Author Topic: Oregon Grocery Store Shooting  (Read 1390 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Oregon Grocery Store Shooting
« on: August 29, 2022, 07:53:44 AM »
East Bend Oregon
3 dead including the shooter
"AR-15" "style" rifle and shotgun recovered.

This part of note

While it has not been confirmed, social media users report the shooter had a manifesto where he discusses being suicidal and evil and takes full responsibility for his actions. He reportedly planned to carry out a school shooting on the first day back, Sept. 8, at the local high school but changed his mind because he couldn't "wait any longer."

Oregon Grocery Store Shooting Leaves 3 Dead
https://townhall.com/tipsheet/leahbarkoukis/2022/08/29/oregon-grocery-store-shooting-leaves-3-dead-n2612353

Local news reports AR-15 "style" rifle. Could mean anything from a rusty Blunderbuss to a 40w Pulse Rifle

Gunman opens fire at East Bend shopping center, inside Safeway: 3 people dead, including shooter
https://ktvz.com/news/crime-courts/2022/08/28/gunman-opens-fire-at-east-bend-shopping-center-inside-safeway-3-people-dead-including-shooter/

2 seems like a rather low death toll for something that doesn't leave bodies to ID.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
Re: Oregon Grocery Store Shooting
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2022, 08:28:59 AM »
Doesn't say why or how Shooter Guy stopped/was stopped.

"Has a manifesto".  Grab a copy if you see it. 

And I'll bet S.G.'s social media has been totally scrubbed by now.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2022, 12:04:16 PM by lee n. field »
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2022, 08:37:14 AM »
Such a shame that this happened.  Bend used to be a nice town.  It seems that it's becoming a typical lefty Oregon crap hole, unfortunately.
When I went to rocket launches out at Brothers, east of Bend, we used to stay at the Sleep Inn just across 27th Street from that Safeway.  We'd go to that Safeway to stock up on snacks and drinks to take to the launch each morning.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2022, 08:40:08 AM »
Such a shame that this happened.  Bend used to be a nice town.  It seems that it's becoming a typical lefty Oregon crap hole, unfortunately.
When I went to rocket launches out at Brothers, east of Bend, we used to stay at the Sleep Inn just across 27th Street from that Safeway.  We'd go to that Safeway to stock up on snacks and drinks to take to the launch each morning.

Yeah, the last time I was in Bend, it could have been Portland East, with all the freakin' hippies and commies everywhere. Sad, as it's a beautiful area.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2022, 09:35:27 AM »
News said shooter is dead and responding LE did not fire a shot.

So, either he offed himself or a citizen took him out.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2022, 12:55:21 PM »
News said shooter is dead and responding LE did not fire a shot.

So, either he offed himself or a citizen took him out.

I have family in Bend and visit sometimes.  It certainly has some of that hippie drifter component due to the seasonal recreational offerings; mountain biking, skiing and windboarding (Columbia River Gorge is famous for that) draw that community pretty strongly.  But it's still a pretty conservative town, definitely belonging in "Jefferson" rather than Oregon and fits with the politics of Pendleton, Yakima, Spokane and other east-of-the-Cascades metro areas of Washington and Oregon.  I suspect that he encountered resistance.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2022, 07:46:25 PM »
https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/29/us/safeway-shooting-bend-oregon/index.html

Complains about his love life.  I am thinking he is an incel.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2022, 07:57:23 AM »
https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/police-safeway-worker-hid-fought-gunman-with-produce-knife/

Mr. Donald Surrett, a Safeway employee, attacked the shooter with a produce knife. Mr. Surrett had a 20 year career as a combat engineer in the Army.  We need more people like Mr. Surrett.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2022, 08:05:45 AM »
They're still using the term AR-15 "style" rifle.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2022, 08:11:05 AM »
We need more people like Mr. Surrett.

Indeed.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2022, 08:40:57 AM »
They're still using the term AR-15 "style" rifle.

What model rifle was used?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2022, 08:47:27 AM »
What model rifle was used?

I haven't seeing anything yet. Just noting the term AR-15 style rifle which in media parlance could mean any semi, sorry, FULL semi auto evil looking rifle.
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2022, 10:42:35 AM »
Now got something
Note: AR didn't even have sights on it in the photos. Don't know if it was still in that condition during the shooting.
Oh, and the guy was a bit of a creep. and a violent one at that.
Not sure which way the "fake" land of the free bit is pointing in yet (left or right).
3 Molotov cocktails and sawed off shotgun found in his car.
He worked for a time at the same Safeway.

PICTURED: Safeway shooter, 20, who shot dead worker, 66, and shopper, 84, was a depressed loner inspired by Columbine and detailed his murderous plans in sick two-month countdown diary where he railed against America's 'fake' land of the free claim
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11159153/Raging-Safeway-shooter-depressed-loner-inspired-Columbine-detailed-shooting-plans.html
- Calvin and Hobbes

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2022, 11:09:46 AM »
There's pictures of him shooting the AR (or posing on a range anyway) without sights, so it seems likely that's how he was using it.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2022, 11:18:11 AM »
There's pictures of him shooting the AR (or posing on a range anyway) without sights, so it seems likely that's how he was using it.

Yeah, noticed that one too.
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2022, 11:32:22 AM »
Based on stock, grip, and tube I'm guessing Radical Firearms

- Calvin and Hobbes

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2022, 10:38:00 PM »
So does anyone know how he got taken out or did he do himself?

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2022, 11:55:50 PM »
So does anyone know how he got taken out or did he do himself?

He was a suicide.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2022, 09:14:39 AM »
He was a suicide.

I don’t understand why these type of suicidal folks don’t just walk out in the woods and off themselves instead of trying to take others with them.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2022, 09:53:41 AM »

Resident firearms expert here to inform you: the AR15 is a military-grade assault weapon, typically used without sights of any kind. It fires an extremely powerful round, that vaporizes any living flesh within 50 meters of it’s point of impact. Obviously, sights are not needed for such a destructive device.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2022, 11:16:47 AM »
Resident firearms expert here to inform you: the AR15 is a military-grade assault weapon, typically used without sights of any kind. It fires an extremely powerful round, that vaporizes any living flesh within 50 meters of it’s point of impact. Obviously, sights are not needed for such a destructive device.

So, you're a Democrat.  I've been wondering about that.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2022, 11:24:54 AM »
So, you're a Democrat.  I've been wondering about that.

A true democrat wouldn't have forgotten to say they're a symbol of white supremacy, impact POC the most, and are Trump's fault.
- Calvin and Hobbes

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2022, 11:52:19 AM »
Sounds like it was suicide after encountering resistance. A very underreported category of mass shooting ending. The deceased employee and an almost African belief in the power of unaimed fire likely saved many lives.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2022, 01:29:45 PM »
...It fires an extremely powerful round, that vaporizes any living flesh within 50 meters of it’s point of impact. Obviously, sights are not needed for such a destructive device.

Here in the Deep South, we call those 12ga Magnum Shotguns.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2022, 01:42:38 PM »
A true democrat wouldn't have forgotten to say they're a symbol of white supremacy, impact POC the most, and are Trump's fault.

Doesn’t need Trump.  Being the poster formerly known as fistful, he’s his own fault.
Formerly sumpnz