Author Topic: Should alcohol be illegal?  (Read 4653 times)

cordex

• Administrator
Should alcohol be illegal?
« on: January 11, 2008, 07:57:01 AM »
One common argument given that currently illicit recreational drugs and controlled substances should remain illegal is that increased usage of recreational drugs is a net negative on society.

Often these arguments are made by the very people (such as Rabbi) who enjoy and advocate the use of other recreational drugs such as alcohol or tobacco.

Given the dangers of alcohol and tobacco abuse and addiction both to the user and to those around them, would it not be reasonable to prohibit the sale and use of alcohol to the same extent we prohibit so-called "soft-drugs" like marijuana?

Tecumseh

• friend
Re: Should alcohol be illegal?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2008, 08:42:57 AM »
It is destroying the country along with Tylenol sleep, caffeine, Robitussin, etc.  Americans are being destroyed by crazed caffeine addicts who need their coffee in the morning.  We need the DEA to shut down Starbucks and seize their assets. Wink

Seriously though, if we intend to fight a war on drugs then ban alcohol, tobacco, caffeine, and every over the counter medicine (as they can be misused) becuase it seems wrong to be inconsistent in our teetotallism. 

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008, 09:19:20 AM »
We tried that once.

It didn't work.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2008, 09:31:46 AM »
We tried that once.

It didn't work.
Ditto.
Also why punish the millions of people who drink alcohol in a responsible way for the hundreds that cause damage to others?
Further, there has been a legal alcohol industry in this country that employes millions of people and pays hundreds of millions of dollars in wages and taxes every year.
Further, alcohol has been a cornerstone of this country's history (Whiskey Rebellion) and its history is integrally tied to that of this country.
You cannot make the same arguments about dangerous narcotics.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

BrokenPaw

• friends
  • Sedit qvi timvit ne non svccederet.
    • ShadowGrove Interpath Ministry
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2008, 09:33:27 AM »
Also why punish the millions of people who drink alcohol in a responsible way for the hundreds that cause damage to others?

Gosh!  Yeah!  That's a statement so profound it could be applied to other forms of prohibition!

Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2008, 09:38:28 AM »

Gosh!  Yeah!  That's a statement so profound it could be applied to other forms of prohibition!

I take opioid based narcotics fairly regularly and haven't killed anyone.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

The Rabbi

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2008, 09:50:42 AM »

Maybe you need to be arrested and thrown in jail?

BrokenPaw

• friends
  • Sedit qvi timvit ne non svccederet.
    • ShadowGrove Interpath Ministry
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2008, 09:51:50 AM »

That's an obvious lie.  People who use mind-altering substances are entirely incapable of functioning in society, unless those mind-altering substances are ones that Rabbi chooses to use.

Ergo, you're a liar.  Where are you keeping the bodies?

-BP
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

Glock Glockler

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2008, 10:03:55 AM »

Maybe YOU need to be arrested and thrown in jail.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2008, 10:14:53 AM »

Yeah, me and my illegal alien neighbors?
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Tecumseh

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2008, 10:26:40 AM »
We tried that once.

It didn't work.
Ditto.
Further, there has been a legal alcohol industry in this country that employes millions of people and pays hundreds of millions of dollars in wages and taxes every year.
Further, alcohol has been a cornerstone of this country's history (Whiskey Rebellion) and its history is integrally tied to that of this country.
You cannot make the same arguments about dangerous narcotics.

I do believe that the Founding Fathers used hemp.  It is only logical to assume they smoked marijuana. 

I assume then you are for peyote, as it is a drug used by others?

Now the founding fathers most likely did not have exotic liquors or micro-brews like Schlafy Coffe-Ground beer.  I doubt they had flavored vodkas, wine coolers, or other more modern drinks.  Perhaps we should only allow liquors that they could have produced as the chemicals in these drinks could lead to craziness. 

So only Ales, Meads, and Beers.  Perhaps some wine and fruit liquor. 

The Rabbi

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2008, 10:31:03 AM »

Maybe YOU need to be arrested and thrown in jail.
I havent admitted to using opiates.  Mainly because I dont.
Maybe you need to be thrown out of here for ridiculous posts.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2008, 11:06:14 AM »
Now the founding fathers most likely did not have exotic liquors or micro-brews like Schlafy Coffe-Ground beer.  I doubt they had flavored vodkas, wine coolers, or other more modern drinks. Perhaps we should only allow liquors that they could have produced as the chemicals in these drinks could lead to craziness.  So only Ales, Meads, and Beers.  Perhaps some wine and fruit liquor. 
Distillation was well-known, dating back to the 8th or 9th century. and it was nobody less than George Washington who used Federal troops as tax collectors during the Whiskey Rebellion. (Whiskey dates back to at least the early 1400s . . . vodka probably does, too.) In fact, founding father George himself is credited with introducing applejack to the Colonies somewhere around 1760 or so.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2008, 11:09:28 AM »
This thread is going downhill fast, and if it wasn't obvious we couldn't play nice to begin with, well, I don't know what was.

I knew as soon as I saw the thread topic, it had spawned off the other one, with much hilarity ensuing.

This is a CIVIL place to discuss politics. 

'nuff said.
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"