Author Topic: Carry your AR from your vehicle to your house, meet the local PD  (Read 10821 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Guy was coming back from the range.

http://www.newspressnow.com/news/local_news/city_briefs/article_4dc618ee-1cae-5021-8da8-f166e8137f6b.html

This was in St. Joseph, Missouri, of Pony Express fame.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
Re: Carry your AR from your vehicle to your house, meet the local PD
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012, 07:10:40 AM »
I was confronted in San diego by the police once for the heinous crime of walking from my house to my car with TWO rifle cases. Some lady called the cops and reported "man with a gun." I have no idea how they got there so fast.
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 08:49:43 AM »
I had that happen once back when I was living in an apartment...some busybody called the PD when she saw me carrying a rifle case and ammo can to the car.  Turned out just fine, and ended up chatting with the responding officers about Army bases we'd all served at, showed off my guns, etc.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

birdman

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012, 09:13:11 AM »
I always fear this happening...when I go to the range, it usually takes a few trips from door to truck with cases, cans, etc.  given our over criminalization I don't want this to lead to a search that, even though I do everything possible to make sure I haven't done anything illegal, could turn up something and cause legal problems. 

If someone calls the cops because I'm carrying CASED weapons and ammo cans, THAT is a problem.

In this case, the caller reported a "man with a gun"...and it appears the dispatcher and responding LEOs didn't get further clarification, ie "is he pointing it at someone?" "does he live in the neighborhood?". Does he look familiar? Etc.  the resulting LEO response was extreme, if the article is accurate, especially given that it was the dude's HOME. 

HankB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2012, 09:23:41 AM »
Makes me glad I have an attached garage, even here in TX - it helps one to be discreet, since for a range trip you can load up the truck behind closed doors.

When I was growing up - in Chicago, of all places - there was no problem with walking out to the garage with cased guns. But then again, we knew our neighbors a lot better back then than I do now.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 09:30:16 AM by HankB »
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2012, 11:08:11 AM »
guitar gig bag FTW
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2012, 11:08:27 AM »
Calling the cops about a rifle case? What is this I dont even...  :facepalm:
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2012, 11:15:50 AM »
Wow.  I guess this means I have to load and unload the trunk inside the closed garage to be safe?  *sigh*
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2012, 11:16:09 AM »
I generally keep my truck in my garage so I can load/unload out of sight of neighbors.  To me it is more that I don't want to advertise having items of value.  I doubt I would have police troubles down here though.

IMO, for the cased rifle story, if the cops don't also go to the person who called it in and at least threaten to arrest them for a false report, they aren't doing their job.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2012, 11:18:18 AM »
Mr. Cross said when he came out to have a cigar, there were at least six guns pointed at him and police and sheriff’s units were also on the roof of the LEC and at a neighboring house.
This sounds to me like the cops were about ready to do a forced entry when he happened to step back outside.  He is probably lucky there was no "accident".
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2012, 11:19:47 AM »
Calling the cops about a rifle case? What is this I dont even... 

They are not afraid of the rifle case, or even think anything is illegal.  They are angered by its existence and are calling the cops as a passive-aggressive way of punishing you.
"It's good, though..."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2012, 11:43:10 AM »
I don't even recognize what apparently most of this country has become.

I open carry all over the neighborhood.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2012, 12:12:00 PM »
They are not afraid of the rifle case, or even think anything is illegal.  They are angered by its existence and are calling the cops as a passive-aggressive way of punishing you.

Pretty much this.

Not uncased, but I've loaded rifle cases and ammo cans in and out of my car on the sidewalk, not even blocked by being in the driveway etc. and have had nary a complaint for the past 12 years I've been there.
I promise not to duck.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2012, 12:33:06 PM »
guitar gig bag FTW

I picked up a Body Glove guitar case on clearance.  Prefer it to firearm cases.

Last interaction with the police, I was armed.  Primarily with an M4gery.  I was extremely descriptive to dispatch and put the rifle down when I saw the police car.  The officer was very supportive of owning firearms, very professional. 

Problem is nosey neighbours and incomplete descriptions given to responding police.

