Author Topic: Computer problem!  (Read 846 times)

Declaration Day

• friends
Computer problem!
« on: April 20, 2010, 07:24:44 PM »
I noticed today that Google Earth mysteriously disappeared from my computer.  All attempts to download and re-install it are fruitless.  Not a single component of the download shows up in a search, except the executable file to install it.  Even after I run the install and it's supposedly installed!

I have a 3 month old Acer laptop with Windows 7, and McAfee says my system is clean.  Also, everything else works perfectly.

Any suggestions?

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Computer problem!
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 07:35:06 PM »
Google has been doing this to all their Google Earth customers.  Next, they try to sell you Google Computer, to find the "lost" files. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 07:40:53 PM »
I'm not computer-savvy enough to know if you are joking.  Fess up, or as tradition mandates I will blame it on you.  :lol:

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 07:42:52 PM »
Ha! Someone else that this happens to! I still haven't found a complete fix yet. I've had it happen three times on a Win7 machine I've had for about 5 months.

The reinstall trick that's worked for me is to download the full install version. You can get it via the link below, provided by a Google employee on their support forum (this is a known issue that they haven't solved yet). You want the one called googleearthwin, not anything with "setup" in the name.

http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/earth/thread?tid=5807fedf84f63fb1&hl=en
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 07:44:38 PM »
Google Earth mysteriously disappeared

The Vogons are making way for a galactic by-pass  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010, 07:48:03 PM »
Ha! Someone else that this happens to! I still haven't found a complete fix yet. I've had it happen three times on a Win7 machine I've had for about 5 months.

The reinstall trick that's worked for me is to download the full install version. You can get it via the link below, provided by a Google employee on their support forum (this is a known issue that they haven't solved yet). You want the one called googleearthwin, not anything with "setup" in the name.

http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/earth/thread?tid=5807fedf84f63fb1&hl=en

Working on that right now, thanks!

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2010, 08:01:34 PM »
That worked!  Thanks!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2010, 08:04:33 PM »
No problemo. :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2010, 10:02:11 PM »
Me joking. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife