Author Topic: Michigan: Romney's Last Stand  (Read 10862 times)

Matt King

Michigan: Romney's Last Stand
« on: January 13, 2008, 08:31:08 AM »
Looks like Romney is betting whats left of his presidential campagin on winning Michigan.

http://www.abcnews.go.com/GMA/Vote2008/story?id=4127524&page=1

Sergeant Bob

• friend
Re: Michigan: Romney's Last Stand
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2008, 09:12:43 AM »
Well, I'll certainly be out for the vote, against him.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Matt King

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2008, 09:17:03 AM »

Where does he get his support from?
I'm always amazed at how many people vote for him.

TexasRifleman

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2008, 01:07:32 PM »
I'm always amazed when people predict the end when less than 1 half of 1 percent of the people have voted in primaries thus far.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2008, 02:44:18 PM »

I heard Glenn Beck today, assuring a caller that Romney would NOT take anyone's guns away.  Absolutely wouldn't.  Trust him.  So, I guess there's nothing to fear on that issue.   smiley
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2008, 02:56:44 PM »
Most of the recent polls put him out in front.  He is spending more money here then he has anywhere else.  He is a "native son" and he still has many connections here and has the support of most of the Republican party officials in this state.  There is also a big push among some democrats to vote for him to supposedly screw things up, since their party has punished them for moving the primary up. 

Insert Quote
I'm always amazed when people predict the end when less than 1 half of 1 percent of the people have voted in primaries thus far.

If candidates fail to build up some momentum by winning the early races, then they usually run out of campaing funds and donors.  This certainly isn't anything new.
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2008, 03:08:45 PM »

I heard Glenn Beck today, assuring a caller that Romney would NOT take anyone's guns away.  Absolutely wouldn't.  Trust him.  So, I guess there's nothing to fear on that issue.   smiley
I would agree.  I also dont think Obama or Hillary will take anyone's guns away.  It takes much more than one person, even the President, to make law.
That said, I dont think Romney would do much to expand gun owners' rights either.
And he's slimy, like a weasel.
But I also heard that Giuliani's staffers are foregoing paychecks.  It seems inconceivable that two front runners should suddenly find themselves at rope's end so early into it.
Maybe Fred's strategy was right after all?
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2008, 03:19:32 PM »
"...I also dont think Obama or Hillary will take anyone's guns away.  It takes much more than one person, even the President, to make law...."

True, but you need a president that will veto any anti gun nonsense that comes out of the congress.  A Dem won't do that.

Fred Thompson may be the only one who would. 
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

The Rabbi

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2008, 03:47:04 PM »
I am more confident in Congress not to produce some odious turd of an anti gun bill than anything else.  Too many Democrats got elected on pro gun platforms and they cant go back to their voters and explain why they voted for it.  It is too divisive an issue and not up far enough on anyone's agenda to bother about.
National Healthcare though is another thing.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2008, 03:48:13 PM »
Mitt got endorsed by Trancredo, that counts for at least an open mind in my book.
I'll be voting for Ron or Fred during the Caucus, depending on where the cute girls are.
If Mitt draws all those cute Mormon blondes over to his side, I'll go over to his side for the caucus, I heard they're like a great big party....I've only voted in primaries, never went to a caucus.....
Would a cute young blonde Mormon ever date an old ugly Christian gun nut?.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Matt King

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2008, 04:09:50 PM »
I am more confident in Congress not to produce some odious turd of an anti gun bill than anything else.  Too many Democrats got elected on pro gun platforms and they cant go back to their voters and explain why they voted for it.  It is too divisive an issue and not up far enough on anyone's agenda to bother about.

It'll be interesting to see how Democrats handle the Heller decision, whatever it may be.

BridgeWalker

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2008, 06:33:26 PM »
Upon traveling throughout MI, a visitor from outer space would conclude Ron Paul is about to win an election by a landslide. 

Haven't seen a word about this Romney fellow, native son or not.

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2008, 08:47:48 PM »
Would a cute young blonde Mormon ever date an old ugly Christian gun nut?.

Let em know your vote depends on it.
 grin
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2008, 09:44:42 PM »
Upon traveling throughout MI, a visitor from outer space would conclude Ron Paul is about to win an election by a landslide.

True that.

BTW, Romney was born in MI, his dad was a govenor of MI and ran one of the big auto companies, Romney himself worked in some of the auto plants.  I think he's hoping for the auto industry/hometown vote here.
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

The Rabbi

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2008, 10:41:11 PM »

It'll be interesting to see how Democrats handle the Heller decision, whatever it may be.
I think wondering about "Democrats" is fruitless.  I dont think Harry Reid will look at it the same way as Ted Kennedy.

The Rabbi

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2008, 10:41:36 PM »

"The empty barrel sounds the loudest."

grampster

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2008, 04:03:01 PM »
Whatever happens in Michigan, it will be meaningless.  The Democrat ballot does not have Obama or Edwards.  Only Hillary and the moonbat from Ohio and a box for Uncommitted.  Although 15% of the total vote has to go Uncommitted in order to be counted.

Also, when the primary got moved up, part of the deal was that one HAD to declare if you wanted a Democrat ballot or a Republican ballot.  This info is being turned over to the two parties.  I believe this to be illegal, but no judge will adjudicate it so for fear of being ostracized by one of the parties.

As a result, I'm not voting.  Neither is virtually everyone I know.  In the past, you got a ballot that included both or all parties that met the ballot criteria.  Then you voted.  You could not split your ballot, or it was spoiled, rightly so, but your selection was secret.

In Michigan, we have virtually been stripped of our right to secret ballot and I hope nobody shows up at the polls.  I'm thinking of picketing the polls and when the sheriff arrives I'll hand over my sign and go home.

Our Republic is in deep *expletive deleted*it and most are going along with it.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2008, 04:10:11 PM »
I'd take Romney over McCain or Huckabee.

I highly doubt a loss for Romney would take him out of the race.  It's still way too early to predict anything.  Only two states have voted so far, and neither are very representative of the rest of the country.  So it's foolish to read to much into the results thus far.

SomeKid

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2008, 08:01:06 PM »
HTG, 3 states. Don't forget Wyoming.

jefnvk

• friend
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2008, 08:10:53 PM »

Just did my part to add to the Ron Paul advertising of MI Smiley

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2008, 09:59:07 AM »
HTG, 3 states. Don't forget Wyoming.
You're right, I forgot Wyoming.  Romney won Wyoming. 

I can't understand why anyone would believe that Romney needs to win in MI "or else".  He performed very strongly in every state that's voted so far.  He's polling near the top in the polls of all of the upcoming states.  Romney is actually winning the Republican election. 

Why on earth are people counting him out?

Racehorse

• friend
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2008, 10:25:13 AM »
Why on earth are people counting him out?

Because they want him to be out.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2008, 10:34:43 AM »
I saw an article in Shotgun News yesterday.  Basically the opinion was that Huckabee, Thompson, and Paul were the only candidates who have clear pro-gun records.  Said Romney, Giuliani, and McCain all have questionable records.  I am not sure how accurate that is.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

jefnvk

• friend
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2008, 11:22:51 AM »
Support More Severe Punishments For Those Who Commit Crimes With A Firearm. Those who use a firearm during the commission of crime must be punished severely. The key is to provide law enforcement with the resources they need and punish criminals, not burden lawful gun owners.
Governor Romney does not believe we need any more gun laws in this country. Like President Bush, he would sign a gun law if it was carefully written to target weapons of unusual and unnecessary lethality or power.

There is Romney's stance from his website.

http://ontheissues.org/2008/Mitt_Romney_Gun_Control.htm

Not the worst, but much better choices exist.  Speaks (At least to me) in a way he could go either way on gun issues, which would be a concern to me.

Huckabee:
http://www.mikehuckabee.com/?FuseAction=Issues.View&Issue_id=18
http://ontheissues.org/2008/Mike_Huckabee_Gun_Control.htm

Supports CCW, stand your ground laws, against Brady/AWB

Thompson (don't know if this is his official site or not):
http://www.fred08.com/Virtual/Media/GunsandCrime120507.pdf
http://ontheissues.org/2008/Fred_Thompson_Gun_Control.htm

Paul:
http://www.ronpaul2008.com/issues/second-amendment/
http://ontheissues.org/2008/Ron_Paul_Gun_Control.htm

Wants to pull out of UN to prevent threat from them

McCain:
http://www.johnmccain.com/Informing/Issues/77636553-6337-4ecd-b170-49e1c07d2fbd.htm
http://ontheissues.org/2008/John_McCain_Gun_Control.htm

Gun-show checks on private party sales

Giulaini:
http://www.joinrudy2008.com/issues/view/9
http://ontheissues.org/2008/Rudy_Giuliani_Gun_Control.htm

His site very vauge on position, On the Issues has him very anti

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2008, 12:23:53 PM »
claiming romney is on his last legs at this point in the game seems just silly. IIRC, Michigan only gets half its usual number of delegates because it did something to offend the RNC.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.