Author Topic: Carry your AR from your vehicle to your house, meet the local PD  (Read 10820 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Carry your AR from your vehicle to your house, meet the local PD
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2012, 03:42:59 PM »
In this case, the caller reported a "man with a gun"...and it appears the dispatcher and responding LEOs didn't get further clarification, ie "is he pointing it at someone?" "does he live in the neighborhood?". Does he look familiar? Etc.  the resulting LEO response was extreme, if the article is accurate, especially given that it was the dude's HOME. 

I have had this debate on more than one "gun" forum, and I am always astonished that I seem to be very much in the minority in thinking that dispatchers should at the very least ask any MWAG caller "What is the man doing with the gun?" When the answer comes back, "Well, he's carrying it from his car to the house across the street" in an ideal world the dispatcher should just tell the caller there's nothing illegal about that, and hang up.

However, apparently in many jurisdictions dispatchers are not allowed to think, and in those jurisdictions if they get a MWAG call they MUST dispatch an officer. Even so, I can't help thinking that the responding officer(s) might be well served to be informed if the call is about a guy eating lunch with a handgun in a holster on his belt, or if it's a scruffy-looking guy waving an AK-47 over his head and shouting epithets at the local mosque. Unfortunately, in far too many jurisdictions the ONLY available response to any MWAG call seems to be sending in the full SWAT team. I guess if the department gets all that grant money to outfit and train a SWAT team, they need excuses to justify having a SWAT team.

What better excuse that a "Suspicion of engaging in lawful behavior" call?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2012, 07:17:36 PM »
apparently in many jurisdictions dispatchers are not allowed to think

Or not capable of thinking :(

We continually get fire pages for "fire at 123 Dusty Road" when that is just the location from which the fire is seen and reported.  Then we get several more reports from disparate locations, all looking at the same fire 20 miles away from different directions.

A few weeks back, I called in on my cell phone and reported smoke (turned out it was an ash laden dust devil on the burned ground from the big fire in June) and told her I was on horseback on So-and-so's ranch.  She relayed the message to our fire chief that the fire report was on "Horseback Road"  ;/
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2012, 09:33:53 PM »
Well in VA, even when I was in the city it's legal to walk down the street with a slung rifle. Beware our version of assault weapon tho, bigger than 20d mag not good in big cities. I once famously told a cop shop dispatcher, while reporting a burglary in progress, "If you get a report of a guy with a rifle, that's me."  [popcorn]

And I almost made the news  day. Lived on a corner in a one block wide neighborhood, two main N/S streets with side streets. I head out my door with 3-4 slung long guns, couple of long gun cases, range bag, all in prep for a big day at the range. And there is a marked cruiser blocking my street. Ooookay. Peer down to other end of block, same same. Not good. Officer Friendly hasn't looked my way yet so I ease back inside and start figurung who called me in and why. It took a bit before I realized that I had forgotten the president was in town, christening of CVN-76 was underway next door in the shipyard.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2012, 01:42:19 PM »
I suspect that in many of these cases, the 911 caller indicates early on that they are fearful of the MWAG, and it's then "off to the races".  There won't be any follow-up questions about what the person with the gun is doing, is there threatening behavior, etc., to determine the legitimacy of the call. The troops with the toys roll and the fun begins.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2012, 01:46:36 PM »
This.

Noisy busy body neighbors with issues is one reason i'm glad I live in a place where, if they can see me, they are trespassing.

:cool: =D

I sometimes dress only in sneakers after a shower and dry off in the sun
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2012, 01:59:06 PM »
  :cool: =D

I sometimes dress only in sneakers after a shower and dry off in the sun

I will admit to occasionally taking advantage of a passing rain storm whem the power is out and I need a shower...
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2012, 05:30:21 PM »
I will admit to occasionally taking advantage of a passing rain storm whem the power is out and I need a shower...

Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2012, 05:32:04 PM »

If that's your place, can I come to visit?

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2012, 08:17:33 PM »
I suspect that in many of these cases, the 911 caller indicates early on that they are fearful of the MWAG, and it's then "off to the races".  There won't be any follow-up questions about what the person with the gun is doing, is there threatening behavior, etc., to determine the legitimacy of the call. The troops with the toys roll and the fun begins.

Correct.

And that's exactly the problem. Heck, want to rob a bank? Bribe some kid you've never seen before to open carry an airsoft pistol or BB gun on the other side of town. The entire force will respond to the MWAG call, leaving the bank neighborhood with zero coverage.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2012, 08:22:09 AM »

Better angle.... =D

Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2012, 09:58:49 AM »
This makes me laugh a little. When I lived in the Pearl in Portland (yuppie community and probably the most liberal part of Portland), I would have to park on the street, generally not in front of my apartment.  When I would go to the range, I didn't ever want to leave anything in the car on the street, so I'd do everything in one giant load. 

I would walk down the street with at least 3 rifles (usually more like 6) strung across my chest (all of them EBRs) and a backpack full of ammo.  I always got the weirdest looks as I'd make that block and a half trek to the car.  Nobody ever called the cops, but one lady got really scared one time and asked me not to shoot her. ???

As a fellow Portlandite (thankfully, in the suburbs!) I can picture this, and it makes me laugh my butt off...  :)
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2012, 11:16:12 AM »

How often do those three events converge?
"It's good, though..."

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2012, 01:09:58 PM »
I would say that A) could easily cause B), and therefore she would have to C) !!!
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Marnoot

• friend

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2012, 08:01:52 PM »
As a fellow Portlandite (thankfully, in the suburbs!) I can picture this, and it makes me laugh my butt off...  :)

As a former Portlandite I can picture this, and it makes me laugh my butt off...
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2012, 09:11:12 PM »
As someone who's seen several episodes of Portlandia, I can picture this and it makes me  :rofl:
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2012, 11:45:15 AM »
Cable and phone hooked up this morning in rental house, finally, so I'm sitting here catching up on APS before I head out to a couple meetings. See something moving out the window and glance out, man with a fishing rod on one shoulder and a long gun on the other shoulder is walking down the road. That was half an hour ago, no police car has gone by after him, nor is one likely to.

This is one reason I love Georgia.
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2012, 02:27:13 PM »

You escaped Commiefornia ?   :lol:

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2012, 03:48:53 PM »
Cable and phone hooked up this morning in rental house, finally, so I'm sitting here catching up on APS before I head out to a couple meetings. See something moving out the window and glance out, man with a fishing rod on one shoulder and a long gun on the other shoulder is walking down the road. That was half an hour ago, no police car has gone by after him, nor is one likely to.

The Wild, Wild South. I've been scouring the internet, but there are no news stories on this. How many people did he kill?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #45 on: August 14, 2012, 06:13:21 PM »
The Wild, Wild South. I've been scouring the internet, but there are no news stories on this. How many people did he kill?

Who? The cable guy or the phone guy? My bet is the cable guy; those guys are wacky.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

MrsSmith

• friend
« Reply #46 on: August 14, 2012, 06:47:46 PM »
You escaped Commiefornia ?   :lol:

Yup. And have had a pistol on my side since I cross the CA/AZ state line.

Hold your breath and wait for it.

On another note, when I met the landlord here, an older couple, the only question he had for me was, "You have any weapons young lady? Woman alone ought to be armed. You do? Good. You know how to use 'em? Good."
Also found out that a couple friends here have been doing a little subtle work to make sure I'm left alone. Guy who handles issues with the water system came by the other day to make sure all was working right and he said, "So word has it you're a NRA instructor. I reckon ain't gonna be nobody messin' with you, seein' as how they're likely to get themselves a belly full o' lead."

I didn't bother to correct him that I'm not yet a weapons instructor. Had to smile though.
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #47 on: August 15, 2012, 01:10:31 PM »

MrsSmith, about as awkward as a very nice young FBI agent asking if I was armed.

"Uhh...  Yea, I have one or two..."
"Good. Be sure to keep up on your range time."

???
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Carl N. Brown

« Reply #48 on: August 16, 2012, 05:47:38 AM »
Given that there are 65 to 80,000,000 gun owners in America and far less than 1 out of 400 are gun criminals, the vast majority of gun owners are law abiding citizens: there should be some police education on dispatching Man With A Gun calls (list of pertinent questions) and some accountability for false reporting MWAG.

Reporting MWAG on someone carrying a gun case and ammo can from their home to their vehicle is moonbatty hysteria, and ought to result in the dispatcher suggesting the caller chill out, 911 is for real emergencies not manifestations of hoplophobia.

Given the phenomenon of "SWATting" (calling police anonymously or with faked name or using spoofed phone and reporting "murder in progress" or "pot smell coming from premises") to prank one's enemies, I wonder if bogus "MWAGging" will be the "prank" call of the future?

MrsSmith

• friend
« Reply #49 on: August 16, 2012, 12:23:11 PM »
Reporting MWAG on someone carrying a gun case and ammo can from their home to their vehicle is moonbatty hysteria, and ought to result in the dispatcher suggesting the caller chill out, 911 is for real emergencies not manifestations of hoplophobia.

Given the phenomenon of "SWATting" (calling police anonymously or with faked name or using spoofed phone and reporting "murder in progress" or "pot smell coming from premises") to prank one's enemies, I wonder if bogus "MWAGging" will be the "prank" call of the future?

Folks who call out SAR needlessly end up paying for those services in some cases, if I'm not mistaken. Maybe we ought to charge these idiots for dragging the cops out on needless calls too. Hit 'em in the wallet - it's something they all understand.

MrsSmith, about as awkward as a very nice young FBI agent asking if I was armed.

"Uhh...  Yea, I have one or two..."
"Good. Be sure to keep up on your range time."

???

And you kept a straight face?  =D