Author Topic: Carrying a full size .45  (Read 10905 times)

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
Carrying a full size .45
« on: October 09, 2011, 04:40:33 PM »
I want a subcompact XD. I can't afford one, but I would love one for carry.  I have an XD45 that just seems too damned cumbersome.

I need to experiment with new methods of carry. When cold enough for a jacket, this thing is no problem.

Tough in shorts and a T shirt though. small of back works well, but I would feel better with a smaller gun.

Anyone here carry full frame .45s comfortably in hot weather? What are your solutions.

Current carry setup is a crossbreed holster, which i love
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Physics

• ∇xE=-1/c·∂B/∂t, ∇·E=4πρ, ∇·B=0, ∇xB=1/c·∂E/∂t, F=q(E+v/cxB)
  • friend
Re: Carrying a full size .45
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2011, 04:45:58 PM »
I'm curious as well.  The XD .45 compact is the only suitable carry gun I own, but I'm just a little guy (5'10", 150 lbs soaking wet) so carrying it would be difficult for me without outing myself.  About the only suitable place I've found that isn't thunderwear would be the small of my back, IWB, but I better be wearing a loose fitting shirt or I'm printing.
In the world of science, there is physics.  Everything else is stamp collecting.  -Ernest Rutherford

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2011, 04:48:55 PM »
It's all about the holster.  I carry a full size 1911 in shorts and a tank top.  Comp-tac is  my suggestion.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2011, 04:54:35 PM »
^This. The Comp-Tac CTAC or Minotaur (or equivalent from a competitor) is the ticket. Wide loop/clip placement combined with a slim pancake profile.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2011, 05:13:18 PM »
I carry a full size 1911 every day. I use a Serpa CQC (paddle) because 90+% of my carry is open carry. If I go somewhere where I know I need to conceal I use a Milt Sparks VM2. The real key to carrying a 1911, or any gun for that matter is a good belt. Minotaur makes some great carry belts.

bob

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2011, 05:32:40 PM »
Anyone have a Crossbreed holster?

I don't want to throw money at the problem IF it's something I'm doing wrong.

I am meeting some folks here tonight. I guess if i'm printing like I FEEL like I am, they'll let me know.

I seem to look fine in the mirror. Then I move around and i have this nagging suspicion that my gun is showing.

I should mention I am new to carrying concealed.
Fitz

---------------
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:

-MicroBalrog

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2011, 05:48:49 PM »
I have a crossbreed, but it's for my kel-tec p3at..... :-*
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2011, 05:51:01 PM »
XD45
Is the bigger or smaller than a K-frame service revolver?  

I carry a Security Six, or sometimes a S&W model 15, in a OWB holster at about 8:00 or 8:30 position (I'm left handed.)  The gun butt is directly under my armpit, which helps hid it in the shirt material.  I mostly wear polo or rugby shirts, or pocket T-shirts.  Not baggy, but never tight, thin, or clingy.

I think a good belt is more important than a good holster.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 05:55:54 PM by zxcvbob »
"It's good, though..."

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2011, 05:51:56 PM »
I have no idea. I've never owned a revolver.

Now, i await the floggings from the peanut gallery for never owning a revolver...  :facepalm:

[popcorn]
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2011, 06:03:39 PM »
I have worn a military-style holster to work empty before, covered by a shirt tail but sticking out the bottom, just to see if anybody notices.  They don't.  BTW, I just started carrying this year.  I don't carry every day because my employer doesn't allow it in the building (they don't allow it in the parking lot either, but MN has passed a law that they have to tolerate it in the parking lot)  I do carry whenever I go to church, and to and from the shooting range.  And sometimes everywhere I go on weekends.  Still getting used to it.

One thing I haven't figured out yet is how to carry anything bigger than a mousegun when I have to wear a tucked in dress shirt and might need to take off my jacket.  I just ordered one of these; hope it works: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360327874506
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 06:18:06 PM by zxcvbob »
"It's good, though..."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2011, 06:06:33 PM »
I've carried a full size XD45, a 5"1911, and/or a Sig 2022 for years in FL summers under shorts and a T-shirt.  A good holster, a good belt, and it works fine.  I personally prefer leather holsters, and use Andrews Leather IWB holsters, but Comp-Tac works well.  Don't neglect the belt.  Most folks new to CC don't understand the difference a GUN belt makes.

Buy a good gun belt, but a good IWB holster.  Then just wear them.  A pistol is actually pretty dang easy to hide.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2011, 06:07:23 PM »
Any belt recommendations that won't break the bank? I think the holster is good.
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2011, 06:11:17 PM »
Wilderness instructor belt

Either 5 stitch or polymer lined. I've had both and prefer the poly-lined but 5-stitch will work.

Pay attention to the sizing directions.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2011, 06:12:52 PM »
I bought a "Last Chance" web belt from Cabelas (was on sale for $15 or $20).  It's the first belt I've ever had that actually holds my pants up.   ;/  I had to send the first on back though, because they were cut too way long and I had to cinch it up way past the velcro.

If your waist is the right size for it, a cow collar looks like a good strong belt.  I saw some at Fleet Farm 2 weeks ago in the dairy supply aisle.
"It's good, though..."

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2011, 06:19:05 PM »
Wilderness instructor belt

Either 5 stitch or polymer lined. I've had both and prefer the poly-lined but 5-stitch will work.

Pay attention to the sizing directions.

