Author Topic: destroying park land regular Americans are too lazy to  (Read 10917 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
destroying park land regular Americans are too lazy to
« Reply #75 on: September 08, 2006, 03:28:57 AM »
Never said I'd ban anything.  If I would, I'd still know the difference between science and the promotion of pedophilia, wouldn't you?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #76 on: September 08, 2006, 06:34:11 AM »
Quote from: The Rabbi
Posessing automatic weapons.
The penalties are so lenient and so rarely enforced they are sold everywhere.  I can't go anywhere in this town without seeing seedy-looking guys hanging out on street corners pitching full-auto AKs and Uzis.  The Israeli cartels are smuggling crateloads of full auto weapons in, getting rich on illegal trade.  Meanwhile a dealer caught with a full auto is rarely charged and very seldom gets even a minimal sentence, much less the maximum.  Usuallly they are out dealing weapons within 24 hours.
I have been to some seedy parts of the US and Europe and I have never seen anyone peddling automatic weapons. I have seen Saturday night specials, all flavors of drugs, and prostitutes (all ages and genders) offered to me, but never a full auto.

-C
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Third_Rail

• friend
« Reply #77 on: September 08, 2006, 07:07:14 AM »
Strange - here in New England, there are automatic weapons (good stuff, not just open bolt MAC clones, etc.) and grenades for sale from various unsavory people. Maybe you don't know the wrong people?

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #78 on: September 08, 2006, 07:15:41 AM »
Quote from: Third_Rail
Strange - here in New England, there are automatic weapons (good stuff, not just open bolt MAC clones, etc.) and grenades for sale from various unsavory people. Maybe you don't know the wrong people?
Probably a good thing.  Smiley

Uranus is a gas giant.

Third_Rail

• friend
« Reply #79 on: September 08, 2006, 08:32:46 AM »
Most likely.

To clarify, though, it's not like I went around asking people; people who knew I have an interest in weapons offered to either hook me up with so-and-so, or buy for me. Obviously, I declined entirely. The less I'm involved with anything like that, the longer I'll live.

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #80 on: September 08, 2006, 08:55:27 AM »
Quote from: charby
The penalties are so lenient and so rarely enforced they are sold everywhere.  I can't go anywhere in this town without seeing seedy-looking guys hanging out on street corners pitching full-auto AKs and Uzis.  The Israeli cartels are smuggling crateloads of full auto weapons in, getting rich on illegal trade.  Meanwhile a dealer caught with a full auto is rarely charged and very seldom gets even a minimal sentence, much less the maximum.  Usuallly they are out dealing weapons within 24 hours.
I have been to some seedy parts of the US and Europe and I have never seen anyone peddling automatic weapons. I have seen Saturday night specials, all flavors of drugs, and prostitutes (all ages and genders) offered to me, but never a full auto.

-C
Thank you.  And I wonder why that is.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

Third_Rail

• friend
« Reply #81 on: September 08, 2006, 08:58:56 AM »
Again, there are plenty of people selling automatic weapons; prohibition still isn't working.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #82 on: September 08, 2006, 09:08:36 AM »
Quote from: charby

-C
Thank you.  And I wonder why that is.
Because you can't go to Wal-mart and pick up a pack of marijuana ultra lights, couple ounces of cocaine and a Uzi for the weekend.

...and as mentioned repeatedly in many posts prohibition doesn't work because if someone really wants something they will get it. Just look at prisons, you can buy drugs from within the walls.

-C

Uranus is a gas giant.

Third_Rail

• friend
« Reply #83 on: September 08, 2006, 09:12:19 AM »
Or just look at China, which was brought up as an example; death to any criminal caught with drugs of any sort, or caught with a gun of any sort. They really enforce those laws, and yet plenty of people break them all the time. What harsher punishment could be administered?

The Rabbi

• friend
« Reply #84 on: September 08, 2006, 09:50:54 AM »
Or just look at China, which was brought up as an example; death to any criminal caught with drugs of any sort, or caught with a gun of any sort. They really enforce those laws, and yet plenty of people break them all the time. What harsher punishment could be administered?
Do you have figures for how many people break them?

My guess is not a lot, because a) the possibility of getting caught is high and b) if caught the penalty is very severe.  And this is my point: lawbreakers play an odds game of how likely am I to get caught and if caught whats the worst that will happen.
When states merely handed out citations for drunk driving there was a lot of it.  When states cracked down and imposed mandatory jail time and had check points etc, there was a lot less.  Not eliminated entirely because there's always someone out there who thinks he's smarter.

Third_Rail

• friend
« Reply #85 on: September 08, 2006, 09:53:55 AM »
That's a bit different, since drunk driving can and does injure other people and damage other people's property. Besides, alcohol is legal; marijuana should be as well, but "stoned driving" should be illegal.

As to how many break the law in China, no idea on the figures. The fact that they're killing people all the time and yet you can still buy whatever you'd like is pretty telling, though.

The Rabbi

• friend
« Reply #86 on: September 08, 2006, 10:05:13 AM »
That's a bit different, since drunk driving can and does injure other people and damage other people's property. Besides, alcohol is legal; marijuana should be as well, but "stoned driving" should be illegal.

As to how many break the law in China, no idea on the figures. The fact that they're killing people all the time and yet you can still buy whatever you'd like is pretty telling, though.
You can point out all kinds of differences.  My point being that lawbreakers consider two things before they act: likelihood of getting caught and penalty if they do.  An average person may lie on his taxes but he won't lie to a grand jury.
How many people have the Chinese authorities killed this year for dealing drugs?

Third_Rail

• friend
« Reply #87 on: September 08, 2006, 10:17:13 AM »
Agreed on that point! However, in some cases (NFA items, tobacco, alcohol) there are legal ways to do things. This very much cuts down on crime, as it would with legalizing drugs as well.

How many people have the Chinese authorities killed this year for dealing drugs?
No idea on the exact number, I'll look it up.

...ources estimate China executes about 15,000 people yearly....
There we go. You'd think that 42 people a day on average being executed would be enough to give people the idea that yes, they really are killing people over having a gram of marijuana, but the distribution and use of drugs continues. I still quite firmly believe that prohibition does not work and never will.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #88 on: September 08, 2006, 09:42:59 PM »
legalize all of it, put the real thing back in coke!

if (say) coke was legal again, we could put it in chewing gum
(like nicotine gum ,but better).
crack heads could get their buzz for a dollar and not have to go spread STD's
by prostuting them selves and muggers could try something easier like
begging  the potheads to stoned to
know enough to "just say no".

If you are FOR keeping drugs illegal then you are also
FOR criminal drug cartels, child prostitution, mugging,
human smuggling, sex slavery and murder & other unsavory aspects of
organized and unorganized crime & you are also FOR more direct attacks on the Bill Of Rights.

BTW, The only drug I use are aspirin and coffee/tea

I don't drink or smoke nothing.....

but getting back to topic, ...what was the topic...oh yeah...illegal aliens are destroying out national forest and park lands...they have shot folks in NorCal who accidentally walked into a pot farm, notably a guy and his son on their own land!
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

BakerMikeRomeo

« Reply #89 on: September 09, 2006, 12:34:46 AM »
If'n I may, I'd like to set up a scenario.

I'm kickin' back on my back porch at some stupid hour of the night or early morning (when I do most everything worth doing). I'm enjoying a Sam Adams and procuring from a clever cardstock pack a marijuana cigarette.

Assume for a moment that the weed is legal. This weed was grown in Iowa, Kansas, someplace like that; it was rolled into hemp-cigarettes in a giant Phillip Morris plant in Virginia along with a hojillion others that day, and delivered unto me via a rugged looking fellow at the convenience store underneath a pane of glass which loudly declares "WE CARD".

Two twinkies, a brownie, a couple of those little MRE pound cakes, a bag of funyuns, a 12-pack of coke, a huge bottle of water, and a Choco Taco to the person who can procure a good reason that the DEA should shut me down and stick me in the slammer for the rest of forever for smokin' the reefer.

~GnSx

Third_Rail

• friend
« Reply #90 on: September 09, 2006, 09:09:03 AM »
Always has amused me that one kind of plant is legal to grow, dry, and smoke, and yet so many are illegal to do that with... even though some of said plants contain the exact same compounds. Ah, gov't irony.

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #91 on: September 09, 2006, 11:04:36 AM »
Quote from: GunnySkox
Two twinkies, a brownie, a couple of those little MRE pound cakes, a bag of funyuns, a 12-pack of coke, a huge bottle of water, and a Choco Taco to the person who can procure a good reason that the DEA should shut me down and stick me in the slammer for the rest of forever for smokin' the reefer.
Cuz drugs are bad, mmmkay.

Seriously, I'd like to see how many people here think that prohibition works.  Judging by the number of people in jail for use/possession, it's pretty obvious that it doesn't.
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #92 on: September 09, 2006, 11:43:51 AM »
Why, that's a wonderful idea!

An even simpler fix to initiate would be to simply excecute all law enforcement personel in this country. Solves the same problem and we already have a handy list with their names on it.
As somebody who has started a second career as a deputy sheriff, I can hardly wait for the hordes of potheads, crackheads, meth dealers, and the like to beat a path to my front door.  When can I expect the intifada?  I'm down to just 10,000 rounds of ammo in the house, but that should be great plenty.  Looking at my organizer, next Tuesday is good for me.  Just let me know, so it doesn't interfere with my watching Eureka on the SciFi Channel.  :/
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"