Author Topic: good snub nosed .44's ?  (Read 10864 times)

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
good snub nosed .44's ?
« on: September 28, 2010, 01:15:33 AM »
 In the next year or so I am hoping to get a snub nosed .44 either a magnum or a special.
 The only snubbie 44 mags I've seen online are the Charter Arms, but I've never shot  a bulldog, the other charters I've shot left me unimpressed.

Ruger has some that look good but they all have hammers,  I was thinking a 44 mag because it would also shoot 44 special-right?

So, what am I missing? are there other snubbie 44's out there?

what ones do you like/dislike and why?

I wish the Ruger sp101 came in .44
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Regolith

• friend
Re: good snub nosed .44's ?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010, 02:09:05 AM »
Didn't S&W have an "Alaskan" model that was basically a short-barreled .44 mag? Or was that someone else? I can't check their site right now to find out for sure...seems to be down.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 06:54:08 AM »
Didn't S&W have an "Alaskan" model that was basically a short-barreled .44 mag? Or was that someone else? I can't check their site right now to find out for sure...seems to be down.
Ruger makes a Super Redhawk Alaskan with a 2.5" barrel. S&W makes a version of the 329, also with a 2.5" barrel.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 07:26:17 AM »
If you can find one at a decent price, the S&S 696 44 special is a nice carry piece.  It has a 3" barrel though.

Chris

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010, 08:01:10 AM »
I used to have a S&W 624, decent gun and I'd still have it if it was 44mag. But 44spl just didn't do it for me. Lower right:

A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2010, 09:25:45 AM »
The Smith and Wesson 629 Performance Center is a snubbie .44 Mag. It's recent production. Dealer cost is $775-$820, but none of the distributors I deal with have any.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2010, 09:27:21 AM »
If your target is in a year or so, I'd keep an eye on the Chiappa Rhino. I'm guessing .44 versions will come out by then. And their quality will have had a year of review through the .357 models coming out now.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 09:28:16 PM by AJ Dual »
I promise not to duck.

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2010, 09:57:15 AM »
I'm a big fan of the Smith & Wesson M296.

I wish it did not have the internal hammer, shrouded would be much better.

I hate roll checking on the trigger and not having a hold of the hammer.  That's just me.
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

red headed stranger

• friend
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2010, 10:05:41 AM »
I had a Taurus 445 that I wish I had not traded away, as they are not made anymore. It is a 5-shot .44spl revolver that is roughly K frame size.  The titanium versions had trouble, but the all steel versions seem to have had little to no trouble. I really liked mine, as it was a good balance of power and controllability.  The grip is the same size as the popular Judge revolver, so it is easy to find other grips, including Crimson trace grips.  I see them on Gunbroker every once and a while. 

My crappy pic:

Those who learn from history are doomed to watch others repeat it

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2010, 11:33:38 AM »
Over the years S&W has produced M29 M629, and M629 revolvers with 2.5" bbls.  (Blued steel, stainless steel, scandium frame & titanium cylinder)

I'd check used before new, as I suspect these were fired little.

Today, S&W produces2 .44mag snubbies:
M629 (perf center jobbie)
M329 Night Guard (scandium frame & steel cylinder)

I like my M629 with "middling" .44mag loads of 240gr LSWC at 1000fps.  This is ~250fps greater than .44spl.

If this sort of load would suit you, you might be interested in the S&W N-frame snubbies in .45ACP (M25, M625, M325).  Most reports i have read say they can handle much hotter loads than the usual 230gr @ 850fps of issue hardball.  .45Super is easily done, which gets you in "middling" .44mag territory and some folks bore the cylander a bit so it will chamber .460 Rowland, which is in .44mag territory.

Good luck.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2010, 04:24:24 PM »
just something i've been wondering about. but, how does the .460 S&W mag stack up to the .44 mag? i've read reviews that said guns chambered in .460 S&W mag, could handle 454 casull/.45 colt if it can also shoot .45 schofeild, it should be a little more versatile. :angel:

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2010, 04:38:50 PM »
just something i've been wondering about. but, how does the .460 S&W mag stack up to the .44 mag? i've read reviews that said guns chambered in .460 S&W mag, could handle 454 casull/.45 colt if it can also shoot .45 schofeild, it should be a little more versatile. :angel:

The .460S&W is a whole 'nuther level of power.  Available only in the X-frame, AFAIK.

I read of some 'smiths altering .454 Casull cylinders on DA revos so as to chamber & fire .454Casull, .45Colt, .45Schofield, .45ACP, .45Super, .45Winmag, .460Rowland, .45GAP.  All with moon clips.

I'd want such a hoss to be on a N-frame-ish-sized revo with 5 shots, not a X-ish sized beastie.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2010, 07:36:39 PM »

S&W had made a "Trail Boss" line of 2.5" .44Mag sixguns for Lew Horton a decade or so ago...nice guns. Can still be found on the used market occasionally....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2010, 02:06:04 PM »
AJ, that Chiappa is very interesting.  And it's just a few miles from where I grew up!

It's also the second or third gunmaker located in Dayton.  The other I'm sure of is Hi-Point.  They'll never be able to fill all the jobs lost at GM and Delphi, but it's a start.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2010, 02:54:46 PM »
AFAIK, MKS Supply in Ohio is just the importer.  :angel:

It's Italian, and I believe, designed by the same man who invented the Mateba.
I promise not to duck.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2010, 05:04:59 PM »
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2010, 05:08:06 PM »
Fugly. I say again, Fugly!

Oh, I don't know.  Kinda looks like a backup piece for Mal Reynolds.
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

PTK

• friends
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2010, 06:32:11 PM »
AJ, that Chiappa is very interesting.  And it's just a few miles from where I grew up!

It's also the second or third gunmaker located in Dayton.  The other I'm sure of is Hi-Point.  They'll never be able to fill all the jobs lost at GM and Delphi, but it's a start.

Actually, they're all MKS Supply - Chiappa, Hi-Point, and Charter Arms. :)
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2010, 06:34:18 PM »
Oh, I don't know.  Kinda looks like a backup piece for Mal Reynolds.

...or something from "Cowboy Bebop".....I like it.....  :cool:
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

PTK

• friends
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2010, 06:35:44 PM »
Now, if only they were as inexpensive as the rest of Chiappa firearms, or available anywhere locally so that I could handle one...
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2010, 08:42:19 PM »
if only they could put in both barrels and have a pocket NFA toy.(imagine firing 2 .357s or .454s at once. >:D) then how it looks wouldn't even come up. [popcorn]

edit: efa? WTF???????? :facepalm:
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 09:00:36 PM by sanglant »

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2010, 08:52:32 PM »
Fugly. I say again, Fugly!

A little ungainly looking.  They should hollow out that high snout and make a place for a built in laser.

I want to see how they hold up in the real world, and what the real world price ends up being.

In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.