube, many by those of other than Caucasian ethic heritage. To a person, they all proclaimed it the funniest damn thing they'd ever seen. Hard to make it offensive when the people who're supposed to be offended are doubled over in laughter.

Brad

Seems like most SJWs who scream this or that should be banned because it's offensive to insert POC group are whites who feel it's their duty to be offended for them. Meanwhile most POC couldn't care less.
- Calvin and Hobbes

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2022, 12:53:19 PM »

Lot of that stuff on YouTube, but I guess that may be harder to police. I recently watched a WWII documentary that mentioned a black dog named ni**er. And, of course, there's probably more than one video on YouTube of "I Want My MTV," (includes the word "fa**ot). Neither words were censored on the videos I saw.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2022, 12:57:42 PM »
And, of course, there's probably more than one video on YouTube of "I Want My MTV," (includes the word "fa**ot). Neither words were censored on the videos I saw.

Do remember seeing the new and improved ver with that edited out.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2022, 03:32:12 PM by WLJ »
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2022, 03:27:05 PM »
"I recently watched a WWII documentary that mentioned a black dog named ni**er. "

Guy Gibson's pet lab.

I heard Money for Nothing this morning on I Heart Radio.

It also includes the phrase "banging on the bongos like a chimpanzee."

Horribly homophobic AND racist.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2022, 03:48:30 PM »
"I recently watched a WWII documentary that mentioned a black dog named ni**er. "

Guy Gibson's pet lab.

The very same.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2022, 03:53:39 PM »
Money for Nothing was supposed to have an Archie Bunker character in it... A "working man."

Shows what they think of us.
Blog under construction

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2022, 04:02:08 PM »
If that was supposed to be a fart joke, well played. Well played.
7-11 was a part time job.

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2022, 04:40:10 PM »

A couple of months ago, "GRIT-TV" was airing the John Wayne movie, "The Sands of Iwo Jima".  In it, there is a line where 2 men are talking about where a bottle of sake had come from.  Wayne's character was supposed to have said "He probably got it off a dead Jap."
GRIT bleeped out "Jap".
  :facepalm:
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Big Hairy Bee

• friend
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2022, 05:09:27 PM »
Lot of that stuff on YouTube, but I guess that may be harder to police. I recently watched a WWII documentary that mentioned a black dog named ni**er.

The squadron dog/mascot in the classic movie The Dam Busters.

Also used in the original Magnum PI "Did You See the Sunrise" episode.  I have the DVDs--I don't know if the streaming options use it.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2022, 06:38:46 PM »
The squadron dog/mascot in the classic movie The Dam Busters.

Also used in the original Magnum PI "Did You See the Sunrise" episode.  I have the DVDs--I don't know if the streaming options use it.

I was under the impression the dog really existed, and was actually so named.

The  Battle of Britain also has a black lab, owned by Michael Caine's character.

Big Hairy Bee

• friend
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2022, 07:38:10 PM »
I was under the impression the dog really existed, and was actually so named.

The  Battle of Britain also has a black lab, owned by Michael Caine's character.

I didn't mean to imply the dog wasn't real.  I'm sure it was as the film was true to actual events.  I just remember when rewatching the movie a while back I didn't recall the dog's name.  Excellent movie, one of Peter Jackson's favorites (which he mentions remaking), and George Lucas' inspiration for the Death Star attack in Star Wars.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2022, 08:42:44 AM »
"I was under the impression the dog really existed, and was actually so named."

The dog was real.

And, the dog has been cancelled, both on its gravestone AND by the BBC in a remake of The Dam Busters.

Ain't this some *expletive deleted*it.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2022, 12:52:16 PM »
It's about time we dealt with these racist dogs.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2022, 04:45:59 PM by Perd Hapley »

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2022, 12:57:08 PM »
Dog can't be racist, it's black.
Wait a minute, it does have a white spot.
- Calvin and Hobbes

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2022, 07:51:20 PM »
A couple of months ago, "GRIT-TV" was airing the John Wayne movie, "The Sands of Iwo Jima".  In it, there is a line where 2 men are talking about where a bottle of sake had come from.  Wayne's character was supposed to have said "He probably got it off a dead Jap."
GRIT bleeped out "Jap".
  :facepalm:

I caught an ass chewing/censoring for using that same word in a discussion thread about an Arisaka type 99 every bit of 20 years ago on TFL.  Stupid *expletive deleted*ing PC culture is nothing new.

Same dipshit mod didn't understand the disambiguation of nip/nippon.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.