Author Topic: Richardson is out...  (Read 7029 times)

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Richardson is out...
« on: January 09, 2008, 07:16:25 PM »
Bill Richardson is dropping out of the Dem lineup.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0108/7825.html

Richardson dropping out of Dem race

By: The Associated Press
Jan 9, 2008 07:17 PM EST
Updated: January 9, 2008 07:29 PM EST

MERRIMACK, N.H.  New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson ended his campaign for the presidency Wednesday after twin fourth-place finishes that showed his impressive credentials could not compete with his rivals' star power.

Richardson planned to announce the decision Thursday, according to two people close to the governor with knowledge of the decision. They spoke on a condition of anonymity in advance of the governor's announcement.

The Richardson campaign would not comment on the governor's decision, reached after a meeting with his top advisers Wednesday in New Mexico.

Richardson had one of the most wide-ranging resumes of any candidate ever to run for the presidency, bringing experience from his time in Congress, President Clinton's Cabinet, in the New Mexico statehouse as well as his unique role as a freelance diplomat.

As a Hispanic, he added to the unprecedented diversity in the Democratic field that also included a black and a woman.

But Hillary Rodham Clinton and Barack Obama dominated the spotlight in the campaign, and Richardson was never able to become a top-tier contender. He accused his rivals of failing to commit to bring troops home from Iraq soon enough.

He portrayed his campaign as a job application for president, and ran clever ads that showed a bored interviewer unimpressed with his dazzling resume.
The commercials helped fuel his move to double-digit support in some early state polls, and advisers argued he was poised to move past former vice presidential nominee John Edwards for the role of third-place challenger.

But he was not able to build the momentum and came in a distant fourth place in Iowa and New Hampshire. Richardson didn't get quite 5 percent in the New Hampshire primary Tuesday and came in with just 2 percent in the Iowa caucus last week.

Richardson was born 60 years ago in Pasadena, Calif., after his American father sent his Mexican mother there to give birth and erase any doubts that his son would be a U.S. citizen.

His father was an international banker from Boston, and Richardson spent his childhood in Mexico City before being sent to boarding school in Massachusetts, where he was a standout baseball player.

After graduating from Tufts University in 1971 with a master's degree in international affairs, Richardson worked first as a congressional aide and then for the State Department. He was a staffer for the Senate Foreign Relations Committee when he decided to leave Washington in 1978 to launch a political career.

Richardson settled in New Mexico partly because of the state's large Hispanic population, and he won election to the House. Richardson is a master negotiator, and put his diplomatic skills to work to rescue Americans held hostage abroad. He earned a reputation for a mix of patience, toughness and cultural sensitivity that served him well on mercy missions from North Korea to Cuba to Sudan.

President Clinton recruited Richardson to become U.S. ambassador to the United Nations, then secretary of Energy two years later.

He was easily elected to two terms as governor but will be forced from office by term limits in 2010. His closest advisers hope that even if his presidential campaign didn't bring him many votes, it built his reputation so that he'll one day be able to add even more to his resume.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Paddy

Re: Richardson is out...
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 07:52:05 PM »
He's probably one of the more qualified Dems in terms of skills and experience, along with Biden who's out also I think.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2008, 08:33:19 PM »
Where do you think his backers will lean? I'm thinking Hillary.

Blog under construction

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2008, 08:50:22 PM »
That's a shame.  He was the only Dem that came even close to being pro gun. Hell, I'd take him over Romney or Giuliani, even if I do disagree with a large majority of his other political stances.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2008, 09:50:06 PM »
Richard who?   cheesy
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2008, 10:00:06 PM »
Where do you think his backers will lean?

Both of them?
"The famously genial grin turned into a rictus of senile fury: I was looking at a cruel and stupid lizard."

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2008, 12:56:01 AM »

Either Hillary or the Ft. Marcy Park Memorial Bench Restoration Program..... Wink
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2008, 02:55:58 AM »
I can't believe there are people that actually cast a vote for this guy. He cannot say two intelligent things in a row for the life of him. He always sounds like he is stoned or retarded. Next to him, Bush Jr is a "nukular" scientist.

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2008, 03:49:50 AM »
That's a shame.  He was the only Dem that came even close to being pro gun. Hell, I'd take him over Romney or Giuliani, even if I do disagree with a large majority of his other political stances.
He was certainly the best qualified of those running in either parties.
The Democratic Party has taken to eating its moderates.  Look what they did to Lieberman in his last senate election.  The radical wing owns that party.  This is why the only way they can win is when the GOP screws up.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2008, 05:31:24 AM »

Maybe, but I doubt it.  Richardson was mad when Hillary's campaign spread rumors about him telling Iowans to vote for Obama.
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2008, 06:01:32 AM »
I can't believe there are people that actually cast a vote for this guy. He cannot say two intelligent things in a row for the life of him. He always sounds like he is stoned or retarded. Next to him, Bush Jr is a "nukular" scientist.

