Main Forums > The Roundtable

First religious question

<< < (2/8) > >>

Steelharp:
IMHO... all things good are of God, all things bad are not. Simplistic, but to the point. I don't believe God "allows" suffering. The devil (Satan, etc., your name of choice) inflicts the wrong, the pain, the suffering. We, as creatures with free will, can accept either path by our decisions. We can strive for victory, or we can languish in less.

Waitone:
So how come it is we expect God to alleviate the consequences of our own thoughts, words, and deeds.  Sounds like my children years ago when they wanted to know why I let them get lost in the mall.  They were the ones who wandered off, but they expected me to alleviate the consequences of their actions.

Michigander:
Steelharp, I'm not sure the Satan arguement can stand for long. IOW, didn't God create Satan? If so, then we are back to the original question.

griz:
A little clarification, I wasn't thinking of suffering from the consequences of your own actions, more along the lines of the innocent suffering random tragedies. The latest tidal wave is one example. But if the fact that they decided to be by the shore is a problem, the death of a baby would be another example.

Steelharp:
Michigander, point taken. As the commonly accepted (at least the one I know) story goes, of course God created everything. Lucifer was one of His angels that came to believe that he was greater than God. Since "Thou shalt have no other gods before Me," Lucifer was cast out along with his followers.

BTW, what does IOW stand for?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version