Author Topic: Nextel / IDEN Phone Users?  (Read 1668 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Nextel / IDEN Phone Users?
« on: July 27, 2005, 07:11:33 AM »
Do any of you use Nextel with one of the armored / water resistant phones (i305, i315, i355, etc.)? If so, what are your opinions on the phones?

I've been on Verizon for work for some years now. Verizon has always seemed to have better coverage in my area, but I'm in the field a lot (and when not, am a butterfingers) and am hell on the phones. I want to get a "Ben resistant" phone, which only Nextel offers. I'm willing to lose coverage for a tougher phone. I've seen the 305, so I realize they are bigger phones, but don't mind that at all. Just trying to find the best bang for the buck on phone models.

Any comments are mucho appreciated.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2005, 07:17:31 AM »
What about finding an armored CDMA phone.  It might work on Verizon's network.  Most of the CDMA phones are compatible with Verizon and Sprint's networks, though you might lose some features (text messaging, etc).

Chris

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2005, 07:45:56 AM »
I actually might have to do some more internet digging in that regard. One of the reasons I was looking at IDEN phones is because I called the Verizon Federal rep, told her I wanted a neato bulletproof phone like the Air Force guys up the road had, and she told me to get bent (well, not really, but she told me there were no armored phones available on our Verizon govt contract). I just assumed ( and we all know what that means) that I was SOL getting what I needed from Verizon.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

cfabe

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2005, 08:30:10 AM »
I don't know if there is a suitable cdma phone out there, but if there is, you can use it on your verizon account. You just need to call them and give them the number from the back of the phone to switch it over. I think you might even be able to do it from their website.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2005, 09:22:15 AM »
BenW, I know the attitude.  I get it from VWireless and I'm a Verizon employee!

Chris

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2005, 10:35:47 AM »
I'm willing to lose coverage for a tougher phone.
Make sure you know what coverage you are losing.  My first phone, I went with features over reception.  Bad, bad idea.
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2005, 10:46:43 AM »
Another option, get several cheaper phones (used off ebay, free from friends as they upgrade, etc) and swap them out as necessary.  Get the cheapest, lowest tech, monochrome phones you can find.  I bet you can get several for as little as $10 each.  Get the "candybar" phones instead of the flipphones.  They tend to be more durable and cheaper.

Chris

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2005, 12:01:10 PM »
Unfortunately I have to go through a contract since it's a work phone, so buying cheap older ones won't work, unless I pay for them myself (and if I didn't have to use the bloody thing for work, I probably wouldn't even have a cell phone) Smiley

That's also a reason I'm not too concerned if the coverage area isn't quite as good as Verizon's -- if I miss a few whiny co-workers calling me with their problems, so much the better!  Tongue

I'm definitely giving up on flip phones though, which is all I've had up till now. I really like their compactness and ease of sticking in a pocket, but they just don't do well in my mitts.