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2012, 12:35:41 PM »
St. Jo was always a decent place to work when I had that route. Seemed like being in the country most of the time.

Maybe LE overreaction to a callers overreaction due to current events?

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2012, 02:05:34 PM »
Problem is nosey neighbours and incomplete descriptions given to responding police.
I agree with this, but IMO, the cops should be having pointed conversations with the people calling this stuff in. 

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2012, 02:19:34 PM »

This.

Noisy busy body neighbors with issues is one reason i'm glad I live in a place where, if they can see me, they are trespassing.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2012, 02:52:54 PM »
.....IMO, for the cased rifle story, if the cops don't also go to the person who called it in and at least threaten to arrest them for a false report, they aren't doing their job.

Threatening them is a bit too much for the first time.  It should be explained to the caller that "John Doe carrying a rifle case from his car to his house is not a cause to call the cops.  Please don't make a similar call in the future. Thank you and have a nice day."  That's about how it should go.  No reason to be heavy-handed.  The first time.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2012, 03:31:55 PM »
living on a street with busy-body neighbors is a two edged sword.  i have gotten a phone call from the couple across the street when a friend was sitting in his car eating a sandwich.  i am also sure that if my daughter was hanging around downtown without parental supervision that we would know about it before she got home.  that said, no-one is calling the police for me shuffling a gun to and from my car.  was the guy new to the neighborhood?
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

Physics

• ∇xE=-1/c·∂B/∂t, ∇·E=4πρ, ∇·B=0, ∇xB=1/c·∂E/∂t, F=q(E+v/cxB)
  • friend
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2012, 09:32:07 AM »
This makes me laugh a little. When I lived in the Pearl in Portland (yuppie community and probably the most liberal part of Portland), I would have to park on the street, generally not in front of my apartment.  When I would go to the range, I didn't ever want to leave anything in the car on the street, so I'd do everything in one giant load. 

I would walk down the street with at least 3 rifles (usually more like 6) strung across my chest (all of them EBRs) and a backpack full of ammo.  I always got the weirdest looks as I'd make that block and a half trek to the car.  Nobody ever called the cops, but one lady got really scared one time and asked me not to shoot her. ???
In the world of science, there is physics.  Everything else is stamp collecting.  -Ernest Rutherford

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2012, 09:52:40 AM »
All my neighbors know I'm the gun guy.  Hopefully that will prevent any stupid calls to the police.
Of course, this is also Texas.....that said, most of my neighbors are transplants of some kind or another. 
This reminds me, I need to get my semi-liberal neighbor out to the gun range. I'd venture he's never shot a gun before.
I've already taught the  couple on the other side of me (conservative but not real gun people) to shoot right....and have them talking about buying something more than the little bersa they have now.
Can't wait to show off the EBR when I finish building it.
 >:D
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

brimic

• friends
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2012, 10:03:17 AM »
Never been hassled.
When I go to the range its not one or two rifle cases, its a trunkload that needs to be carried in and out.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2012, 11:38:12 AM »
Let's see, since I got my first firearm, I've lived in:

Massachusetts: 6 years
Southern New Hampshire: 3 years
Connecticut: 6 years

I've never been approached by anyone while transporting weapons, though I don't think I've ever tried to move a naked rifle.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2012, 02:46:44 PM »
I have a photo somewhere of my brother in the mid-1950's. He's kneeling in the side yard with his new rifle and scope shouldered, pointing at something across the street. This was in Flint, MI, not some small town. Nobody said anything to anyone, as it was what everybody did when they got a new rifle.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2012, 02:56:20 PM »
Threatening them is a bit too much for the first time.  It should be explained to the caller that "John Doe carrying a rifle case from his car to his house is not a cause to call the cops.  Please don't make a similar call in the future. Thank you and have a nice day."  That's about how it should go.  No reason to be heavy-handed.  The first time.
Overreaction on my part perhaps.  I guess I have seen too many of these stories where someone calls police and the victim who wasn't doing anything gets hassled or worse.  I never hear about the people making bad reports getting hassled.