Speaking of "nukular", I remember seeing him interviewed after the second Los Alamos security breach (after him personally taking charge of straightening the place out) talking about how they forgot to "take into account the human factor in security".
What a boob! There is no other factor.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

HankB

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2008, 06:05:07 AM »
Richardson was the only democrat left in the race that I regarded as actually being sane. My impression was that, away from the cameras, I could actually sit down and discuss our differences rationally over a couple of beers with the guy.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2008, 06:23:49 AM »
Too bad. Richardson is the one democrat I would have seriously considered voting for especially if McStain or Ghouliani were his opposition.
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2008, 06:26:54 AM »
The question is... was Richardson ever in?

I'd have to say... no.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2008, 08:00:08 AM »
The Democratic Party has taken to eating its moderates.  Look what they did to Lieberman in his last senate election.  The radical wing owns that party.  This is why the only way they can win is when the GOP screws up.

Yeah, and it doesn't take a big screw-up to get all over the news with it either...

Joe Schmoe, Democratic candidate, gets caught in illegal brothel with 47 illegal underage immigrants, and a goat. Gets 30 seconds on CNN.

Mike Pike, Republican candidate, gets caught doing the involuntary head swivel when a scantily clad model walks past. That one's good for 5-6 days of coverage, and calls for resignation.

Blog under construction

The Rabbi

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2008, 08:46:26 AM »
Bogey, I think you might be exaggerating on the goat thing.
Look at Rep Condon.  That was one of the most unsavory episodes in a pretty sordid time.  And nothing happened to him.  If he had been a Republican he would have been hounded out of office.  By his own party.

Finch

• Fading Freedoms
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2008, 10:24:48 AM »
Too bad. Richardson is the one democrat I would have seriously considered voting for especially if McStain or Ghouliani were his opposition.

He was the only person on that side I would consider. Sure, he was for universal health care, but he was also for immediately ending the Economy killing Cluster**** in Iraq. Much better that Rudy Thompson McRomneybee.
Truth is treason in the empire of lies - Ron Paul

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2008, 12:52:47 PM »
Joe Schmoe, Democratic candidate, gets caught in illegal brothel with 47 illegal underage immigrants, and a goat.

We need those illegal alien child-prostitutes to do the unwholesome things that American school-girls won't do. 

Though one shudders to think what would be so vile an American chick wouldn't do it.

And let's leave the goats out of it.  Nobody can prove I was there. 

thebaldguy

• friends
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2008, 04:15:41 PM »
I don't think he tried very hard to get the democratic nod. He was one of the few democrats I would have maybe voted for.

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2008, 05:11:12 PM »
Yet more proof that most Americans are dumb when it comes to politics.  The Democratic Party, doubly so.

Richardson was the most qualified out of the whole bunch, but noooo.  We have to have either Shillery or Obumma.
We can't even have Edwards, who I could have almost handled, sorta, kinda, maybe, if I started drinking a lot.
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

The Rabbi

• friend
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2008, 05:13:56 PM »
If I was tied up and threatened with horsewhipping I could not vote for Tort-Boy Edwards.  The man makes me sick.  Even Obama would be better.  I would vote for him if threatened with a horse-whipping.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2008, 06:20:52 PM »
If I was tied up and threatened with horsewhipping I could not vote for Tort-Boy Edwards.  The man makes me sick.  Even Obama would be better.  I would vote for him if threatened with a horse-whipping.

That post was very odd.  But strangely, I agree with it. 

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2008, 07:41:14 PM »
Fistful, I concure.  Anything is better than another bloody lawyer.

The Bard put it best, in Henry the (insert # because I can't recall)

"First think, Lets kill all the Lawyers".

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2008, 08:15:27 PM »
Yeah.  But wouldn't you like to see Rabbi horse-whipped, anyway?  By a really big horse? 

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2008, 08:24:59 PM »
Look what they did to Lieberman in his last senate election.
In an election defined by Iraq and public opinion of the President, Connecticut Democrats decided to boot the Senator they saw as being overly hawkish and chummy with said President.

THE HORROR.

Did y'all whine this much when Linc Chafee faced strong primary opposition? Or is it okay for a party to eat its own if they're RINOs - but Stalinism if they're DINOs?
"The famously genial grin turned into a rictus of senile fury: I was looking at a cruel and stupid lizard."