Author Topic: Windows 7 hardware requirements  (Read 3578 times)

mtnbkr

• friend
Windows 7 hardware requirements
« on: February 21, 2010, 08:18:25 AM »
I'm thinking about building a new PC this summer.  It'll be a general purpose family machine to do everything.  We aren't gamers, so gaming performance is secondary to cost effectiveness and low operational noise.  What is a good baseline config for such a machine?  I'm considering Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit. 

Chris

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
Re: Windows 7 hardware requirements
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010, 08:33:53 AM »
I'd want at least 2GB of RAM, but if you are going with x64 it's nice to have more. A reasonable Dual Core from either AMD or Intel, and preferably a dedicated discrete video card, even if you aren't gaming (even if a low end one). That's just me though.

Budget?
When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 08:50:47 AM »
no budget yet.  I'll set a budget after I get an idea of what it's going to take.  Just know that I'm not building a high powered gaming rig.

Chris

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010, 09:31:46 AM »
I put this system together about a year ago with low cost being the primary objective. It ran Ubuntu until I put 7 on it recently, absolutely no problems with either one so far. I already had a case to put everything in.

motherboard The drawback to this is it's limited to less than 90W CPU
cpu discontinued, you'll need a slightly faster one
memory There's something about the AMD64 that only lets memory run at 800, so I'd get this instead
hard drive
power supply
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2010, 10:05:48 AM »
I have a Atom 280 powered netbook with Windows 7 and another running Linux.  Both have 1GB of RAM.  The performance (surprisingly) is comparable, except the W7 sometimes stutters for half a second.  The processor would be enough if the machines had proper graphics chips.  MP2 and MP4 videos play just fine in full-screen, but flash takes a lot more horsepower to decode for some reason, and the Internet is eat-up with embedded flash content.  Even a little flash banner ad is enough to cause problems viewing a web page; heaven help you if you are trying to view a large video and there are a couple of small video ads over on the side.

Does all that make sense?  The point is, the graphics accelerator is more important than the main processor.
"It's good, though..."

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2010, 10:16:09 AM »
Good to know.  What's a good amount of Ram for Win7x64?  I get by just fine with 2gig on my primary XP laptop and 1 gig on the netbook (also XP). 

Chris

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2010, 07:41:47 AM »
I have been told Win7 needs a good graphics card to deliver good performance.  Does that entirely rule out on board video?  I've been looking at a lot of systems and many come with integrated video.  However, some of those systems have nVidia, Radeon, etc video chips.  Is it possible to get good video performance from an onboard video system given a good quality chipset?

Chris

erictank

• friends
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2010, 08:19:26 AM »
I have been told Win7 needs a good graphics card to deliver good performance.  Does that entirely rule out on board video?  I've been looking at a lot of systems and many come with integrated video.  However, some of those systems have nVidia, Radeon, etc video chips.  Is it possible to get good video performance from an onboard video system given a good quality chipset?

Chris

An Ion chipset (several netbooks use these - my HP Mini 311 is one, and runs Win7 Home Premium just fine (3GB RAM)) uses an Nvidia 9400 GPU, so it delivers excellent graphics performance for a netbook.  "Onboard video" isn't the guarantor of hideous performance it used to be, as long as you expend a little effort to make sure you get decent onboard video.  Don't know how difficult it would be to get an Ion board for a desktop system, though.  You can get reasonable low- to mid-level graphics cards (stuff that can handle moderate gaming, even) for anywhere from $50-150.  Heck, IIRC I paid $160 or so for a factory-overclocked Nvidia GTX 260 card a couple of months ago, and that'll do anything I'm likely to throw at it - I play stuff like Left 4 Dead, Batman: Arkham Asylum, and Bioshock on it with no problems at all.

IIRC, recommendations are for 2GB+ of RAM for Win7 systems, but it can do okay with 1GB.  Given prices for memory, and bang-for-buck, I'd say if you're building a multipurpose desktop, go ahead and stick 4 or 6GB in there (depending on what kind you're using - a DDR3 system needs 3 sticks, apparently).

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2010, 10:26:49 AM »
I put a system, together for my niece's boyfriend on the cheap a couple of months ago using an AMD Phenom with onboard Radeon video (256M) and 4 gig RAM. He's not a big gamer, but he tells me it rips along just fine and he does play some games on it. It's running Win Home 64.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2010, 10:43:39 AM »
Thanks Ben!  I don't want to go cheap, but I'm not a gamer or serious data cruncher at home.  I just want something up to date that will be snappy and flexible. 

Chris

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2010, 11:38:15 AM »
For a 64 bit CPU, Win 7 needs a minimum of 2 gig, and for a 32 bit CPU, 1 gig minimum. As cheap as RAM is I'd start with double that, especially with on board video. The MB I linked to plays 3d games without any trouble, but I'm also not running a huge screen either. It also has a PCIE slot if you want to upgrade it later.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

go_bang

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2010, 10:21:22 PM »
Good to know.  What's a good amount of Ram for Win7x64?  I get by just fine with 2gig on my primary XP laptop and 1 gig on the netbook (also XP). 

Chris

The more RAM the merrier as far as Win7 is concerned.  Buy as much as you can afford.  RAM is just about the only component of a PC that will actually get more expensive to upgrade the older the PC gets, especially after the next RAM standard comes out.  When that happens the manufacturers commit more capacity to the newer standard and scale back production on the older stuff, and hence the prices on the older stuff rises.

