Author Topic: Networking and wireless Q's  (Read 1085 times)

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Networking and wireless Q's
« on: July 27, 2005, 09:48:53 AM »
Wife wants a laptop.  Okay, sure thing babe.  Of course, we've gotta get it hooked into the 'net.  So, I think I understand the hardware part.  What about the security side of it?  I don't want someone hotspotting into our network.  Anything else I should know?
Thanks
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2005, 10:14:55 AM »
There have been several threads on this topic here, but I summarize the advice given there.

1. Change the admin ID/password as soon as you start configuring your access point (AP), and write it down in a log/journal that is kept secure.

2. Do not broadcast the network connection. The access point stays silent, not advertising its presence.  Clients have to seak out and find the AP.

3. Set the MAC exclusion lists to permit only those machine IDs that YOU tell it to.

4. Use the strongest encryption means possible with the wireless adapter and AP.

5. Try to purchase the AP and adaptor(s) from the same manf. at the same time.  Less hassle.  I had a bugger of a time getting my Linksys adapter for my laptop to work with the AP on my DSL modem (Adaptec).  When the modem died, I replaced it with one that does not an an AP, and picked up a Linksys AP.

6. Remember, paranoia is not a mental illness, it is a survival trait. Cheesy

The two threads on this topic were started by The Rabbi, search for his posts and you should find them.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2005, 10:31:58 AM »
Get wireless 54G.  Turn on WPA.  Change the default password to the router.  Turn off DHCP, set your IP address manually.  Enter the MAC addresses so only those computers can connect.  Some people turn off SSID.

Even better, if it is going to stay on a desk for most of the time, jus tuse wired connections.
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'