Author Topic: destroying park land regular Americans are too lazy to  (Read 10916 times)

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
destroying park land regular Americans are too lazy to
« on: September 05, 2006, 08:17:16 PM »
http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/09/06/POTFARMS.TMP

Pot farms ravaging park land
Big raid in Marin County only hints at the extent of erosive techniques by growers

Chuck Squatriglia, Chronicle Staff Writer

Wednesday, September 6, 2006

* Printable Version
    * Email This Article

The discovery of 22,740 marijuana plants growing in and around Point Reyes National Seashore last week wasn't only the biggest pot seizure ever made in Marin County. It was an environmental mess that will take several months and tens of thousands of dollars to clean up.

The crops seized on the steep hillsides overlooking Highway 1 were planted by sophisticated growers who cleared vegetation, terraced land, drew water from streams through miles of irrigation hoses and doused acres of land with hundreds of pounds of fertilizer and pesticides.

Such operations are turning up in greater numbers within state and national parks throughout California. Federal officials estimate the state produces half of all the marijuana seized on public lands nationwide.

Officials at Point Reyes National Seashore have only begun to assess the resulting damage to an area that is habitat for the spotted owl, steelhead trout and coho salmon, and they said it could be months before they know the long-term implications for the ecosystem.

"We've seen some really nasty damage," National Park Service spokesman John Dell'Osso said Tuesday. "And there's a very good possibility there are sites we haven't even found yet."

Cultivating marijuana on land managed by the Park Service, the National Forest Service and other agencies is a multibillion-dollar industry. So far this year, authorities have found more than 940,000 marijuana plants growing on state and federal land in the Golden State. With the harvest season beginning, officials expect to find more pot farms and surpass last year's haul of 1.1 million plants.

Federal officials believe as much as 80 percent of the marijuana on public land is grown by Mexican drug cartels that have turned to places like Point Reyes National Seashore, Sequoia-Kings Canyon National Park and Whiskeytown National Recreation Area in this era of tightened border security; growing the drug here is far easier than smuggling it in. The plants found in Point Reyes last week were valued at around $50 million, Dell'Osso said.

The federal Office of National Drug Control policy estimates that growing 1 acre of marijuana damages 10 acres of land. Repairing that land is a costly, time-consuming process, and because the National Park Service does not allocate money specifically for the task, the funds come from each park's operating budget -- leaving less money for things like park programs and improvements.

"We have no budget for this," Dell'Osso said, noting that it is a problem "the powers-that-be need to start discussing."

The pot seized last week was growing on six sites scattered along Bolinas Ridge between Stinson Beach and the Randall Trail just south of Olema. About half of it was on land managed by the Marin Municipal Water District. Marin County sheriff's deputies discovered it during a routine aerial search. Investigators have not made any arrests.

Lt. Scott Anderson of the Marin County Sheriff's Department said the pot farm's similarities to those found in other national parks suggests it was the work of a Mexican cartel that probably employed undocumented immigrants.

The sites in Marin County are tucked away in remote canyons, sheltered beneath madrone and oak trees and surrounded by thick brush hacked away haphazardly. Trees have been stripped of their limbs to make room for the plants, leaving only a canopy of branches to hide the illicit crop.

Irrigation hoses as long as a mile each drew water from pools dug into the ground and fed by the springs and streams that course through the Tomales Bay watershed. The steep hillsides have been terraced, much like a vineyard, and are dotted with hundreds of deep holes that held as many as four marijuana plants apiece. The land is littered with empty 50-pound bags of fertilizer and gallon jugs of pesticide.

Investigators believe as many as three people tended each plot, and the amount of trash -- empty soda and beer cans, food wrappers, propane canisters and clothing -- suggests they'd been living there for at least several weeks but fled before officials reached the site. Authorities found animal traps, pellet guns and a rabbit hutch, leading them to believe the growers hunted for food.

With the last of the crops cleared away, park officials have begun assessing the damage. Once the trash is removed, the biggest priority will be protecting the land with straw and new ground cover to prevent the winter rains from washing it away. Beyond that, though, it's not yet known exactly what must be done to restore the land and what it will cost.

Sequoia-King's Canyon National Park has spent more than $72,000 during the past two years to clean up 81 cultivation sites that covered 10 acres, said Athena Demetry, a restoration ecologist at the park. Authorities have seized more than 100,000 marijuana plants within Sequoia-King's Canyon since 2004. The latest seizure came Aug. 9, when authorities found 2,152 marijuana plants growing within view of Moro Rock, a popular park destination.

Over the course of six weeks during the winter of 2005 and 2006, park rangers hauled almost 5 tons of trash and debris out of the park, removed 13 miles of irrigation hose, and repaired deep cuts and terraces made to 35 hillsides, Demetry said. Empty bags and bottles revealed the growers used at least 8,031 pounds of fertilizer, 15 pounds of rodenticide and 7.6 gallons of pesticide. An additional 80 grow sites still must be repaired.

"We chose the sites that are easiest to reach and did those first," she said. "The ones that are left to do are more remote, and on steeper terrain."

Demetry said the land will recover quickly as new vegetation grows but the effect on wildlife will be harder to measure. No one knows how much fertilizer and pesticide is polluting the land, or how much of it made its way into the streams that feed the East Fork of Kaweah River.

"It's got a huge impact on the stream ecology," she said. "It has to potential to ripple through the food chain."

Park rangers have for years stumbled upon small stands of marijuana, but the problem has exploded within the past five years and reached a point where they're having difficulty keeping up, Demetry said. Although individual cultivation sites are rarely cover more than an acre, the growers have taken to scattering them over hundreds of acres to evade detection. That, she said, spreads the destruction over a far broader area, with far graver results.

"When we first saw them, we thought they were pretty small," she said. "But then we realized how many there were, and it became staggering. And there's a lot more out there."
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Third_Rail

• friend
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2006, 08:55:27 PM »
Simple fix - legalize drugs (taking the large profits away) and have small business out compete these huge cartels. Problem solved.

On a more interesting note, I've seen MJ plants growing outside basically everywhere I've lived. To date, I've only live in MA and CT - rather odd, but growing spring/summer must give something worth while.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2006, 09:07:09 PM »
Simpler fix.

Chinese justice.

Execute growers, sellers, dealers, and users.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2006, 10:20:09 PM »
Simpler fix.

Chinese justice.

KEWL!  After that can we start on the queers, communists and jews?  After all, whats the use of finding a solution that actually expands individual liberty AND makes a profit for the American horticulturist when we can follow the example of a particularly pernicious perversion of a hopelessly utopian socioeconomic theory?

It'll be a Great Leap Foward for the American Populace!
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2006, 10:49:29 PM »
I drove past a corn field the other day where I could see huge marijuana plants planted in. How in the heck the farmer or the police driving down the road or anyone else could not see that is beyond me. The road is a paved, two lane..not huge amounts of traffic but enough that I'd have expected to read about it the newspaper. The growers must be getting a lot braver..they used to plant the stuff way in the middle of fields..this was only a couple rows in from the road.

BozemanMT

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2006, 02:40:01 AM »
It makes me wonder just how much the park staff is actually wandering around.
22,000 plants?
miles of pipe?
are they just staying to the popular places or actually checking out teh whole park on a regular basis?
obviously not.

funny title BTW
Brian
CO

From land of the free and home of the brave to land of the fee and home of the slave

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2006, 02:49:37 AM »
Quick, seize the land!!  Then sell it to the lowest bidder to finance the WoD.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2006, 03:28:24 AM »
Barbara, is it possible that was legal hemp?  I've seen fields of it in Missouri.

Hmmm, persecute innocent pot-growers or allow environmental destruction?  What's a California lefty to do?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2006, 04:40:33 AM »
Quote from: Third_Rail
Simple fix - legalize drugs (taking the large profits away) and have small business out compete these huge cartels. Problem solved.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2006, 04:46:43 AM »
Barbara

I see that all the time in Iowa also, but its not pot just volunteer hemp left over from the hemp growing days.  The last garden I had I got a load of horse manure and had several hemp volunteers growing up in mid may. For poops and grins I let a couple grow to six feet in my sweat corn rows just to see that the neighbors would think. Only one of them asked me about and then told me it would give me a headache if I tried to smoke it.

