Author Topic: Window A/C - GE vs Frigidaire  (Read 3850 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Window A/C - GE vs Frigidaire
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2014, 09:40:28 AM »
If anyone is looking for a window shaker A/C unit still, this is actually a pretty good deal.

http://slickdeals.net/f/7031392-kenmore-6-000-btu-room-air-conditioner-window-unit-white-energy-star-107-99-tax-kmart-ship-to-store

I THINK this particular unit is made by Frigidaire, but I'm not 100% sure.

But, it's a 6K BTU unit for what the 5K units are going for, and it's an energy star unit.

This is the best price I've seen on a 6K BTU unit in some time.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2014, 10:13:36 AM »
I should probably replace the ones I have, which are getting old. They put off a decent amount of cold air, but they're probably inefficient as heck.

I have the vents set up for my oil fired furnace (which I don't use, because it's hideously expensive), but I'm told it'd be "a bit" expensive to run the lines and install a central AC unit. I have two wall units for my house, and it's honestly good enough for all but the hottest days. I could fix even that by adding a third. The units are in the back of my house, so no one can see them.

Honestly, buying and tossing a $350 wall shaker every 5 years seems cheaper and just as efficient at cooling.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2014, 11:53:58 AM »
Shade them and clean the coils regularly.  If you're not going to do that, then questions of quality, efficiency and warranty become pretty meaningless.

If you were going to hang a 1911 outside your window and never clean it, would it really make sense to spend more on a Kimber?

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2014, 04:40:13 PM »
Shade them and clean the coils regularly.  If you're not going to do that, then questions of quality, efficiency and warranty become pretty meaningless.

If you were going to hang a 1911 outside your window and never clean it, would it really make sense to spend more on a Kimber?

What's a good resource on finding how to properly clean the coils?
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2014, 06:47:46 PM »
What's a good resource on finding how to properly clean the coils?

Depends on the unit, but the simplest is pretty much a hose-end sprayer with some Dawn dish soap in it monthly.  Deeper cleaning annually depends on how hard it is to get the casing off the "outside" side of it.  Probably a good idea to figure that out and buy a coil comb anyway, since I've seen plenty with lots of smooshed spots on the coils.

Apparently there are some purpose-made cleaners, but I doubt that a spray can of random hard-surface cleaner relabeled as AC coil cleaner is going to do any better than several gallons of soapy water at hose pressure.  Not sure whether a power washer would be too much force for the coils, but I'm sure someone here can comment on that.

The last one I cleaned up was improved about 80% just by getting the mouse nests out of the coils and rinsing them off with a bucket of soapy water.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2014, 07:25:22 PM »
The active ingredient in the Nu-Calgon coil cleaner I buy is sodium hydroxide.  There's also a surfactant.

That in mind, I've often thought that foaming oven cleaner would be an excellent, widely available substitute.  Never tried it though, coil cleaner is cheap enough.

Keep in mind any alkaline cleaner will need to be rinsed thoroughly off.

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2014, 10:42:19 PM »
No central air here. 

Frigidaire window unit is clomping along after 6 summers of service.  It doesn't owe me a thing and still works well.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2014, 11:15:10 PM »
Keep in mind any alkaline cleaner will need to be rinsed thoroughly off.

IME, 90% of the stuff comes out with hose pressure and plain water.  The rest is mostly tree sap and such, so an aluminum-safe bug-and-tar remover from the automotive department might be ideal.  Dawn seems to work pretty well if you soak with it strong, wait 5-10 minutes and then rinse well.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2014, 11:47:25 AM »
Oven cleaner will work for the outdoor coil, don't really recommend it for the inside coil because any leftover after rinsing may atomize into the air. for the indoor coil any good detergent will work. For the outdoor coil I usually undo all the screws, separate the shroud from the coil, COVER THE MOTOR WITH A GARBAGE BAG, and pull the outdoor coil CAREFULLY and as far as it will go without forcing it away from the shroud without breaking or kinking the tubes. Makes it easier to clean the whole coil. Gentle pressure with lots of volume is best. Straight stream will bed the fins! Make sure to clear any channels from the indoor coil to the outdoor area on the bottom to ensure proper drainage.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2014, 12:34:32 PM »
Have I been doing something wrong putting mine in the dishwasher?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2014, 12:43:40 PM »
Have I been doing something wrong putting mine in the dishwasher?

If it fits, you might want to have her checked by a doctor.

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2014, 09:19:51 PM »

:laugh:

He'll be here all week, folks.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2014, 01:43:41 PM »
No way I'll be able to top that one.  :rofl:
Avoid cliches like the plague!

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2014, 02:39:12 PM »
Thanks for all the technical discussion - it helped me pick out my new window A/C.

Went from a 20+ year old GE that was either 6000 or 8000 BTU (old, worn, undeadable stamping) that was supposed to cool a 1950s filled concrete block covered in stucco heat sink of about 920sq ft broken up between kitchen, front room, and two bedrooms.  Over the pasts long as it stayed below 80*F I could get something approaching cool but after that it seemed I was just cranking more heat into the place.

Had a "little" bit of a problem getting the old unit unstuck and out.  Solved it via the local handyman.

I'm now - 30 min after getting the new unit in and turned on - sitting in 68*F comfort when it is 97*F and 90% RH outside.  The  back rooms are starting to get cooled.  A few small fans are helping direct the air.

It's amazing what 18,500 BTU spread over the place can do.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2014, 04:19:32 PM »

Not necessary. Just shove a ham up in there and pull the bone out!  :rofl:
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2014, 04:39:35 PM »
What is this 'central air' and 'window shakers' of which you speak?  In the Seattle area, we are fortunate in that it gets above 90 degrees maybe only one or two weeks per year.  It is relatively uncommon to see homes with central air in this neck of the woods.  I can see how useful it is in the Midwest, Southwest and Southeast, though.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2014, 05:24:30 PM »
What is this 'central air' and 'window shakers' of which you speak?  In the Seattle area, we are fortunate in that it gets above 90 degrees maybe only one or two weeks per year.  It is relatively uncommon to see homes with central air in this neck of the woods.  I can see how useful it is in the Midwest, Southwest and Southeast, though.

Yes, but we have these neat things called "sun" and "fair weather."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2014, 05:45:19 PM »
Yes, but we have these neat things called "sun" and "fair weather."

Damn it, I must give you that!

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.