Author Topic: Window of opportunity, and good neighbors  (Read 730 times)

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
Window of opportunity, and good neighbors
« on: September 11, 2015, 08:19:17 PM »
Up in North FL, we have gotten over 24 inches of rain in the past two months.  Back yard simply flooded.  Standing water, grass growing out of control.   Yesterday and today, were dry and hot.  The water is mostly gone.  Tomorrow, we should get another two, maybe three inches of rain. I can't mow the yard any more.  Old age, infirmities........  My neighbors take care of that for me. One neighbor was officiating at a HS football game tonight,  the other fellow worked all day, got home late.  He fired up the big mower, and mowed all three of our yards, and then tackled my back yard.  With two flashlights, and the back yard spots, he mowed the 1/3 acre for me, then edged, and blew it off. If not today, then probably another two weeks before it could be done.  I was very grateful.  You can't put a price on good neighbors.    =D

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: Window of opportunity, and good neighbors
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2015, 09:23:47 PM »
Beer and beef, beer cold and beef grilled rare, apply liberally to neighbors mouths.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

HankB

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2015, 01:47:22 PM »
Up in North FL, we have gotten over 24 inches of rain in the past two months.  Back yard simply flooded.  Standing water, grass growing out of control . . .
I'll tell ya what . . . you send some of that rain to central Texas, and we'll send you some of our illegals.

Deal?

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: Re: Window of opportunity, and good neighbors
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2015, 02:24:36 PM »
Beer and beef, beer cold and beef grilled rare, apply liberally to neighbors mouths.
This.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2015, 02:35:51 PM »
Back when we first moved into the house in 1991, there was a older (60-ish) widow that lived across the street.  Me and our neighbor would cut her grass, shovel her driveway and do all kinds of odd-jobs/minor repairs around her house.   Around 2002 her kids decided that the house was getting to be too much for mom and one of her kids moved her to their home near Peoria.

Fast forward to 2013.  Dad is blind and Mom is now using a walker.  They live on a hill, so the driveway is a bit steep.  Their neighbor across the street brings up the mail and newspaper each day when he gets home from work, along with taking the garbage can out to the street and back.

Karma, pay it forward.... ;)
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2015, 02:40:26 PM »

Good fences make good neighbors, but so does good hospitality.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch