Author Topic: On Microaggression  (Read 5047 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
On Microaggression
« on: November 30, 2015, 03:40:54 PM »
I thought this was an interesting article on the current microaggression phenomenon. Especially identifying it as a modern perversion of the honor culture, where, instead of fighting the duel yourself regarding a perceived slight, you bring in a powerful "champion", whether the government, an administrator afraid of being sued, etc. Someone bureaucratically more powerful than your opponent(s) to fight your battles for you. Where there is no chance of you getting your ass kicked, or a bullet from a dueling pistol through your heart, a system is created that allows victimhood without consequence.

Though I suspect at some point we will finally reach a tipping point where there will be consequences. When it's just one, or a few, bogeymen, like old white men or conservatives, it can continue. Now it seems to have reached a point where everyone from the right to the left is offensive in some way, and I think a bitch slap is coming.

http://righteousmind.com/where-microaggressions-really-come-from/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

brimic

• friends
Re: On Microaggression
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2015, 04:06:05 PM »
The bitchslap can't possibly come soon enough or hard enough.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2015, 04:44:12 PM »
The bitchslap can't possibly come soon enough or hard enough.

And it needs to be done til the slapper (sp) gets tired
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2015, 06:52:38 PM »
"It's good, though..."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2015, 11:39:32 PM »
Now it seems to have reached a point where everyone from the right to the left is offensive in some way, and I think a bitch slap is coming.

The bitch slap can't possibly come too soon. Another week of these offense protests and I'll have to start walking and driving around with a gag in my mouth.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

griz

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2015, 07:30:49 AM »
At Oklahoma Wesleyan University a student complained to the university president because a sermon made him feel guilty.  I thought the response fit in here very well:

If you want the chaplain to tell you you’re a victim rather than tell you that you need virtue, this may not be the university you’re looking for. If you want to complain about a sermon that makes you feel less than loving for not showing love, this might be the wrong place.

If you’re more interested in playing the “hater” card than you are in confessing your own hate; if you want to arrogantly lecture, rather than humbly learn; if you don’t want to feel guilt in your soul when you are guilty of sin; if you want to be enabled rather than confronted, there are many universities across the land (in Missouri and elsewhere) that will give you exactly what you want, but Oklahoma Wesleyan isn’t one of them.

At OKWU, we teach you to be selfless rather than self-centered. We are more interested in you practicing personal forgiveness than political revenge. We want you to model interpersonal reconciliation rather than foment personal conflict. We believe the content of your character is more important than the color of your skin. We don’t believe that you have been victimized every time you feel guilty and we don’t issue “trigger warnings” before altar calls.

Oklahoma Wesleyan is not a “safe place”, but rather, a place to learn: to learn that life isn’t about you, but about others; that the bad feeling you have while listening to a sermon is called guilt; that the way to address it is to repent of everything that’s wrong with you rather than blame others for everything that’s wrong with them. This is a place where you will quickly learn that you need to grow up.

This is not a day care. This is a university!
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2015, 08:43:10 AM »
At Oklahoma Wesleyan University a student complained to the university president because a sermon made him feel guilty.  I thought the response fit in here very well:

Who wrote that, the OKWU president?  Or is it an apocryphal story from the Internet?  (either way, it's very good.  I hope it's true)

ETA: Nevermind.  http://www.okwu.edu/blog/2015/11/this-is-not-a-day-care-its-a-university/
"It's good, though..."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2015, 08:46:31 AM »
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2015, 09:19:05 AM »
I suspect that Thomas Jefferson's relationship with UVA will become an issue at some point.  Hopefully, the President of the university would handle it better than she handled the Rolling Stone article.
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2015, 03:30:07 PM »
I suspect that Thomas Jefferson's relationship with UVA will become an issue at some point.  Hopefully, the President of the university would handle it better than she handled the Rolling Stone article.

I actually laughed out loud at the thought that she'd handle it in any way dissimilar to the Rolling Stone rape hoax.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2015, 10:36:59 AM »
I did not watch the referenced video, but as I read the description, I couldn't help but come up with an image of a bizarro "beatnik 1984", with a totalitarian little punk yelling at the professor, while surrounded by a group of brainwashed acolytes, all silently snapping their fingers.

Too bad for the professors, who apparently were up to this point well-liked and respected by the students.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/12/08/yale-couple-flees-classroom-amid-free-speech-chill/?intcmp=hpbt4
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2015, 11:02:20 AM »
Idiots desperately looking for *any* real or imagined slight they can take offense at, so they can get their self-righteous on.  (the girl in the Yale video deserved a hard slap in the face.  I'm not sure how the prof showed so much restraint)
"It's good, though..."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2015, 12:15:42 PM »
I was obviously correct in pointing out that recognizing same-sex "marriages" would give credibility to other fabricated grievances. To hear some of our "tolerant" members decrying the social justice warrior nonsense they themselves promoted is amusing.  :P
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2015, 01:42:24 PM »
I was obviously correct in pointing out that recognizing same-sex "marriages" would give credibility to other fabricated grievances. To hear some of our "tolerant" members decrying the social justice warrior nonsense they themselves promoted is amusing.  :P

That's rich coming from a man who was all butthurt because the gayz 'stole' the word marriage.

"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2015, 01:45:31 PM »
What happened to JFK saying, "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you — ask what you can do for your country."

I tend to believe that at one time the Democrats were actually the Republicans and vice versa.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2015, 03:25:49 PM »
What happened to JFK saying, "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you — ask what you can do for your country."

I tend to believe that at one time the Democrats were actually the Republicans and vice versa.
Then you go back 20 years further to FDR and maybe Woodrow Wilson and remind yourself that JFK was a bit of an outlier and might not look so good if he had finished out his term(s). 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2015, 03:43:44 PM »
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/12/08/yale-couple-flees-classroom-amid-free-speech-chill/?intcmp=hpbt4

I made the mistake of watching the video.  The "student" was a spoiled child throwing a temper tantrum. 

Too bad there won't be video of her entering the real world and working a real job.  The meltdown would be epic.
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2015, 03:51:03 PM »
That's rich coming from a man who was all butthurt because the gayz 'stole' the word marriage.

Ted Cruz weeps over your microaggression towards the Conservative White Christian Male.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2015, 04:55:54 PM »
I made the mistake of watching the video.  The "student" was a spoiled child throwing a temper tantrum. 

Too bad there won't be video of her entering the real world and working a real job.  The meltdown would be epic.

Now you got me to actually watch it. You owe me 300 brain cells. It would normally be 600, but since I'm the moron that posted the link, I have to take half the responsibility.  :laugh:

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2015, 05:23:46 PM »

Not make sense.

I said that you shouldn't complain about social justice warriors, when you (by endorsing the codification of SSM) are a social justice warrior.

So what are you saying?

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2015, 06:54:34 PM »

Not make sense.

I said that you shouldn't complain about social justice warriors, when you (by endorsing the codification of SSM) are a social justice warrior.

So what are you saying?

That you got offended over the use of a word.

also, you apparently don't know what a SJW is. I endorsed the codification of a law that I believe rectified an issue within our legal system that was unequal in it's application. I didn't say anyone had to like it, love the gays, nor do I give a *expletive deleted*it about anyone being offended. The government doesn't have the right to dictate which legal adults can marry which other legal adults. Doesn't matter if anyone loves it or hates it. It just is.

Furthermore, what I actually endorsed was that the government get out of the marriage license business all together, but nooooo.... nobody listened to some basic *expletive deleted*ing common sense and now we get to listen to you lot whine like babies because of it.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2015, 07:10:17 PM »
That you got offended over the use of a word.

;/  The SSM issue is not about word usage, obviously. And I don't recall ever claiming that I'm not offended by words. I've mentioned several words that offend me, for various reasons. Being offended by stuff is normal, and does not make one a social justice warrior.

also, you apparently don't know what a SJW is. I endorsed the codification of a law that I believe rectified an issue within our legal system that was unequal in it's application.

That right there is what makes you a social justice warrior. Your belief was irrational from the very beginning. You (and people like you) complained about a non-problem, until you created a problem. No one's rights were violated by heterosexist marriage laws, because homosexual marriage is something no law can create. Now people's rights have been violated (eg. bakers and such). Now our college campuses are crippled by people following in your footsteps. You are a social justice warrior. You made yourself a part of the problem.

I laugh at you.  :-*

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2015, 07:15:33 PM »
because homosexual marriage is something no law can create.

Actually, that was created. It exists. Homosexual marriage was created by a law. In this country. It's in effect right now.

So, ummm... yeah... apparently you were wrong on that one.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2015, 07:24:58 PM »
They are not marriages.  :-*

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2015, 07:46:53 PM »
How about you guys take it to PM or start another topic (that will probably get locked) before I have to lock one of my own threads once again.