I used to be a farm hand from time to time to make some extra money during planting and harvest seasons. I used to see hemp all over the place, one of those plants that is just hard to control once it gets established.

-C
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

richyoung

• friend
  • bring a big gun
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2006, 05:46:52 AM »
Simpler fix - eliminate "National" parks and forests.  They are unconstitutional anyway - the FedGov is only allowed to own land for the National Capital, "necessary" military bases, and foreign embassies.  No other express permission to own land is granted - so it is therefore "reserved to the States...or the people thereof".  This is part of hte reason Oklahoma had a land rush - the Fed had to "get rid" of ownership of the land.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't...

Art Eatman

• friend
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2006, 05:57:34 AM »
richyoung, I could agree with everything you claim, but there is one aspect that's important to me:  I'd much rather look at parkland than a bunch of (Bleep.  Bleep, bleep, bleep) rooftops.

I'm pretty much an entrepreneurial capitalist by nature.  That doesn't mean I always believe that the "highest and best use" is always measured in monetary terms.  I'm not much on religion or the Bible, but I recall a question about a man who profits at the expense of his soul.

An undeveloped mountain has a lot of soul.  So does a seashore.

Art
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2006, 06:17:51 AM »
Quote from: charby
 I used to see hemp all over the place, one of those plants that is just hard to control once it gets established.
Yeah, it's a gateway weed.  What's that "sweat corn," though?  That doesn't sound very good.

Third_Rail

• friend
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2006, 06:32:01 AM »
I keep getting reminded why I hardly post here or THR anymore - people who love personal freedom when it comes to firearms hating personal freedom when it comes to drugs. Always makes me wonder how otherwise intelligent people are so amazingly stupid.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2006, 06:36:00 AM »
What's that "sweat corn," though?  That doesn't sound very good.
Thats how it starts.  First you have an ear or two of this "sweet corn" at a 4th of July picnic.  Then you have another ear or two on Labor Day.  Later one cold afternoon you decide that since the "sweet corn" did not turn you into to a couch-locked kill-crazy loon, you have some "corn bread" with your gumbo.

By Thanksgiving its "creamed corn".

By New Years all you can think of is corn boiled with butterbeans and maybe some diced peppers.  Street name for this evil concoction is "succotash".

Then you move on to the harder stuff.  "Corn tortillas", "corn chips" and "corn nuts".  In the spring you're in the garden planting this foul mutant grass for your own use, and maybe to give to friends to get THEM hooked.  

You know you've hit rock bottom though when you open up a can of Cuitlacoche and dig in with big spoon.

Cuitlacoche

BAN CORN NOW!  Do it for the children!
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

InfidelSerf

• friend
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2006, 06:38:20 AM »
The growers must be getting a lot braver..they used to plant the stuff way in the middle of fields..this was only a couple rows in from the road.
Most likely it's just wild hemp.

It's all over KS.  Of course it was the number one cashcrop in KS for decades.  

I'll still never understand how we can justify trying to ban something that occures naturally.

Personally I think the way to solve the "war" on drugs is to legalize everything that occurs naturally and can be consumed using basic chemistry.
(Heat, pressure, time etc)
And regulate anything that requires advanced chemistry. i.e. cocaine, heroin etc.

All you have to do is look at history, everytime we start a war on an arbitrary term. We will always loose.

The "war" on poverty
The "war" on drugs
The "war" on terror

When will we learn?

A war should be very specific.  the war on terror should be the war on radical militant islamic fundamentalism.

Why is it people are so afraid and against others altering their state of conscience.  
As long as your laws state, that an altered state of mind doesn't change your responsibilites, then what is the problem?

(Keep in mind I don't think a person should be exempt from consequenses EVEN if they claim insanity)
The hour is fast approaching,on which the Honor&Success of this army,and the safety of our bleeding Country depend.Remember~Soldiers,that you are Freemen,fighting for the blessings of Liberty-that slavery will be your portion,and that of your posterity,if you do not acquit yourselves like men.GW8/76

Car Knocker

• friend
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2006, 06:54:33 AM »
Quote from: BozemanMT
It makes me wonder just how much the park staff is actually wandering around.
22,000 plants?
miles of pipe?
are they just staying to the popular places or actually checking out teh whole park on a regular basis?
obviously not.
Very rugged terrain, a lot of poison oak.  Parks are short-staffed and it's not even close to safe to wander the area alone.  All in all, not a combination that encourages regular inspection.
Don

richyoung

• friend
  • bring a big gun
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2006, 07:02:03 AM »
Quote from: Art Eatman
richyoung, I could agree with everything you claim, but there is one aspect that's important to me:  I'd much rather look at parkland than a bunch of (Bleep.  Bleep, bleep, bleep) rooftops.

I'm pretty much an entrepreneurial capitalist by nature.  That doesn't mean I always believe that the "highest and best use" is always measured in monetary terms.  I'm not much on religion or the Bible, but I recall a question about a man who profits at the expense of his soul.

An undeveloped mountain has a lot of soul.  So does a seashore.

Art
No reason a STATE, or even a city, county, or corporation, can't have parks... in fact they do!  But when you start letting FedGov do somehting its prohibited from, well - next thing you know, you have "money" that isn't money, lives lost because needed drugs that Europeans have had for years are still in "testing", or haven't been tested for that use and the patent is out, so there's no financial gain for the pharmo comps to test it, gun laws, drug laws, taxes throught the roof, etc.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't...

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2006, 07:15:56 AM »
Quote from: fistful
Quote from: charby
 I used to see hemp all over the place, one of those plants that is just hard to control once it gets established.
Yeah, it's a gateway weed.  What's that "sweat corn," though?  That doesn't sound very good.
"Sweat" corn is when you work your ass off to get the ground tilled up in time to get the seed planted, then you "sweat" more trying to keep raccoons and corn borers from eating all your sweetcorn. Then you "sweat" some more when your boiling four dozen ears and 5 lbs of ring bologna for all your buddies. Then you "sweat" some more because too much corn is coming ready at the same time and your sick of eating corn for the past two weeks at every meal and so are all your friends whom you have given it too.

But by March when your checking out the seed catalogs you begin to "sweat" again for the taste of sweet corn.

Other than that its a typo.

-C
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2006, 07:21:15 AM »
No, its definitely not ditch weed. We don't really have the volunteer stuff here..although 30 miles south of here its all over. This isn't it, though.

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
    • http://www.punk-rock.com
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2006, 08:02:44 AM »

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2006, 08:45:38 AM »
I keep getting reminded why I hardly post here or THR anymore - people who love personal freedom when it comes to firearms hating personal freedom when it comes to drugs. Always makes me wonder how otherwise intelligent people are so amazingly stupid.
Whine, whine.  Unfortunately, high intelligence has never entirely hindered people from being wrong and stupidity has never entirely hindered people from being right.  After all, there are plenty of uneducated, toothless inbreds that support gun rights, drug legalization and a number of other things.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2006, 09:14:33 AM »
Quote from: Mike Irwin
Simpler fix.

Chinese justice.

Or, how about treat illegal drugs like the poison they are & sentence them accordingly....

If you use it & get caught, you get access to psychiatric treatment for self-harm/attempted suicide....

If you're caught giving it to others, you're charged with poisoning others (i.e. Aggravated Assault)....

If you're giving it to another person & that person dies, Murder Two....

Dealers have to serve time for each individual user....

Cartels considered threats to national security and "neutralized" like terrorist organizations....

No more unconstitutional search & seizure, no more no-knock warrants w/o at least two judges signing off, and no more bringing this old tired dog up for debate....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

wingnutx

• friend
  • Danish Cartoonist
    • http://www.punk-rock.com
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2006, 09:39:40 AM »
So if Joey Bagadonuts buys some rat poison at Ace Hardware and is dumb enough to eat it, they should jail the clerk who sold it to him?

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2006, 09:56:37 AM »
Quote from: wingnutx
So if Joey Bagadonuts buys some rat poison at Ace Hardware and is dumb enough to eat it, they should jail the clerk who sold it to him?
Yes.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.