Author Topic: Most U.S. Scientists are Democrats  (Read 5005 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Most U.S. Scientists are Democrats
« on: December 12, 2010, 10:57:29 AM »
Nothing Earth-shattering, I know. The somewhat neutral leaning of the article, coming from Slate, was interesting though. Especially since I apparently fall into the 6% zone (as they have no option for "Republican with strong libertarian leanings"). The article did kind of hit home for me. As a "minority" from the political perspective in the sciences, I'm perhaps more sensitive to recognizing political views being injected into scientific views -- especially when listening to "water cooler" conversations that I have no doubt influence publications and official reports. Certainly if the numbers were reversed there might very well be bias from the other direction. The Slate article though, seems pretty unbiased in its suggestion that the scientific community should acknowledge this, which it is loathe to do.

The second link is to the PEW report, which is also interesting reading. I would be interested to see the results of other polls, and polls from say, 50 years ago. PEW seems to lump all scientists together. Political ideologies by field would be interesting to see. If I were to poll the very small sample set of the dozen or so engineers I know, the results would look much less skewed to the left.

http://www.slate.com/id/2277104/

http://people-press.org/report/528/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

SADShooter

• friend
Re: Most U.S. Scientists are Democrats
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2010, 12:33:25 PM »
Anecdotally, I certainly see this. The physicians/scientists I work with operate in an academic bubble, and are as a rule philosophically aligned with the notion of organized, collectivist approaches to problem solving. In terms of self-interest, they see progressive politics as more likely to generate funding for their research.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2010, 07:07:51 PM »
According to the report, the "scientists" they sampled seem to have come entirely from the AAAS organization.

About the Scientist Survey

Results for the scientist survey are based on 2,533 online interviews conducted from May 1 to June 14, 2009 with members of the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS), under the direction of Princeton Survey Research Associates International. A sample of 9,998 members was drawn from the AAAS membership list excluding those who were not based in the United States or whose membership type identified them as primary or secondary-level educators.

I think this source is potentially highly biased, despite its claim to exclude educators.

I consider engineers (like myself) 'scientists'. But since I work for a private company, I don't participate or pay attention to publicly published magazines like Science. My experience has been that most industry scientists have similar habits. There are 3 reasons for this behavior.
One is that private companies have their own libraries of research that they have. We keep these generic magazines in the library so individuals don't have to keep up with the magazines.
Two, industries have their own specific trade magazines they pay closer attention to.
Three, our own private research is more pertinent than the rabbit holes academia likes to delve.

It seems highly likely to me, that this organization is highly biased to the academic community compared to the much larger and more narrowly focused private scientific community.
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2010, 07:27:20 PM »
I'll add a few more things.

Other surveys have shown "Republicans" have on average more college degrees than "Democrats". So unless those degrees in Lit and Art, then this doesn't really make sense.

Republicans in the general population have historically been in the minority. But I know conservatism is not a 6% minority in our engineering campus. It might be a majority of the group.
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2010, 07:34:15 PM »
People with degrees =/= scientists.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2010, 08:23:46 PM »
According to the report, the "scientists" they sampled seem to have come entirely from the AAAS organization.

Yeah, I don't believe there are a lot of astrophysicists, engineers, etc. in AAAS. You'll find most of them in the American Geophysical Union.

It makes sense that PEW went to AAAS as their sample group though. Most of the scientists they seem to work with, and give grants to, are environmental management scientists and biologists. 
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2010, 08:34:47 AM »
. . . I consider engineers (like myself) 'scientists'. But since I work for a private company, I don't participate or pay attention to publicly published magazines like Science . . .
Another engineer here . . . although for some reason known only to the corporate HR department, my current "official" job title is "Physicist."

I'm not a Democrat. Many of my colleagues are not Democrats.

But of course, I probably wouldn't be considered a "scientist" either, since I don't routinely have articles published in peer-reviewed journals; most of my work is considered either a "trade secret" or ends up in a patent.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2010, 06:26:09 PM »
I have an engineering degree.  I wouldn't call myself a scientist as I work in chemical plant operations.  I don't really design anything much less do research.  However, most engineers I come across are fairly conservative at least in the way I define it. 

That said, I don't know what the difference is between guys who get their degree and go out to work versus those that decide to stay in school and continue their education.

The political affiliation of scientists and researchers means about as much to me as the the political affiliation of highway workers.  It is meaningless.  Scientists may be smart, but that doesn't mean they know anything about politics or economics or are any sort of authority on the subject. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2010, 07:25:02 PM »
As a "minority" from the political perspective in the sciences, I'm perhaps more sensitive to recognizing political views being injected into scientific views -- especially when listening to "water cooler" conversations that I have no doubt influence publications and official reports. Certainly if the numbers were reversed there might very well be bias from the other direction. The Slate article though, seems pretty unbiased in its suggestion that the scientific community should acknowledge this, which it is loathe to do.

Then it's up to everyone here to fix it.  Make more Libertarian and/or Republican scientists.

I'll throw my hat in the ring; I want a Geology degree, and I'm a Libertarian.  College fund contributions accepted via PayPal at kd5nrh@gmail.com  =D

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2010, 02:57:45 PM »
So far here's the best take on this story I've read:

http://www.atomicnerds.com/?p=4192
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Pb

• friend
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2010, 03:00:28 PM »
Uneducated people, and people with a high school diploma are more likely to be Democrats.

People with a batchelor's degree are most likely to be Republicans.

People with a graduate degree are more likely to be Democrats.  That would be the demographic mentioned here.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2010, 08:13:32 PM »
Uneducated people, and people with a high school diploma are more likely to be Democrats.

People with a batchelor's degree are most likely to be Republicans.

People with a graduate degree are more likely to be Democrats.  That would be the demographic mentioned here.

Okay, then, make sure to donate enough to get me through a PhD. :P

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2010, 01:30:02 AM »

Nobody told me about that when I signed up for a grad degree!  Does it happen all at once or do you gradually lose your mind?  I'm curious because I'm halfway to a masters and I don't feel sick at all!  ???

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2010, 09:48:07 AM »

Nobody told me about that when I signed up for a grad degree!  Does it happen all at once or do you gradually lose your mind?  I'm curious because I'm halfway to a masters and I don't feel sick at all!  ???

I'd be interested to see the percentages based on direct from undergrad to grad school vs went to work then back to grad school.

I did both undergrad and grad back to back, but I did them both in my 30's, so I'd already been exposed to the world for a while.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2010, 05:45:09 AM »

people with a high school diploma are more likely to be Democrats.

I always enjoy being an statistical outlier =D
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Pb

• friend
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2010, 03:56:16 PM »
I, also, I am not a member of the party most popular with my educational level.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2010, 06:42:26 PM »
My first graduate degree was in chemistry, and I consider myself a moderate independent, and I vote for Republican, Democrat and Independent candidates/issues across party lines. Washington is one of the states in which you do not have to declare a party affiliation at voting.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2010, 06:53:03 PM »
HS Graduate (top 1/3)

BB (Black & Blue) Degree from the School of Hard Knocks (pass/fail)

BA Degree in Accounting & Business Administration (3.97 gpa)

Let's see ... I was born (literally) a Southern Democrat, converted by the Prophet Reagan to Republicanism, and then gradually drifted to be a Radical Libertarian with anarchist leanings.    :lol:

Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin