Author Topic: Does APS allow criticism?  (Read 1667 times)

taurusowner

Does APS allow criticism?
« on: January 25, 2009, 11:16:05 PM »
Does APS allow criticism and debate about policies on APS?  I've got some things on my mind, but don't want to broach the subject it may get me banned for even talking about it.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
Re: Does APS allow criticism?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 11:18:09 PM »
Off with his head!!

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 11:21:03 PM »
Does APS allow criticism and debate about policies on APS?  I've got some things on my mind, but don't want to broach the subject it may get me banned for even talking about it.

Hate to break it, but we're not going to know until someone tries.   If they bring up criticism in a constructive, non-vulgar manner, and they get banned, we know APS is on the way of THR.   If they're still around and the thread isn't locked/deleted...  It's a good sign.

I have a few thoughts of my own.  Hell, I'll volunteer to be the lab rat. 

Hey Irwin, could you please come up with a formal set of rules for what exactly is or is not supposed to go in political?  At this point, we'd be better off if someone nuked that folder and we just rolled political threads into every other one.  There is no clear standard, it looks mostly arbitrary.  I PM'd other mods for guidance, and they were as stumped as I am.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2009, 11:22:27 PM »
Say it, be the litmus test.

(I don't think anything will happen to you, though)
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2009, 11:22:47 PM »
Off with his head!!

Piker.  The Heretic should be boiled in oil!

If you've grievances about the way APS is run taurusowner, the best place to bring such up is in a PM to one of the Mods, rather in the the open forum where all can see it as reason to vent their spleen.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2009, 11:25:56 PM »
If you have an issue with a policy, PM a staff member.

The surest way to get canned is to drop a "THIS IS WHY YOU SUCK SO BAD!!!!" thread in one of the forums here.

We've adopted the policies that we have for a reason, among them to maintain the nature of the Armed POLITE Society, to provide a posting venue that is of use to the most people possible, and to take into account the fact that staff here is all-volunteer with lives outside of the internet.

In general, though, the operating policies here are not open for debate. This isn't a democracy. It's a favor and privilege extended to us all by the owner, Oleg Volk.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

taurusowner

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2009, 11:30:57 PM »
What's the likelihood of any issues actually being dressed versus basically being told "too bad, that's the way it is"?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2009, 11:37:37 PM »
Revdisk,

There is only one hard and fast rule for Politics Place:

No puerile name calling, no reinventing of names, etc.

As for what is, and what is not, a political topic, I am not sure that I can, or even want to, come up with anything better, or more understandable, than what is contained in this thread, which has been stickied at the top of Politics Place since it opened:

http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=9081.0

All I'm asking people to do is use just a tiny bit of common sense and thought when they think that they have something for Politics Place.

If it's about a politician doing his or her job as an elected official, it's politics.

If it's a picture of a politician on the House floor picking his nose, it's NOT politics, primarily because they don't sign bills with boogers.

If it's about a piece of pending legislation, legislation that has been passed, or legislation that is being proposed, it is politics.

If it's a screed, tin-foil time piece about what you THINK someone in Congress is going to introduce in the last seconds of the last hour in an effort to hoodwink the American public and bring down crushing tyrany, it's not politics, it's conspiracy theory, and it belongs somewhere else on the internet entirely.

Everyone here should be familiar enough with the political processes of the United States to be able to discern what is, and what is not, a political topic.

Ultimately, though, the staff might have a different idea and move the topic.

Don't take it as a personal affront, don't take it as a besmirchment of your manhood, etc.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2009, 11:39:24 PM »
What's the likelihood of any issues actually being dressed versus basically being told "too bad, that's the way it is"?

As a resident hot-head and one to get into a fracasse in a forum or two, I can tell you with confidence that an intelligent discussion of a rational concern is likely to be given, at worst, respectable lip service.  At best, your concerns may serve as constructive criticism.

Still best to at least begin to frame the discussion with the Mod who you feel is the source of all evil in the intarwebzworld, then bring those parts out that need further constructive dialogue out into the open once you and that Mod feel that it is appropriate.

While the ban-schwerk is worthy of respect, it is more often brandished than used to smite.  <hey, where did my account go?  Did I just get schwerked? :O>
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2009, 11:39:38 PM »

As I just said, take it up with a staff member via PM.

If you have a good idea, we'll consider it. But please don't, as many before you have, get all pissy because we won't bend our way of business here just to suit you.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2009, 11:40:36 PM »
OK, I've given the course of action that needs to be pursued, and this thread is starting to go afield.