Author Topic: Already tired of the gun owners crying wolf....  (Read 5035 times)

Fjolnirsson

• friends
  • The Anti-Claus
Already tired of the gun owners crying wolf....
« on: November 08, 2012, 12:43:51 PM »
Anybody else sick and tired of Chicken Little since the election? Maybe it's just Facebook, but so far in the last two days I have read three claims of a new "assault weapons ban" in the works. Two by Obama, one by Feinstein. I couldn't find bills or substantiating evidence for either of them.

Granted, we KNOW one is coming. Obama said as much, and Feinstein is Feinstein, after all. Perhaps it would be better to wait until we have evidence of something coming at us, though. Foaming at the mouth and running in circles just makes us look foolish, and wastes energy and attention which could be better used down the road, against actual threats.
Hi.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: Already tired of the gun owners crying wolf....
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 01:00:11 PM »
Ayup.

But the NRA will be sending out tomes of written pleas for your money to fight Feinsteinian legislation and the UN Gun Ban Treaty, replete with bold sections, alternated with underline points for dramatic purpose.

Chris Cox and Wayne LaPierre need to get more money to take Washington lobbyists and congresscritters to strip clubs and cigar rooms, after all.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Fjolnirsson

• friends
  • The Anti-Claus
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 01:02:00 PM »
Ugh. Don't get me started on the NRA. Thankfully, they are three address changes behind me now...
Hi.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 01:02:38 PM »
So we stick our heads in the sand until a new AWB is being debated.  If our heads are under the sand we can't see what's going on up there and our butts are up in the air playing TARGET.
Yea.  Sounds real smart . . .  [tinfoil]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2012, 01:16:31 PM »
Panicing before you have anything to fight doesn't accomplish anything either. Have you actually read the Boy Who Cried Wolf? The point is not to pretend there aren't wolves, it's to wait til there are before you rally the troops.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 01:21:34 PM »
Panicing before you have anything to fight doesn't accomplish anything either. Have you actually read the Boy Who Cried Wolf? The point is not to pretend there aren't wolves, it's to wait til there are before you rally the troops.
Thank you teach.  Have an apple.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2012, 01:27:41 PM »
Well, in the interest of not crying wolf without any hard evidence...

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/11/07/us-arms-treaty-un-idUSBRE8A627J20121107

I'm not crying wolf here yet, but I am keeping the date for these talks in mind so I'll be able to scrutinize them when they occur. Will reassess this treaty thing when that date is met (or earlier, if it's moved up).

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2012, 01:28:10 PM »
Thank you teach.  Have an apple.

Well, that's a substantiative argument.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2012, 01:37:41 PM »
Well, that's a substantiative argument.
An appropriate response to a sanctimonious argument.

Fjolnirsson

• friends
  • The Anti-Claus
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2012, 01:47:44 PM »
So we stick our heads in the sand until a new AWB is being debated.  If our heads are under the sand we can't see what's going on up there and our butts are up in the air playing TARGET.
Yea.  Sounds real smart . . .  [tinfoil]

Show me exactly which part of my post suggests sticking our heads in the sand? No, we need to pay attention, keep an eye on the bills being introduced, and regulatory changes proposed. Frothing at the mouth about things that might happen and attempting to stir people up with fear mongering will bite us in the posterior really quickly, though.
Hi.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2012, 01:55:20 PM »
Nothing wrong with having a game plan.

We are going to need more than just the NRA this time.  A little more public visibility and coordinated pressure is in order.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2012, 02:36:09 PM »
Show me exactly which part of my post suggests sticking our heads in the sand? No, we need to pay attention, keep an eye on the bills being introduced, and regulatory changes proposed. Frothing at the mouth about things that might happen and attempting to stir people up with fear mongering will bite us in the posterior really quickly, though.

I wasn't necessarily suggesting >>>>you<<<< were sticking your head in the sand, but I tend to see that there are people who are "alarmists" and those who think the "alarmists" are always "crying wolf." 
If I had to choose between those two I'd choose the alarmist side just because I think it might be safer.
Keeping your eyes on things, as you suggest, is actually more appropriate, but most of the time I see threads like this the two other extremes seem more prevelant.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2012, 02:46:23 PM »
I think we have ample proof of the agenda to disarm us.  Locally, globally, every which way.

That's not crying wolf, it's intelligent vigilance and wise preparation.  You need to get your troops ready beforehand.  We know what's coming sure as hell.
"Domari nolo."

Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

ArfinGreebly

• Level Three Geek
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2012, 02:50:46 PM »

While it is a bad idea to ignore the current dynamic and where that can lead, let me also say that living life in Condition Yellow is going to be exhausting.

Terrorism isn't about creating actual terror -- that emotion can only be sustained so long before fatigue sets in -- it's about creating a chronic air of anxiety which leads to exhaustion and impaired alertness, as well as self-restriction.

Awareness is not panic.

Create or adopt whatever channels you need to track this dynamic.  Have a plan.  Have a cadre of some kind that can support your efforts when it comes time for the plan to become action.

There are wolves.  They'll show up soon enough.  No need for hysterics.

Hysteria will do the same thing "terrorism" does.  Alertness, with a plan, with resources is necessary.

When the wolf does show up, make sure he gets a proper welcome.
"Look at it this way. If America frightens you, feel free to live somewhere else. There are plenty of other countries that don't suffer from excessive liberty. America is where the Liberty is. Liberty is not certified safe."

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2012, 02:54:00 PM »
I wasn't talking about panic, and I'm not aware of any if there is some out there.

I have noticed that RGR and SWHC are sharply up today.  :)
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

Fjolnirsson

• friends
  • The Anti-Claus
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2012, 03:13:33 PM »
While it is a bad idea to ignore the current dynamic and where that can lead, let me also say that living life in Condition Yellow is going to be exhausting.

Terrorism isn't about creating actual terror -- that emotion can only be sustained so long before fatigue sets in -- it's about creating a chronic air of anxiety which leads to exhaustion and impaired alertness, as well as self-restriction.

Awareness is not panic.

Create or adopt whatever channels you need to track this dynamic.  Have a plan.  Have a cadre of some kind that can support your efforts when it comes time for the plan to become action.

There are wolves.  They'll show up soon enough.  No need for hysterics.

Hysteria will do the same thing "terrorism" does.  Alertness, with a plan, with resources is necessary.

When the wolf does show up, make sure he gets a proper welcome.

That's what I was getting at. Thank you, Arfin.. Tommygunn, I apologize for my misinterpretation of your comment. We all know what the grabbers want, what they are going to try to do. As Arfin said, alertness with a plan, not hysteria, is what we need.
Hi.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2012, 03:18:20 PM »
Is it really crying wolf when there really is a wolf present- all the time?
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2012, 03:44:20 PM »
Rule Number 4 applies as much to gun politics as it does to gun safety....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2012, 03:57:22 PM »
Frankly, I'm sick and tired of seeing liberty go down the drain, in so many other ways than *expletive deleted*ing GUNS!!11!!!!!1111!!eleventy1!

And then, the GOP-types keep trotting out 2A hysteria as some sort of panacea to keep the flock in line, as if the 2A is actually to have any bearing when we already lose the 1A (free speech zones), 3A (drones flying freely and hovering over our houses), 4/5/6A (secret FISA courts, imprisonment without trial), 9A (all commerce is interstate commerce, individual rights are subsumed to the perceived needs of the FedGov), and 10A (Fed assault on States attempting to reclaim their own sovereignty).

And the GOP keeps up all these assaults, the same as the Dems.

Forget about the *expletive deleted*ing GUNS!

They should have been used 20 years ago, by every Texan and Idahoan, at Waco and Ruby Ridge, to put a corrupt government back in its place.

The time to use the guns is past.

The weapon now, is money and apathy.

"You don't matter and I can live in spite of you" is a million times more potent than a damned gun.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

brimic

• friends
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2012, 05:10:21 PM »
And then, the GOP-types keep trotting out 2A hysteria as some sort of panacea to keep the flock in line, as if the 2A is actually to have any bearing when we already lose the 1A (free speech zones), 3A (drones flying freely and hovering over our houses), 4/5/6A (secret FISA courts, imprisonment without trial), 9A (all commerce is interstate commerce, individual rights are subsumed to the perceived needs of the FedGov), and 10A (Fed assault on States attempting to reclaim their own sovereignty).

And the GOP keeps up all these assaults, the same as the Dems.

Forget about the *expletive deleted* GUNS!

They should have been used 20 years ago, by every Texan and Idahoan, at Waco and Ruby Ridge, to put a corrupt government back in its place.

The time to use the guns is past.

When they come to your village/city/neighboprhood to round up people for the 're-education ride' I would argue that guns will become pretty damn important for the rest of your life.

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2012/11/hours-after-obama-victory-us-backs-un-arms-treaty/
What's that sound? Sounds like wolves howling...
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 05:14:49 PM by brimic »
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Frank Castle

• friend
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2012, 08:03:01 PM »
AWB will happen after a high value target is shot.

The shooter will be unemployed male , who lost his house , wife and kids.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2012, 08:04:50 PM »
Ayup.

But the NRA will be sending out tomes of written pleas for your money to fight Feinsteinian legislation and the UN Gun Ban Treaty, replete with bold sections, alternated with underline points for dramatic purpose.

Chris Cox and Wayne LaPierre need to get more money to take Washington lobbyists and congresscritters to strip clubs and cigar rooms, after all.

This is awesome formatting and so true, unfortunately.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2012, 08:13:38 PM »
AWB will happen after a high value target is shot.

The shooter will be unemployed male , who lost his house , wife and kids.

Or another Colorado. Everyone's mind is on the economy right now. If the Dems put something as contentious as the AWB on the forefront now, it will not look good for them. On the other hand, if there's a mass shooting with an EBR, they WILL take advantage of that, and I'm not so sure the House majority will go much out of the way to block it, because they'll be afraid for their jobs (and keeping the House majority) in 2014.

Joe Public 2 minute attention span doesn't care about the AWB if there's no story to focus on. They do care about it, and want government to "do something now!" If a story about a shooting is all over the MSM.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2012, 08:42:29 PM »
Or another Colorado.
Why not the first one? Or any of the others? It seems like they've had the opportunity if they were going to go for it. I doubt the economy will be any better by the time it happens again.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2012, 08:42:45 PM »
... if there's a mass shooting with an EBR...

That can be arranged.  [tinfoil]

Yeah, that was a blatant bit of tinfoil humor on my part, but, with adequate foreknowledge of a person's particular psychological profile and proclivities I don't think it'd be too hard to push them into a nothing-left-to-lose X-group-is-responsible-for-my-woe situation, and this regime has already demonstrated that it's willing to let people die or go to prison on the basis of political expediency.