+1

JD

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2011, 06:51:04 PM »
Nylon as presented. For leather, Dillon or The Beltman. More expensive, but they will last, so consider it an investment.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2011, 07:17:51 PM »
I have the Crossbreed for my TRP. I like to wear short-sleeved fishing shirts in hot weather. They're pretty loose fitting and there is never a printing issue. It seems to work well with T-shirts if you don't wear a body hugging T-shirt, but I can tell you with a T-shirt, I have a bad habit of reaching back to ensure the 1911 is covered just because it sometimes feels like it's not (though it always is when I check).

I have the Comp-Tac Minotaur as well for my Combat Commander. Both are great concealment holsters, but I give a slight edge to the Crossbreed for comfort and body hugging ability.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2011, 07:26:22 PM »
Is the bigger or smaller than a K-frame service revolver?  

Laying my 4" Model 19 next to my XD40 Service, excepting the cylinder, the revolver is thinner, a hair taller (a half inch taller with my grip), and a lot (eyeball est. 2") longer.

In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2011, 07:46:40 PM »
Any belt recommendations that won't break the bank? I think the holster is good.

Good luck in your search.  Don't even bother going to the stuff-marts.

I have a 5.11 Stitched Leather Casual Belt - 1.5".  On clearance through an online outlet site.  I suspect these were clearanced because the tan ones scuff very easily.  The leather it's made of seems to be the same "leather shavings and glue product" as the stuff-mart belts, but there's a nice stiff internal stiffener layer.  It'll do, if you need something that looks like leather.

In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2011, 07:57:45 PM »
Fitz,
You already have an inadequate belt, right?  Get some Perry suspenders to go with it.
"It's good, though..."

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2011, 08:00:00 PM »
I have a belt from Executive Leather Gear.  They get them from an Amish belt maker (RW Leather) in Sugar Creek, Ohio.  Won't break the bank and they look good.  I have actually bought from this guy twice, once for me and once for my FIL.  My FIL's was for his birthday (surprise) and my MIL got the size wrong.  I had to send it back, I had to pay for the shipping back to the company but the picked up the shipping of the proper size belt, even though I offered to pay since the size mess up was our fault.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2011, 08:07:25 PM »
Going back to the initial issue, printing is 99% in your head when you start to carry.

Just remember you are hyper-aware of the gun on you because it's new.  No one else is looking at you that closely and even if they do most folks see "printing" just as something (phone, camera, PDA etc) under your shirt.  Only you have any reason to think "OMGgun!".

Most folks don't see my gun (1911 or LW Commander, same-same concealment-wise) when I'm OC-ing OWB, never mind when I'm actually trying to conceal (as opposed to just having an untucked t-shirt over it IWB).

Good leather will make the gun feel more comfortable and more a part of you.  Once you get over the newness, concerns about printing will wear off as you realize just how unaware folks are and that you and your gun aren't the center of their universe in the first place.  =D

"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2011, 08:28:25 PM »
In this one instance, I'm going to say, "It must be nice to be male."

Try concealing anything on a 5'3", 112 lb frame. Sure, it can be done, if I could find attractive shorts/skirts with a feminine cut and belt loops through which to put an ugly belt that weighs as much as I do - assuming I could find one small enough that it doesn't encircle my waist twice. Then there's the holster. IWB or OWB doesn't make a damn bit of difference unless I wear men's large t-shirts (not happening), and even then, when I bend over to pick anything up, there's an obvious pistol grip jutting out from my waist under the shirt - covered, but not exactly unidentifiable. I've tried wearing a loose fishing/guide shirt over spaghetti strap tops but same thing - the minute I have to bend even slightly forward, I'm printing badly. I've considered just saying it was a medical device if anyone asked, but ew.

I spent a lot of time looking at thigh holsters this summer. Under a sundress in just the right spot, inner thigh, small gun, it could conceivably work, but have you ever tried walking in heels with a gun between your thighs? (SEEKER, leave it alone!)
Winter's easier. Fits in a coat pocket or conceals easily enough under a bulky sweater. Or if I knew I was going to be outside all day and not removing my coat, a shoulder holster would work, except I haven't had the chance to practice drawing from one and wouldn't want to put it to the test without doing so.

I can't tell you how many hours I've spent in gun stores with guys holding holsters up to my waist, having me try on different styles, then laughing and telling me I'm SOL unless I want to gain about 40 pounds. I think not.

Solution? Sucks, but carry a purse. Uh, I mean manbag/murse, whatever y'all are calling it these days. Women have been doing it for ... well, however long women have been carrying purses. You can too. Or buy a smaller gun.

On the other hand, if any of our resident geniuses can figure out how to conceal a full size pistol on a small figure, without making me look like a butch truck driver, by all means, please share. I'll send you a bottle of your choice of adult beverage if your idea actually works.
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2011, 08:50:11 PM »
I'm 5'3" also.  More meat, though.  :laugh:
Male fashion is more forgiving to concealed carry, too.
JD

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2011, 09:00:14 PM »
In this one instance, I'm going to say, "It must be nice to be male."

Well, duh.  It's a man's world... ;)

Check out these two ladies youtube channels, they review holsters, guns and knives and discuss realistic carry options while not dressing like a slob, or Jamis, but I repeat myself.  =D

http://www.youtube.com/user/faliaphotography?feature=mhw4

http://www.youtube.com/user/limalife

Particularly this video

http://www.youtube.com/user/faliaphotography?feature=mhw4
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."