Author Topic: Wow, The Sudanese Know How to Win Friends and Influence People  (Read 1910 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Seems like if they were gonna rough people up, they'd do better to pick on like, the Secretary of Ag or something, rather than the staff of the US Secretary of State.

--------------------------------
http://www.billingsgazette.com/index.php?id=1&display=rednews/2005/07/21/build/world/40-sudanincident.inc

Rice expresses outrage at treatment of entourage by Sudanese security

Associated Press

KHARTOUM, Sudan - Security forces in the Sudanese capital manhandled U.S. officials and reporters traveling with Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, marring her round of congratulatory meetings with leaders of the new unified government. Rice demanded an apology, and got it.

"It makes me very angry to be sitting there with their president and have this happen," she said. "They have no right to push and shove."

Rice made her remarks to reporters after she and her entourage boarded an airplane to fly from the capital to a refugee camp in the Darfur region. At the camp, she said the United States would hold the Sudanese government to account if it fails to end the refugee crisis.

State Department spokesman Sean McCormack said the Sudanese foreign minister responded to Rice's demand for an apology by telephoning her aboard the plane to express regret for the incidents at the ultra-high-security residence of Sudanese President Omar el-Bashir.

Twice, Sudanese guards' hostility toward members of Rice's entourage devolved into shouts and shoving.

As Rice's motorcade arrived at the residence, armed guards slammed the gate shut before three vehicles could get in, including those carrying Rice's interpreter and other State Department officials who were supposed to attend her meeting with el-Bashir.

After protests, the officials were eventually allowed in. But guards repeatedly pushed and pulled Rice senior adviser Jim Wilkinson, and at one point he was shoved into a wall.

"Diplomacy 101 says you don't rough your guests up," Wilkinson said later.

Once Rice's traveling group was inside, the guards tried to keep reporters out of a planned photo shoot of Rice's meeting.

When reporters were finally allowed in, they were elbowed and guards repeatedly tried to rip a microphone away from a U.S. reporter. They were ordered not to ask questions, over State Department objections.

When NBC diplomatic reporter Andrea Mitchell tried to ask el-Bashir a question about his involvement with alleged atrocities, a scuffle broke out.

Guards grabbed the reporter and muscled her toward the rear of the room as State Department officials shouted at the guards to leave her alone. "Get your hands off her!" Wilkinson demanded. But all the reporters and a camera crew were physically forced out.

Ambassador Khidair Haroun Ahmed, head of the Sudanese mission in Washington, attempted to smooth over the situation on the spot. "Please accept our apologies," he told the reporters and aides. "This is not our policy."

Later, describing Rice's meeting with el-Bashir, Wilkinson said, "She was very direct about the skepticism of the international community about their ability to improve Darfur."

Rice put it this way: "I said action, not words."

U.S. officials said Sudanese officials repeatedly asked Rice to lift sanctions, and she gave them no promises.

But Rice later indicated she might consider requests to ease sanctions on railway and aircraft components.

"I think we have to look at the argument that this is an issue for humanitarian reasons," Rice said in an interview with National Public Radio. "Obviously if there is a case on the humanitarian side we would be willing to look at it."

The session at el-Bashir's residence capped a morning of meetings before a visit to the western Darfur providence, where the United States blames his government for recruiting and equipping militiamen to massacre rural villagers and burn their homes.

He denies government involvement, but the United States and international organizations say his military sent helicopter gunships to bomb small villages before raiders swept in with horses, guns and knives.

Rice's visit to the sprawling Abu Shouk refugee camp, the second-largest in the region, went more according to form and plan.

After a bumpy and dusty ride from the airport, she was surrounded by children reaching for her hand and chanting: "Welcome, Welcome Condoleezza."

In the area she toured, some of the 55,000 displaced Darfur villagers had tried to add cheer to the hot, sandy expanse by planting pink and magenta flowers outside the doorways of their plywood and canvass huts.

Rice said that her hour and a half visiting the camp, meeting with humanitarian workers and women who described their fear of rape and violence by government forces, put the crisis in stark relief.

"I think people have known this is a devastating crisis for so many people and the United States has called it by name, that is that a genocide was committed here," she said.

Prior to her meeting with el-Bashir, Rice had said the United States is making a difference to relieve a refugee crisis and that African peacekeeping troops are helping to stop atrocities.

War-induced hunger and disease have killed more than 180,000 people and driven more than 2 million from their homes.

Sudan formed a new reconciliation government this month, following a peace agreement to end a 21-year-year civil war between the Muslim north and the mainly Christian and animist south that killed an estimated 2 million people.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
Wow, The Sudanese Know How to Win Friends and Influence People
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2005, 07:49:05 AM »
LOL!  She went to break bread with a thugocracy and they acted like thugs and she's UPSET that a thug is a thug?
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2005, 07:54:11 AM »
To bad Mr. Wilkerson didn't shove back.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Ron

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2005, 04:00:25 PM »
Having to deal with thugs who commit genocide is one of the leading causes powerful nations resort to "imperialism".

Actually I don't know if thats true.  Many do ask why powerful nations such as ourselves don't do more.  

What is our responsability as the big dog on the block?  Look the other way?  use a carrot? a stick?

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2005, 04:00:26 AM »
Our responsibility:  to airdrop captured weapons from Iraq to the southern Sudanese so they fulfill the mission of the RKBA and rid themselves of their government!
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

atek3

• friend
    • http://www.geocities.com/atek128/Welcome.html
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2005, 10:52:23 AM »
What is our responsability as the big dog on the block?  Look the other way?  use a carrot? a stick?
Seriously now, lets start mucking around in a third country and make sure there are absolutely no muslims left in the world who don't think the US is out to get them.

atek3

Ron

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2005, 01:53:44 PM »
I would just assume we stay out of Africa and work on limiting our dependence of the middle east.

If we don't engage the African nations in some type of relationship they may be more prone to allow Islamic extremists to flourish in the region.  Damned if you do damned if you don't.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2005, 02:03:24 PM »
Quote from: GoRon
I would just assume we stay out of Africa and work on limiting our dependence of the middle east.

If we don't engage the African nations in some type of relationship they may be more prone to allow Islamic extremists to flourish in the region.  Damned if you do damned if you don't.
We very much agree on the first sentence.  As a buddy of mine from Africa told me, "Stay the heck out of Africa, there's nothing there you want."   As he was born and raised there, I'll believe him.

If the Wahabbis want to set up shop in Africa, let them deal with that headache.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.