Author Topic: I weep for the future of my country -- and of mankind  (Read 760 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
I weep for the future of my country -- and of mankind
« on: August 16, 2018, 10:45:14 AM »
When I'm not on APS, I sometimes lurk on and even occasionally participate in a forum about Jeeps. Yesterday we had a post by a person Using a screen name that includes no indication of gender, but it's probably safe to assume male) about his Jeep problem. It seems that he had recently replaced the (5-speed manual) transmission with one out of a slightly newer year. Those of you who have even a modicum of understanding about how cars work will probably get this.

The "new" transmission went in and, following the installation, he had a fluid dripping out of the bell housing that looked and smelled like transmission gear oil. (Which, for anyone who has never been introduced to it, has an unmistakable and uniquely awful aroma.) Okay ... that's not a good sign. But, what did he do about it?

He mentioned that he is certain he used the correct pilot bearing and clutch -- that's nice, but those parts don't use gear oil, so I'm unclear as to why this might seem relevant. He then related that, "to be safe" ("from what?" would be my first question), he replaced ... the crankshaft rear main seal, the oil pan gasket, and the valve cover gasket. The bell housing is still leaking gear oil, and he wants to know what he should do next.

How about looking at the part that uses gear oil ... like maybe the transmission.

There was a time -- or so I have been led to believe -- when schools taught us how to think. Now schools teach us what to think, and critical thinking (not that this situation requires much of it) is a commodity in very short supply.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
Re: I weep for the future of my country -- and of mankind
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2018, 11:21:56 AM »
How could someone do all that work and not have a clue how the damn thing works?
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2018, 12:54:03 PM »
How could someone do all that work and not have a clue how the damn thing works?

This is my question. I know nothing of how cars work, myself, but then I'm not swapping transmissions in my vehicles, either.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2018, 01:32:27 PM »
Well, just through the process of elimination he should be able to figure that out. After all he replaced all of the non-leaking gaskets on the engine. ;)

bob

griz

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2018, 01:41:19 PM »
It's just a human blind spot to assume that what you just could not be the cause of new problems because you just "fixed" it.  Back when motorcycles ( cars too but I worked on bikes) had points it was common to get a bike in the service department that had suddenly developed a problem immediately after the owner did a tune up.  The owner would assure us that it wasn't the ignition system because he had just replaced the plugs and points, and often a list of other things.  Connecting the points correctly fixed the new problem quickly.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2018, 02:40:59 PM »
All the jeep-meister's  problems can be fixed with a generous application of DETCORD..... [popcorn]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2018, 04:31:39 PM »
I once did a tune up on a car, plugs, points, condenser... ran like crap. Couldn't figure out what I'd done wrong. After stepping back through and putting all the old parts back in it.came.down to a defective new condenser.

Jeeps, Harleys and 1911s suffer from the same malady. People get one and immediately have to start modifying it. Just gotta make it better. It's usually all thumbs Tommy that *expletive deleted*s it up then decides the platform is fundamentally flawed then tells everyone that Jeep/Harley/1911s are garbage.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2018, 05:19:53 PM »
I once did a tune up on a car, plugs, points, condenser... ran like crap. Couldn't figure out what I'd done wrong. After stepping back through and putting all the old parts back in it.came.down to a defective new condenser.

Been there, done that. Didn't even get a t-shirt.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2018, 11:43:19 PM »
When you do something, and that something is then messed up, it's usually a safe bet that either you or the folks who built the part dun screwed up.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2018, 12:17:04 AM »
When you do something, and that something is then messed up, it's usually a safe bet that either you or the folks who built the part dun screwed up.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Every time we perform major "preventive" maintenance or swap out a broken piece of equipment that is buried behind a bunch of stuff. Cross our fingers and hope it turns back on correctly.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2018, 01:30:46 AM »

We had a car that would run fine for a few months, and then refuse to start. I think we replaced the battery, starter, and alternator twice each, before it quit doing that. Oh, and the first time, it was in the middle of a heat wave. The next time, it was during single-digit temperatures. Just to twist the knife.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife