Main Forums > The Mess Hall

Homemade Jerky

(1/2) > >>

TechMan:
Alright, who has a good homemade jerky recipe?  I have a dehydrator that I need to get back out and put some use to it.

zxcvbob:

* Sliced lean beef
* Brown sugar (1 tsp per pound of meat)
* Salt (1 tsp per pound of meat)
* Fresh ground black pepper (1/2 tsp per pound of meat)Mix it up in a freezer bag or plastic bowl, and refrigerate (covered) overnight. Then dehydrate it; not too hot because you don't want to cook it. If you're an overachiever, smoke it instead of using a dehydrator -- not too hot, you don't want to cook it.

AmbulanceDriver:
Adively, don't forget RocketMan's recipe from a few years back...  :)

Here is the marinade recipe SAD.  It originated on the Interwebz, but I tweaked it some, reducing the amount of salt used among other things.

Beef Jerky Recipe
Marinade for one pound of meat, properly sliced

1 cup water
3 teaspoons salt
Dissolve salt in water first if using a coarse grained type, otherwise mix with the rest of the dry ingredients.

1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon chili powder
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
¼ teaspoon liquid smoke

Mix dry ingredients in a small bowl, then stir into salt water mix using a whisk.  Add liquid smoke, stir.
Use mix to marinate meat overnight.  Stir meat in marinade as necessary to ensure all of it is coated.
Pat dry and place in smoker or oven for approximately three hours at 200 degrees.  Monitor closely during drying time.

bedlamite:
I generally use venison and keep it simple. Salt pepper, garlic, onion, brown sugar in either soy or teriyaki sauce, marinate for a day. Smoke 'em if ya got 'em, otherwise dehydrator.

Northwoods:
If you can, taking the time to let the meat air dry for a couple/several hours before putting in the smoker will help.  You'll get fewer drips making a mess of the smoker, and supposedly that also helps the smoke adhere and penetrate better.  I'm skeptical on the latter point, but concede it's possible.  Whatever the case, air drying for a bit before smoking has produced a better result, IMHO.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version