Author Topic: Superstitious?  (Read 3900 times)

Modifiedbrowning

• friend
  • Best Avatar on APS
Superstitious?
« on: July 20, 2005, 05:25:22 PM »
Anyone have any superstitions that they follow? I have two. The first is not lighting 3 cigs off a single match(or lighter).  The second is that I always put my left shoe on first, I'm not sure where this came from, but I think it maybe from snowboarding because it is easier for me to put on my left boot when propping it on the car bumper in the parking lot. What do you guys do?h
Give Peace a Chance,
Kill all Terrorists.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
Superstitious?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2005, 05:39:08 PM »
1. When feeding the cats their evening meal, I habitually tap the top of the cat food cat several times before opening it.  I have no idea why I do this, but I know if I don't I feel out of sorts for while.  Same with canned tuna or salmon for my consumption.

2. The houseplants have to be watered in a specific order.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

grampster

• friend
Superstitious?
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2005, 05:42:21 PM »
My every waking moment is directed, nay, defined by compulsions.  Thanks for reminding me.Tongue
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Gun Runner

• friend
  • Citizens United Negating Tyranny
Superstitious?
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2005, 11:51:19 PM »
Laying a hat on a bed is bad luck, I haven't done it in years.  Not to say I still don't have bad luck...
"I once took the high road and it took me straight to hell, and I stood there all by myself" - III

Azrael256

• friend
Superstitious?
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2005, 11:56:24 PM »
Touching a screw when I drive over a railroad track.  An old girlfriend got me to doing it, and I just do it habitually now.  Fortunately, I can touch the screws on the back of my steering wheel, so I don't have to go looking for one when I approach a crossing.

A friend of mine would do this thing where he'd kiss his hand and then smack the cieling of his car when going through a yellow light.  He explained that you kiss the cieling to appease the "yellow light farie," and you scratch the cieling for a good sex life.  I replied that it might be unwise to do anything that involved both sex and faries.  I think he stopped doing it.

BillBlank

• friend
Superstitious?
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2005, 01:39:56 AM »
The wife always says hello to any magpie she see's.

I don't walk under ladders but only because people drop stuff. I do touch wood when tempting fate, especially with regards to talking about motorcycle accidents.
Just so happens Satan's behind the bar pulling the late shift for a buddy...

Brrlgrrl

• friend
Superstitious?
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2005, 06:05:14 AM »
I never rock and empty rocking chair.

SalukiFan

• friend
Superstitious?
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2005, 07:04:40 AM »
I grew up with the old Swedish superstition that if a bird flew into the house that it was an omen that someone in your family would die.  I would freak out if this ever happened in my house.  The weird thing is that the only two times that a bird flew into our house when I was growing up, I had relatives die almost immediately after.  Spooky stuff. Sad

Stickjockey

• friend
Superstitious?
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2005, 09:16:19 AM »
Whenever I take my wedding ring off, I always put it back on the same way it was before (directional design).
APS #405. Plankowner? You be the judge.
We can't stop here! This is bat country!!

RaggedClaws

• friend
Superstitious?
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2005, 10:14:48 AM »
I always knock on wood when the situation warrants it.  I never walk under ladders (but that's just common sense).  I always get chills when a black cat runs across my path (I'll usually change my path when that happens) and I'm always careful not to break mirrors.  Also, I won't open an umbrella indoors, it just freaks me out, don't know why.

I can thank my mother for putting these things in my head rolleyes

griz

• friend
Superstitious?
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2005, 10:35:15 AM »
I only buy lottery tickets on Friday the 13th.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

cfabe

• friend
Superstitious?
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2005, 02:57:44 PM »
I "knock on wood", sometimes, but that's about it.

grampster

• friend
Superstitious?
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2005, 04:04:32 PM »
Cfabe,  First let me apologize...but I just can't help myself..really, I can't.  You really asked for it....

Do you give yerself a headache?  Tongue
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

stevelyn

• friend
Superstitious?
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2005, 04:48:56 PM »
I kill black cats that cross my path.
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

Superstitious?
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2005, 04:49:02 PM »
Horse Racing:

Back when I used to attend/ entertain clients, or have coffee with a Bookie - often...*ahem*
I do not bet favorite races with piddly ass  odds, especially sprint races. Gimme a route race with some odds. I only bet to Win, none of this place or show crap. I keep my mouth shut about what I know about a trainer, the horses last performance on a track out in the middle of nowhere.  I do have a preference for a certain lineage , I do have a number that has always seemed to bring me luck.  Oh my most favorite raes, Route race, raining like hell and muddy, add some snow, and I am going to place a bit more money on my horse. *grin*

Bullets:  
I am allergic to ones coming towards me, always have been - don't figure I need to change my Rx for this.

Gov't:  
Meddlin'
Short version, my fingers would fall off and my keyboard on this laptop would wear out if went on how I feel about this topic.

Redheads:  I have always  a BAD experience with redheads.

Serentity:
Is directly :: pocketbook.
Argue if you want, belief systems, family, friends, exercise, health, meditation , you name it , still if flat broke one's attitude sucks big time.

Ladders:
Better to walk under one - than to trip over one I say.

Cats:
Hell I stalked the way I did to get it to cross my path - makes shooting them easier.

Green:
My favorite color, also the fastest vehicle I ever drove was green. Blows the theory green race cars are bad luck. Then again being a rebel I'd have to have a green one for spite.

13:
Only a friggin' number.

Full Moon:
Deer and other critters come out at night. - Fish bite better at night. Nothing sexier than a lady wearing nothing - bathed only in moonlight.

Spilled milk:  
Well hell it was gonna end up as waste one way or another eventually...

Superstitious?

Well why do I want to worry about this or anything else? Stuff like this takes up room in my brain - room I prefer to use for more productive needs.

Or for the more religious folks : If you worry you ain't got room for faith. If you have faith you ain't room for worry. Whaddya want?  Pick one.

crt360

• friend
Superstitious?
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2005, 04:51:20 PM »
No hats on beds.
For entertainment purposes only.

Superstitious?
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2005, 04:55:09 PM »
Southern Gentleman takes his hat off for only two reasons.
One of them -the hat is gonna fall of the bed eventually anyway...

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Superstitious?
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2005, 12:42:05 AM »
Susperstitious?  Depends.  Mind you, I'm a witch, so that might factor into situations.

I trust my gut feelings.  If something in the back of my brain says "I wouldn't do that...", I generally don't do it.  Anytime I've opposed my instincts/intuition/whatever, it's turned out badly.   The last time I ignored it, I tripped over a landmine.  

I don't really have any compulsive behaviors that aren't fairly logical.  Well to me, at least.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

RaggedClaws

• friend
Superstitious?
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2005, 04:35:50 AM »
Anytime I've opposed my instincts/intuition/whatever, it's turned out badly.
Amen to that!  That is perhaps the biggest lesson I've learned in life.  Always listen to your gut.

Iapetus

• friend
Superstitious?
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2005, 07:24:10 AM »
Superstitious?  Me?  Nah - I'm completely rational and scientific...

With one exception: I won't stir pots - or walk round ancient monuments - anticlockwise.  

It somehow got ingrained into me as a kid, and its been with me ever since.  If I'm ever absentmindedly about to do it, it always get a sudden flash of realisation what I was about tot do, and stop just in time.  (And then I usually think "What - surely you don't still follow that rule?" - and then still refuse to break it).

atek3

• friend
    • http://www.geocities.com/atek128/Welcome.html
Superstitious?
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2005, 10:53:43 AM »
Nope...not religious either.

atek3