Author Topic: How Dare Charlie Gibson!  (Read 4426 times)

LAK

• friend
How Dare Charlie Gibson!
« on: January 07, 2008, 12:35:51 AM »
How Dare Charlie Gibson Allow Ron Paul To Speak! But wait; the NYT are the bad guys right? I mean, they promote all this liberal, we hate Bush, America is bad, we oppose the war - etc. Right?

So why is one of their targets now Charlie Gibson and Ron Paul? The New York Times - who should just love Ron Paul because "they support anyone who opposes the war".

Because the NYT is afterall, when it all boils down, and a propaganda paper for our ruling oligarchy. As is "fair and balanced" FOX in audio and visual form.

The fact is, Ron Paul is beginning to worry these people. It was obvious from the start that he would upset the status quo - and unshackle us as a nation from those who are oppressing and fleecing us. Now he appears to be getting real traction they are actually starting to worry about him. The scoffing seems to be drying up.

Money talks. Wonder who prodded Ms. stanley to write this one.

------------------

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/06/us/politics/06watch.html?_r=2&oref=slogin&oref=slogin

The TV Watch

He Came, and He Saw, but Did He Moderate?
By ALESSANDRA STANLEY
Published: January 6, 2008

The first debates after the Iowa caucuses were a crucible for the candidates, but they were also a test of the Gibson Doctrine. ABC’s anchor, Charles Gibson, began the evening with a policy statement: “The less of a moderator, the better.”

Last night, however, a little more moderator would have been for the best.

Charles Gibson’s low-key, avuncular style was a counterpoint to the aggressive cross-examinations of Tim Russert, of NBC’s “Meet the Press,” in the debates he moderated. But in the end, Mr. Gibson’s approach came off as passive-aggressive.

At certain moments, he loftily lectured the candidates. He scolded the Republicans for “intellectual dishonesty” about oil prices. He mocked Democrats who promised to change Washington, saying, “God love you all.”

But Mr. Gibson withdrew whenever the discussions grew heated. And by not intervening more forcefully early on in the Republican debate, he allowed much of their discussion to remain staid and uninformative — Representative Ron Paul, of all candidates, dominated the foreign policy debate.

When Rudolph W. Giuliani and others began to pile on Mr. Paul about his views on radical Islam, the discussion got so tangled that Mr. Gibson held up his hands in a time-out sign, saying with a helpless laugh: “Time. Time.” That prompted Mitt Romney to chide him, “You started it.”

The candidates are not the only ones seeking higher office. There was a reason why Mr. Gibson spent so much time ahead of the debate explaining how he wouldn’t take time away from the candidates: he is running for the position of America’s anchor.

A little like Mike Huckabee and Barack Obama before the Iowa caucuses, Mr. Gibson faced low expectations when he became the ABC anchorman in May 2006. He seemed too old and rumpled to catch up with Brian Williams, NBC’s sleek, youthful anchorman, who held a comfortable, commanding lead in the ratings. Mr. Gibson didn’t seem flashy enough to compete with Katie Couric, who was noisily promoted by CBS as the face of the future.

Instead, viewers turned out not to want change: audiences preferred Mr. Gibson’s easy, dignified style and comforting familiarity. Now, Mr. Gibson and Mr. Williams are basically running neck-to-neck for the No. 1 spot, and Mr. Gibson has the advantage: in 2007, ABC’s evening news program was the one that gained viewers, while NBC lost almost 500,000.

And like a candidate trying to lower expectations before a crucial vote, Mr. Gibson played down his own role in the debates. “To the extent that I can I’ll shut up and hope that they talk to each other,” he said on ABC News just before the debate.

Mr. Gibson grew more assertive in the second half of the evening, boring in on Senator Barack Obama on the subject of attacking Al Qaeda in Pakistan, and prodding Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton to challenge Mr. Obama’s readiness to take office. As the evening wore on, he forgot his pledge to be the invisible moderator and showed off his bona fides, saying in a prelude to a question to Democrats about a possible nuclear attack, “I’ve read a lot about this.”

Mr. Gibson clearly set out to stay in the background. Each new topic was introduced with an explanatory video clip by ABC News reporters. Mr. Gibson even used a clip of President Bush discussing the need for firm principles to ask the Republican candidates to discuss “constancy” on policy issues. He seemed to be opening the debate to the problem of policy flip-flops.

But the question was posed in such a vague way that it allowed each candidate to recite self-serving boilerplate about their personal philosophies. Mike Huckabee recited lines from the Declaration of Independence.

Mostly, Mr. Gibson seemed ambivalent. At times, he worked hard to appear unobtrusive — crouched in his seat like Rodin’s thinker, he put a finger over his mouth before he finished a sentence, as if hushing himself. At others, he turned magisterial. He insisted that the Republican and Democratic candidates meet on stage in between debates and shake hands, telling the audience, “What unites us is greater than what divides us.”

He never lost his cool, however, and it was a night that required stamina: monitoring two back-to-back debates was a little like sitting through all three parts of Tom Stoppard’s eight-and-a-half hour trilogy “Coast of Utopia” in one day.

Mr. Gibson had said that moderating a debate is a “high-wire act.” It is. But by insisting that he would stay out of the fray, he allowed himself to look a little like a witness called in to testify before a Senate hearing, where committee member pontificate at length while the witness looks on gravely, hoping to not look bored or foolish on camera.

[END]

............... READ THE DEBATE TRANSCRIPT AT:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/05/us/politics/05text-rdebate.html

----------------------------------------------

http://searchronpaul.com
http://ussliberty.org
http://ssunitedstates.org

Manedwolf

• friend
Re: How Dare Charlie Gibson!
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2008, 03:59:46 AM »
Ron who?

I was watching the Fox debate, with the actual five candidates. 

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2008, 05:36:56 AM »
"He scolded the Republicans for intellectual dishonesty about oil prices."

Huh?

what's so intellectually dishonest about recognizing that oil is a commodity and the price is largely set by traders purchasing it on the open market, as it has been since 1983?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2008, 05:38:34 AM »
The most damaging thing that the media could do to Ron Paul is to let him have as much exposure as possible.

Many of his policies are sound, but his blame-America hobby horse, his goofy monetary cracks, and his whiny manner undercut any effectiveness he might have had.

I had hopes that RP might move the Republican field of candidates his direction on several issues, the way Tancredo did with illegal aliens.  Those hopes are now dashed.

Face it: Ron Paul is a poor evangelist for his ideas.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2008, 08:07:57 AM »
The most damaging thing that the media could do to Ron Paul is to let him have as much exposure as possible.

Many of his policies are sound, but his blame-America hobby horse, his goofy monetary cracks, and his whiny manner undercut any effectiveness he might have had.

I had hopes that RP might move the Republican field of candidates his direction on several issues, the way Tancredo did with illegal aliens.  Those hopes are now dashed.

Face it: Ron Paul is a poor evangelist for his ideas.

As I mentioned elsewhere, I believe that just now in Manchester, his supporters drove the nail in his coffin.

Whole bunch of them with Ron Paul signs and a fife and drum, all chanting loudly "9/11 was an inside job!" over and over.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2008, 09:08:01 AM »
I just saw an interview with Ron Paul a few weeks ago where he stated that saying 9/11 was caused by the govt or some conspiracy was ridiculous.  I guess those people didn't see the interview.  Smiley
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MrRezister

• I resist. It's what I do.
  • friend
  • Shank, shank, shank mommy's ankles!
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2008, 09:17:37 AM »
I just saw an interview with Ron Paul a few weeks ago where he stated that saying 9/11 was caused by the govt or some conspiracy was ridiculous. 

Sure, but some people who like him said otherwise, so clearly Dr. Paul is a nutjob.  Or don't you get it?
Personally, I'm more likely to agree with Paul than most of the other Republicans, (or any of the Democrats) but right now, I'm figuring he's not going to hang around all the way through the Primaries. 
But what the heck, I'll probably vote for him anyway.
He never brought you an unbalanced budget, which is a perennial joke. He never voted himself a wage increase and, to this day, gives back part of his salary every year. He has always voted to preserve the Constitution, cut government spending, lower healthcare costs, end the war on drugs, secure our borders with immigration reform and protect our civil liberties.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2008, 09:20:08 AM »
. . . Whole bunch of them with Ron Paul signs and a fife and drum, all chanting loudly "9/11 was an inside job!" over and over.
I didn't realize he had Rosie O'Donnell's support.  shocked

Seriously, I heard RP say that 9/11 was "blowback" for US policies, but in another interview when he was asked whether or not it was an "inside job" he put that idea down as nonsense.

The guy does have some good ideas - quite a few, actually - and when he was my congressman I did vote for him - and don't regret doing so.

But his views on foreign policy and international relations have convinced me that he shouldn't be anywhere near the Oval Office.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Paddy

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2008, 09:20:52 AM »
the aggressive cross-examinations of Tim Russert, of NBCs Meet the Press,

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2008, 02:25:39 PM »
The fact is, Ron Paul is beginning to worry these people. It was obvious from the start that he would upset the status quo - and unshackle us as a nation from those who are oppressing and fleecing us.

LAK, it doesn't surprise me that you would support Paul's policies.  And he may have upset the status quo in some way.  But how much do you really think he could have accomplished, even if elected to the White House? 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Paddy

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2008, 02:29:21 PM »
But how much do you really think he could have accomplished, even if elected to the White House?

Well, there's the 'Bully Pulpit'.  Beyond that, power flows to where power is.  If her were elected, there would be a significant move toward his philosophy. 

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2008, 07:28:40 PM »
In a way, I could buy that.  Just so long as we're not thinking that the income tax would just magically disappear, or something. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2008, 06:17:14 AM »
. . . Whole bunch of them with Ron Paul signs and a fife and drum, all chanting loudly "9/11 was an inside job!" over and over.
I didn't realize he had Rosie O'Donnell's support.  shocked

Seriously, I heard RP say that 9/11 was "blowback" for US policies, but in another interview when he was asked whether or not it was an "inside job" he put that idea down as nonsense.

The guy does have some good ideas - quite a few, actually - and when he was my congressman I did vote for him - and don't regret doing so.

But his views on foreign policy and international relations have convinced me that he shouldn't be anywhere near the Oval Office.

I think he would make a fine cabinet officer - maybe AG.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2008, 06:19:32 AM »
The fact is, Ron Paul is beginning to worry these people. It was obvious from the start that he would upset the status quo - and unshackle us as a nation from those who are oppressing and fleecing us.

LAK, it doesn't surprise me that you would support Paul's policies.  And he may have upset the status quo in some way.  But how much do you really think he could have accomplished, even if elected to the White House? 

I still think he'd be Jimmy Carter II.

LAK

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2008, 11:35:14 PM »
Fistful
But how much do you really think he could have accomplished, even if elected to the White House?
Yours is actually one of the key questions in the election issue.

The fact is, the real seat of power - in domestic matters, and to a degree those foreign - isthe U.S. Congress. However, that said, the president is the highest ranking person in the Executive. Significantly, he is over all federal agencies - including those who are more renegade in nature and activities.

That means he could do a great deal; by presidential directive, executive order. A stroke of the pen.

In a single day, with the stroke of the pen, he could also give the U.N. their eviction notice, and pole ax the NAU.

Those things alone would be worth him even a single term in office. None of the other candidates are going to do this - ever. And that says enough about them for me, regardless of any of their token "conservative" platform issues.

LAK

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2008, 02:27:14 AM »
Ah; almost forgot. I am sure he would take some decisive measures to put a stop to the flood of migrants coming to this country - and I am almost sure he would see what he could do to bus, plane, ship and thoroughly discourage them home.

Guillyhillhucklerombama won't be doing anything decisive about that one either.