If you want actual numbers, 2 GB is the minimum amount for Win7 to run right.  My personal minimum is 4GB and my personal preference in 8GB.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2010, 01:41:47 PM »
How does this mobo/cpu combo look?
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5466821&CatId=2621

I'm going to start with 4gig of ram in one or two slots and a 500gig 7200rpm drive.

Chris

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2010, 02:06:36 PM »
That's a little bigger then my current system. I have a little more ram but an older video chip.
I'm not a gamer so I know it would do anything I needed it to do.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2010, 02:34:08 PM »
Do you have any problems with heat?  What case are you using?

Chris

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2010, 02:48:11 PM »
I'm not sure what case it is anymore. I've had it since I built my socket 7 500 Mhz system years ago. I just keep changing out boards and power supplies when I decide to upgrade.

I haven't had any heat problems with it. I have the AMD fan/heatsink that came with the cpu. It has a duel fan power supply, don't remember brand on that, but no extra case fans.

It sits behind my entertainment center so I only notice any noise late at night.

jim

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2010, 03:17:27 PM »
Windows 7 hardware requirements
Everything you have plus more.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

KPT

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2010, 11:39:13 PM »
Everything you have plus more.

Really? My Q9550, 4 gigs Corsair dominator 1066 and GTX 260 216 isn't enough?

The MB I linked to plays 3d games without any trouble

With a Geforce 7025? No, no it doesn't.

I have been told Win7 needs a good graphics card to deliver good performance.  Does that entirely rule out on board video?

Not true. I recently installed 7 on a laptop with a 1.7 Ghz P4M. It has some onboard video that isn't supported by 7. Installing the "hacked" driver was a PITA but apparently it works fine. Does have 1.5 gigs of ram and is only used for web browsing though.

We need a better description of general purpose.

I would not build a new system based on DDR2, the prices for it have skyrocketed to match DDR3 prices. I recently paid as much for 2 gigs of corsair XMS DDR2 800 as the 4 gigs of 1066 corsair dominator in my server. As you can tell already I'm a big fan of corsair. I've had to RMA A-data, PNY, and Kingston ram. Never had to RMA corsair.

My recent budget build was the HTPC. It's got an Asus M4A78-EM, AMD 710 X3 (OC'd to 3.15 Ghz from 2.6). The onboard ATI 3200 was as useful as a hangover. HD video would stutter. I slapped an 8800 GTS 640 I had lying around in it and its good now.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2010, 07:31:30 AM »
General Purpose for me is web surfing, microsoft office, minor video editing (pulling from miniDV, cutting out scenes, adding music, burning to dvd), minor photo editing (using irfanview to resize and such), accessing my Linux server via ssh or smb, watching a show or two on Hulu.com, etc.  No photoshop, no gaming, nothing like that.  I do all that today on a 4yo Dell Inspiron with 2gig ram and a 1.5ghz processor.  I'm looking for a new machine that uses standard pc components and is easier to upgrade than a laptop.

How does this look: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4614882&Sku=S451-3130

It meets all my needs and will fit on my desk just fine.  I'm going to add 2x2024 ram modules, leaving two slots open for later.  Processor will likely be a Pentium Dual Core or something else inexpensive.  I an add a better video card later if I need it, but I suspect the included chipset will meet my needs.  The monitor will likely be a full HD model in the 20" range.

I apologize for all the newb questions.  I haven't built a PC in over 5 years and my work hasn't involved PCs except as clients for email and ssh for nearly a decade.  I'm behind the curve when it comes to this stuff.

Chris

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2010, 07:37:09 AM »
Found this review about the system I linked to above: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Shuttle-XPC-SG45H7,6599.html

Really sounds nice and the price isn't bad.

Chris

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2010, 09:22:05 AM »
The downside I see on that little Shuttle box is finding a board or maybe a power supply if something went out. I don't like proprietary but those parts may be out there somewhere I just haven't looked for them.

jim

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2010, 08:48:22 PM »
the MB is proprietary =(
# Mainboard
Shuttle FP45, Shuttle form factor, proprietary design for XPC SP45H7
Chipset: Intel P45 Express (MCH) + ICH10 (I/O Conroller Hub)
Solid Capacitors for excellent heat resistance for enhanced system durability

you might want to look at mini-ITX cases and MBs, if that is important to you. =D

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2010, 09:11:11 PM »
the MB is proprietary =(
you might want to look at mini-ITX cases and MBs, if that is important to you. =D

No more proprietary than the average laptop.

It isn't terribly important.  Shuttle is an established company and this model is still in production.  If it dies, I can get a replacement from them.

Chris

go_bang

« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2010, 10:21:38 PM »
Here's a complete Dell Inspiron 546 for only $170 more than the bare-bones Shuttle:

http://www.dell.com/us/en/home/desktops/desktop-inspiron-546/pd.aspx?refid=desktop-inspiron-546&s=dhs&cs=19&~oid=us~en~29~desktops_great_deals_anav_2~~

AMD Athlon X2, DVD writer, 4GB RAM, 650 GB 7200 RPM drive, and Win7 Home Premium 64-bit for $399.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2010, 10:50:30 PM »
I've been looking at Dells, but I decided I didn't want another one this time around.  I wanted to build something myself.  Plus, the Shuttle can handle twice as much memory and has Firewire, something I use.  I also wanted something small. 

I ordered the Shuttle and 4gb of Corsair memory this afternoon.  It had the best combination of features for my needs.  I'm going to put a Core 2 Quad processor and 500gb drive in it as well. 

Chris