Author Topic: New motorcycle in the garage  (Read 2245 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
New motorcycle in the garage
« on: October 27, 2008, 05:41:26 PM »
As mentioned earlier, I had been thinking over the past few months about getting a relatively small and lightweight dual sport motorcycle, preferably single cylinder and air-cooled.  I had been looking at the 250-650 cc models (Yamaha XT 250, Honda CF230L, Kawasaki Super Sherpa and KLR 650 and the Suzuki V-strom,  DRZ400 and DR650.  In comparing the specs, the 250 models were not all that smaller and lighter than the 400 and the 650s.  This motorcycle would be 70% street and 30% Forest Service/logging/fire road.  For the gnarly single-track, I prefer to do those on my mountain bike. 

I had gone to the dealers and kicked some tires.  Of all the options, I had liked the Suzuki DR650 the best, since it could easily be dropped with a built-in link and a gel seat could be substituted, dropping the seat height from 34.8 to around 32 inches.  This seat height would allow me to almost flatfoot the bike, which I wanted for an urban commuter in our hilly wet terrain, where sometimes you need all the stability at a stop that you can get.  The KLR was too heavy and too high for my intended use, although it sure rode nice.  The 250 cc models would not cut it on the state highways or freeway necessary to get to the mountains and trails.  They topped out speedwise in the mid 60's to low 70's at best on the flat, and lord knows what speed they would hit up on the slope to the mountain passes. 

So I started watching Ebay, CycleTrader, Craigslist and the local listings.  I discovered that very few of the 400 and 650 cc dual sports ever seemed to go on the market.  I figured that the owners must have just loved them and kept them forever.  I went to the local Suzuki dealer and discovered that a new 2009 DR650 with the lowering kit and the gel seat would run me just over $ 5900 out the door with installation of the kit, taxes, dealer prep and etc.  So I was mulling over actually getting a new bike and just eating the depreciation. 

Lo and behold I spied a Craigslist listing on Sunday for a Suzuki DR 650.  I immediately called the guy and went over to look at it.  It was a 2008 model with the lowering kit and gel seat already installed.  He got it in March and never rode it after getting it home from the dealer.  It had 17 miles on it.  He was out of work and wanted $ 4000 for it.   I instantly cut a deal at that price, came home and drew up the bill of sale, went to the bank today and got $ 4000 cash and just now got back from riding it home.  The use tax for title transfer will run me another $ 350 or so. 

It is one sweet bike.  Although the instrumentation is very basic, I can tell that this is going to be a lot of fun.  Quite the windblast at speed, though, with no fairings or windshield. 

Although I had not planned to get a new bike until the spring, I knew I had to jump on this one!

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

freedom lover

• resident high school student
  • "Who is the Coon?"
Re: New motorcycle in the garage
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2008, 05:51:14 PM »
We can haz piks?

mgdavis

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2008, 05:59:32 PM »
Very nice. Great price too.

Lee

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2008, 08:14:07 PM »
Sweet bike and deal.  Have fun and be careful.

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2008, 12:37:44 AM »
So we ought to have a PNW dualsport run, maybe around the canal and into the Natioal forest over by quillcene? Bring a couple plinkers and have some fun!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2008, 10:55:34 AM »
Congratulations!  :)

(though I still prefer forking a horse rather than a murder-cycle  :laugh:)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Ghostrider66

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2008, 05:05:53 PM »
Awesome!  I just bought a used 2008 DR650 with 1400 miles on it a couple of months ago.  You don't fit in with ANY of the other bike people but who cares?  You can beat any of the street bikes off-road and forget any of the other dirt bikes on the road.  Basically, you just bought the Jeep of motorcycles.  Hey, BTW, mine did not come with an owner's manual.  If you happen to ever feel in a crazy scanning mood...I'd be your best friend! =D
Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2008, 05:16:35 PM »
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Ghostrider66

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2008, 05:28:42 PM »
Thank you kindly Mr. Tuttle!  I tried downloading the service manual twice but there must be a strange issue with it.  the first time, the file relsulted in  a 51MB file (the files seems to be 82MB) and the second time only 24MB.  It seems to be downloading the same thing.  Also, not sure if it's the owner's manual or not.  I downloaded one yesterday that looks to be the same size and it is truly a service manual (as in the one that the dealership service techs would use).  Anyway, good stuff there truly.
Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2008, 06:12:29 PM »
Keep the rubber side down...
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2008, 06:17:27 PM »
I did not get the owner's manual either, and I have been looking for it online to no avail.  I have also found and downloaded the 82MB service manual, but would still like to find the owners manual.  Let me know if you ever find one. 

PS: And now that I am down to just two motorcycles, the 04 Aprilia Scarabeo 500 maxi-scooter and the 08 Suzuki DR650se, I really don't fit in with any of the groups now.  Between the two motorcycles and the five bicycles in the garage, I pretty much have the two wheel options covered. 
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 06:20:50 PM by MillCreek »

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2008, 07:20:52 PM »
If a manual is available online, someone over at http://advrider.com/ knows where to find it.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2008, 07:37:39 PM »
I have searched ADVRider and posted there to no avail.  I have also searched and posted at Thumpertalk.  No joy on the owners manual; much joy on the service manual.