Author Topic: estimates on new construction  (Read 1009 times)

mfree

• friend
estimates on new construction
« on: December 22, 2005, 11:55:07 AM »
Well, now that it's fairly obvious that I'll be closing on my property before the end of January, I figure I'd go ahead and start looking into my plans on it's expansion. It's a little house on a double lot, and I want to add some garage/workshop space as well as a couple extra rooms to it later on.

It's going to be just a basic 24x36 three bay garage with a second floor. It'll be on a hill so the first floor will be exposed on the front and against dirt on the back, so I figure that'll have to be concrete.

Who knows of a good place I can gather some numbers about for making a construction estimate for varied methods? I'm going to keep this fairly simple save for two things... I want a hydraulic lift in the garage (means extra thick slab and ~10' or more ceiling) and the connection to the house will be another seperate two rooms, utility and a half bath. Second floor of the garage will be vaulted, so no rafters, etc.

I'm not throwing out any construction methods... pure block, regular stick, SIP panel, steel beam, it's all in.

er.... how does someone finance something like that too? It would essentially double the floor space of the house and I'll bet would double the worth...

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2005, 01:13:13 PM »
Do you want to be your own general contractor (nightmare), or do you just want to bring in a general to take care of biznez?  I suggest making a full on list of exactly what you need done, figure out what you'll do yourself, and start getting bids.  Get all estimates in writing.  When you select your contractor, agree on a price.  I know a guy who got jacked with $40k in overage on WOOD ALONE.  He thought a handshake was enough with his contractor and got prison     out of it.

Then get a loan:
Check with your bank about a new construction loan.  Tell them what you want to do and they will have ideas on the best way to finance it.  Then, shop around for the best rate.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2005, 04:24:18 PM »
Ask each contractor you talk to to give you addresses and contacts for other jobs they have completed. Check with those people and find out how they felt the contractor did. Did he finish in the time allotted? Did he show up when he said he would?  Did he have any major foul ups that set the job back? Did he and his crew keep a CLEAN worksite? Did they provide a porta potty so his crew didn't pee and crap all over the jobsite? Did he jack the price as things went along or finish within the original budget? Did he pay his crews on time or were they always complaining about him being slow to pay? Etc etc...

Check the BBB for any complaints on record for the contractor.

Most of all be CAREFUL! I've seen plenty of contractors that take from the next job to finish the last one. Eventually that catches up to them and people end up stuck having paid out money for a job left unfinished by a now bankrupt contractor. I've seen it a number of times now. Then they just change the name of their company and go out and start all over again. It's unbelievable.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

BozemanMT

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2005, 01:12:34 PM »
Take your best estimate, double it, add 20%
that puts you in the ballpark.  :-)

See if you can find a construction ...... (arrrghh, can't think of the word), anyway, instead of bidding teh whole job, they charge you by the hour anytime they are around, and add 10 to 20% to the sub's bill for their time and setup and gaurantee.

This way nobody shorts trying to make a profit (since they fixed bid it) and you can pick and choose the subs he presents and what level of things you want.  Generally, they may let you get some of the materials yourself (although no gaurantee obviously)

I've done this twice (same guy) and it's been very effective.  He knows he's making money, I know I'm not getting ripped and I don't have to be aroudn to watch the subs do work.  (and he does the carpentry).

But seriously, guess high and add some coverage, you will be off.
and don't pay til final inspection is passed.
Generally, most contractors want any money for special orders (which seems fair) upon signing.  Then half upon passing some rough inspection, then the rest upon passing final inspection.  Sub's won't give a crap about you (regular one guy) but they do care about pleasing the general/construction...... who will give them more business.
Brian
CO

From land of the free and home of the brave to land of the fee and home of the slave

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2005, 01:19:15 PM »
Construction costs are, unfortunately, often geographically unique (they vary by area). Getting a rule-of-thumb cost estimator for an area other than your own will probaly be a waste of time.

Call two or three contractors in your area. Give them a rough idea of what you will be wanting and see if they will ballpark it for you. Better yet, call a real estate agent and ask them for what new construction is going for in your area. Or you can just drive around a neighborhood where homes are 'kinda like' the one you want to build and ask what the prices are.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB