Author Topic: Home Depot worker wears 'under God' button more than year, then gets fired  (Read 9936 times)

Desertdog

• friends
I bet that the “One nation under God, indivisible” will be a very popular button, and I think this kid will be able to go to nursing school and not having to worry about the cost.

Home Depot worker wears 'under God' button more than year, then gets fired
By By BRYAN GARNER WPTV Newschannel 5

http://www.tcpalm.com/news/2009/oct/23/home-depot-worker-wears-under-god-button-more/

OKEECHOBEE — Trevor Keezer didn’t start working at The Home Depot to make a religious statement. He just wanted to earn money for college.

“I want to go to school to become a nurse,” said the 20-year-old Okeechobee resident.

Keezer says for 19 months, ever since he started working as a cashier at The Home Depot in Okeechobee, he’s worn a button with an American flag on it that reads: “One nation under God, indivisible.”

Keezer sees the quotation, taken from the pledge of allegiance, as his way of supporting American troops at war, and of expressing his Christian faith.

In December, his older brother Army Spc. Steven Keezer Jr., is scheduled to deploy to Iraq for his second tour of duty.

For more than a year, Keezer says none of his managers mentioned the button on his Home Depot apron, except one supervisor who commented she liked it.

“She actually wanted to wear it,” Keezer said.

Then, last month, when he started bringing his Bible to work, Keezer says his manager confronted him about the button.

“That’s when I was told it had to come off, or I would be sent home. So they sent me home for six straight days without pay. And then today they terminated me,” he said.

Craig Fishel, a spokesman for The Home Depot, said he could not comment on specific personnel issues, but added, “The company’s dress code policy states that we do not allow noncompany buttons, regardless of their message or content.”

Fishel says Home Depot has a “proud history” of supporting the military, and that it sanctions several of its own buttons for employees to wear, including one that reads: “United We Stand.”

Keezer said he preferred to wear his button because “you can’t have country without God. Every pin they showed me had no ‘God’ on it or anything.”

Fishel says the company gives employees several warnings when they violate the dress policy before terminating them.

But Keezer says, “It never crossed my mind to take off the button because I’m standing for something that’s bigger than I am. They kept telling me the severity of what you’re doing and I just let God be in control and went with His plan.”

Keezer says he was a model employee at Home Depot and he liked his job.

“I was cashier of the month and I’ve won six ‘Homer’ awards — that’s the highest award you can get at Home Depot.”

Keezer has the support of his family. “I’m so proud of him,” said his mother, Francine.

Local business owners are rallying to his cause, too.

Jim McCoin, owner of Cowboy’s Barbecue and Steak Co., said, “Amen. I am proud of him. If you can’t stand for what you believe in, then why be there.”

McCoin says he’d like to order some of the “One nation under God” buttons for the employees of his two local restaurants.

As for Keezer, he says he didn’t set out to make a religious statement, but now that he has, he believes he’s done the right thing.

“I want to be a voice for the rest of the Christians and for the citizens of this country to stand up for the country. You know, quit being told to sit down. Say what you want to say and don’t be afraid of the consequences,” he said.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
So is he working at Cowboy’s Barbecue and Steak now or did Jim McCoin just use this for publicity?
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Standing Wolf

• friend
My best guess: the Home Depot manager is very soon going to find himself flipping burgers all over again.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
you greatly overestimate the intelligence of home depot corporate management
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/At-will_employment

I'm trying to be outraged.  Okay, not really.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

brimic

• friends
I guess they didn't like his piece of flair.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

AZRedhawk44

• friends

You stole my comment.  Comment-stealer. =(

+1.  There.   =D
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Jamisjockey

• friend

good thing I'm not drinking tonight, cause giggled and snorted...
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Nick1911

• Administrator
So... he broke a company policy.  Repeatedly and purposefully.  Doesn't sound like he has a leg to stand on for a wrongful termination suit.  Least not in my book.

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
Let me try to work up some outrage on this one...

-knowingly broke company policy
-was warned that continuing to do so would be cause for termination
-continued
-terminated

Yeah... I'm just not feeling any sympathy...
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

slugcatcher

• friend
Re: Home Depot worker wears 'under God' button more than year, then gets fired
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2009, 08:25:38 AM »
The former employee doesn't have a legal leg to stand on in this. He violated knowingly company policy and was warned several times. The only thing that might hurt them is that they let it slide for a year.

nraforlife

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2009, 08:37:02 AM »
“I want to be a voice for the rest of the Christians ........................

kid your mindless support of useless criminal wars does not speak for me. Take what happened as a Warning from Above. Just maybe God does bot Want to be wrapped in any flag.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2009, 08:49:00 AM »
Let me try to work up some outrage on this one...

-knowingly broke company policy
-was warned that continuing to do so would be cause for termination
-continued
-terminated

Yeah... I'm just not feeling any sympathy...

For more than a year, Keezer says none of his managers mentioned the button on his Home Depot apron, except one supervisor who commented she liked it.

If he had worn if for over a year AND the company had that policy for over a year, that's tacit approval. Changing their minds and enforcing it NOW looks like they had some other reason to go after him.

I'm fine that Home Depot fired him. I hope they're ready for the consequences, though.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Vlad

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2009, 08:58:59 AM »
If he had worn if for over a year AND the company had that policy for over a year, that's tacit approval. Changing their minds and enforcing it NOW looks like they had some other reason to go after him.

I'm fine that Home Depot fired him. I hope they're ready for the consequences, though.

I'm pretty sure that company policy is still in effect even if you've never been "caught" breaking it and even if one supervisor (or many) don't call you out on it. I'm just about positive that I can be fired in any state for sleeping with my boss (which she'd have to approve of) if there's a policy against fraternization, even if it went on for 19 months before hand.

I'm also pretty sure it's a moot point since Florida is an "at will employment" state. It's not likely this kid has a leg to stand on from a "Home Depot should be ready for the consequences" viewpoint. Particularly since they told him he could stay and work if he removed the button. It isn't like they fired him summarily the first time it got stuck in their craw. He chose to fight the good fight, now he needs to choose which new place he wants to work.

Nope, no outrage from house on this one.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2009, 09:07:02 AM »

I actually had a case where I changed our policies for our business.  Talked to our lawyer, and as long as we aren't discriminating against someone, we could do pretty much what we wanted to.  Unless he can prove that he was expressly discriminated against for his specific religious views, he pretty much doesn't have a leg to stand on.
JD

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2009, 09:07:53 AM »
I'm also pretty sure it's a moot point since Florida is an "at will employment" state. It's not likely this kid has a leg to stand on from a "Home Depot should be ready for the consequences" viewpoint. Particularly since they told him he could stay and work if he removed the button. It isn't like they fired him summarily the first time it got stuck in their craw. He chose to fight the good fight, now he needs to choose which new place he wants to work.

As I said, I'm fine with them firing him- meaning, I believe they have the right to do so.

Consequences will be dealt by the market. Quite a few people will voice their displeasure and choose Lowes or Menards. Me, for instance.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

ronnyreagan

« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2009, 01:19:34 PM »
Quite a few people will voice their displeasure and choose Lowes or Menards. Me, for instance.

I'd be surprised if either of those don't have similar dress code policies. A good, honest, hardware store that truly allows free expression from their employees via non-company buttons is hard to find these days.
You have to respect the president, whether you agree with him or not.
Obama, however, is not the president since a Kenyan cannot legally be the U.S. President ;/

jackdanson

• friend
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2009, 01:21:37 PM »
Trevor Keezer didn’t start working at The Home Depot to make a religious statement.

orly?

Then, last month, when he started bringing his Bible to work

=|

I wonder what is really going on here.  This sounds like one of those rules they only enforce to get rid of someone they don't want around anymore.  I get away with murder at most of my jobs because I'm a good employee, if his boss is so eager to can him I'm wondering about his usefulness to the company.  And why do you bring the bible to work?  You come to work to work, not read.  I don't need a religious speech when I'm buying flooring.

A good, honest, hardware store that truly allows free expression from their employees via non-company buttons is hard to find these days.

If I owned a place it would be "no buttons, except the ones we give you".

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2009, 01:23:28 PM »
And why do you bring the bible to work?  You come to work to work, not read.  I don't need a religious speech when I'm buying flooring.

I'd assume he brought it for breaks and lunches. Nothing wrong with that.

However, wilfully defy policy and you get fired. My outrage o' meter fails to move on this one.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

taurusowner

« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2009, 01:26:50 PM »
kid your mindless support of useless criminal wars does not speak for me. Take what happened as a Warning from Above. Just maybe God does bot Want to be wrapped in any flag.

This has nothing to do with a legal war that Congress voted on and passed, but everything to do with willfully violating company policy and being terminated as a result.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2009, 01:36:48 PM »
This has nothing to do with a legal war that Congress voted on and passed, but everything to do with willfully violating company policy and being terminated as a result.

Please don't feed the trolls.
JD

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2009, 06:46:06 PM »
I'd assume he brought it for breaks and lunches. Nothing wrong with that.

However, wilfully defy policy and you get fired. My outrage o' meter fails to move on this one.

Yeah, we don't know why he brought his Bible.  I once read through the gospels on my work breaks.  No big deal.

Mr. Keezer seems to be accepting the consequences.  I don't see anything in the article about a lawsuit.  Still, too bad somebody has to lose a job over a button like that.  Let us hope they apply the policy evenly, to gay pride buttons and Hope and Change buttons. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2009, 06:59:48 PM »

Mr. Keezer seems to be accepting the consequences.  I don't see anything in the article about a lawsuit.  Still, too bad somebody has to lose a job over a button like that.  Let us hope they apply the policy evenly, to gay pride buttons and Hope and Change buttons. 

Do they have to? It's their company, after all.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2009, 07:28:56 PM »
If they didn't, that would be a reason to boycott.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2009, 07:30:16 PM »
Do they have to? It's their company, after all.

No, they don't have to, but the policy states "company buttons only."  So I hope they apply it fairly.  Don't you? 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife