Author Topic: Diet soda increases your risk of heart attack and stroke  (Read 2171 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Diet soda increases your risk of heart attack and stroke
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2019, 11:00:00 AM »
I read a similar article yesterday, but it also threw in regular soda, which increased your risk of death from something else (I forget what).
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2019, 11:02:47 AM »
I'm not surprised.

Of course, from all the studies I've read, if something doesn't give you heart disease, it gives you cancer. There is no other option.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2019, 11:57:09 AM »
...from my cold, dead, hands!
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2019, 11:59:34 AM »
...from my cold, dead, hands!

Sooner rather than later, apparently.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2019, 12:02:07 PM »
Sooner rather than later, apparently.
Meh... :old:
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2019, 12:30:38 PM »
Okay, so they established an association of soft drinks of any kind with increased mortality (not "Diet Soda increases your risk" as the title proclaims). We will accept that at face value as they seem to have done their due diligence and used reasonably sound methodologies with regard to data collection.

Unfortunately their finding are also a blanket statement lacking specificity. What are the stats of the controls vs. the study group? Averages for weight, height, gender, existing medical conditions, other health risks, etc? Did they establish a greater link with other extant variables such carbonation levels, flavoring agents, and colorants? Was there any attempt at analyzing the lifestyles and exercise habits of those more likely to consume soft drinks vs. those who didn't?

The whole think smacks of a "result in search of a study" mentality. The results given are so broadly generic they are meaningless in terms of scientific applicability. I want to see specifics.

Brad
« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 12:54:20 PM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2019, 01:03:20 PM »
Okay, so they established an association of soft drinks of any kind with increased mortality (not "Diet Soda increases your risk" as the title proclaims). We will accept that at face value as they seem to have done their due diligence and used reasonably sound methodologies with regard to data collection.

Unfortunately their finding are also a blanket statement lacking specificity. What are the stats of the controls vs. the study group? Averages for weight, height, gender, existing medical conditions, other health risks, etc? Did they establish a greater link with other extant variables such carbonation levels, flavoring agents, and colorants? Was there any attempt at analyzing the lifestyles and exercise habits of those more likely to consume soft drinks vs. those who didn't?

The whole think smacks of a "result in search of a study" mentality. The results given are so broadly generic they are meaningless in terms of scientific applicability. I want to see specifics.

Brad

This.

Could just be people drinking diet soda thinking they're compensating for all their other poor diet choices. Correlation not causation and all that.

I think that it's probably people getting huge 32 oz diet sodas, and using it to wash down more food faster than they'd otherwise consume, eating contest style. Whereas a heavier sugar soda would slow you down a bit. Although even there HFCS's "smoothness" rather than the more astringent bite of cane sugar probably also is a factor, and leads to higher and faster consumption too.
I promise not to duck.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2019, 01:18:52 PM »
(not "Diet Soda increases your risk" as the title proclaims).

From the findings section:

Consumption of artificially sweetened soft drinks was positively associated with deaths from circulatory diseases

Note how this is consistent with the title: Diet soda increases your risk of heart attack and stroke

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2019, 02:07:00 PM »
They identified a correlation with non-diet drinks, too. Emphasizing one rather than both is cherry-picking headline sensationalism. The verbiage may be "technically accurate" but the inference is patently misleading when taken in context.

Brad
« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 02:36:03 PM by Brad Johnson »
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2019, 02:31:54 PM »
Studies can be deceptive, and mass media reports on studies can be even more deceptive.

For years, I have taken a daily Vitamin E supplement, and for many years I also took a fish oil supplement for Omega-3. At a semi-annual checkup at the VA hospital, my doctor told me that I shouldn't take either of those. Among other things, she said that Vitamin E causes prostate cancer in men.

My doc was a nice woman, but that's not enough for me. After the appointment, I started doing some research. I found studies on Omega-3 were interrelated with studies of Vitamin E. Ultimately, I decided to stop taking the Omega-3 supplement (and I still have most of a large bottle, if anyone wants it). It was what I learned about Vitamin E that was the eye opener.

It turns out that most over-the-counter Vitamin E supplements are synthetic and are based on "D-Alpha tocopherol." And, by itself, D-Alpha tocopherol has been linked in some studies with prostate cancer. However ... not all Vitamin E is synthetic D-Alpha tocopherol. The same studies reported that Vitamin E, even synthetic Vitamin E, comprised of multiple forms of tocopherol, are NOT associated with elevated risk of prostate cancer. So, rather than discontinue taking Vitamin E, I switched to a slightly more expensive version that's compounded from mixed tocopherols.

In my view, the only benefit to reading a mass media report on a medical study is to let me know there was a study. If you want to actually know what the study said or concluded, you have to read the study. Don't believe the media version.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2019, 03:43:11 PM »

In my view, the only benefit to reading a mass media report on a medical study is to let me know there was a study. If you want to actually know what the study said or concluded, you have to read the study. Don't believe the media version.

Millcreek pretty much always posts URLs to peer reviewed literature when he posts medical stuff.

People can do whatever they want, but I think it's been pretty well proven by now that soda is not good for you. I know I certainly feel healthier and have way less stomach problems drinking it a couple of times a month instead of a couple of times a day, which I did for years.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2019, 04:28:19 PM »
Millcreek pretty much always posts URLs to peer reviewed literature when he posts medical stuff.

People can do whatever they want, but I think it's been pretty well proven by now that soda is not good for you. I know I certainly feel healthier and have way less stomach problems drinking it a couple of times a month instead of a couple of times a day, which I did for years.

BUUUUTTT IT'S DIEEEETTTTT! 

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2019, 05:35:45 PM »

I don't drink diet, but regular mostly in the mornings and lunch.  However, I generally drink more water in the evening than I probably otherwise would to wash it down.  I sleep better well hydrated. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2019, 05:37:19 PM »
The verbiage may be "technically accurate"

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2019, 05:52:02 PM »
Read about a similar study a year or so ago, with the stroke warning. It motivated me to give diet cola up, as I've got a bad family history of strokes.  Went from 4-6 cans of Pepsi a day to 4-6 cans of Diet Pepsi to an occasional regular Pepsi and a whole lot of water.  Developed a morning coffee habit for the caffeine.  Even if the study is bogus, I'm likely better off.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2019, 06:34:51 PM »
I'm not debating that the study found a correlation. I accepted their results at face value. I'm pinging them hard on the scope and scale of their reported findings. A blanket correlation is not something you report as an end result. No self-respecting objective-minded researcher would dare publish something so broad except as a guiding element for further research to determine positively identifiable causal elements.

Brad
-HankB

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2019, 08:03:21 AM »
We are not built to intake that amount of artificial ingredients and sugar.  Soda is indefensible as a regular part of anyone's diet, whether it's leaded or unleaded. 
Both have been linked to obesity, chronic dehydration, early death, stroke...
It's *expletive deleted*ing garbage.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2019, 08:25:10 AM »
I thought it was established years ago that aspartame was inflammatory. Not surprising to see a study suggesting increased cardiovascular risk.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2019, 12:12:50 PM »
We are not built to intake that amount of artificial ingredients and sugar.  Soda is indefensible as a regular part of anyone's diet, whether it's leaded or unleaded. 
Both have been linked to obesity, chronic dehydration, early death, stroke...
It's *expletive deleted*ing garbage.

I didn't know they put lead in soda.  [tinfoil]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2019, 12:39:38 PM »
An interesting voice of reason on such studies:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/14/upshot/diet-soda-health-myths.html

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2019, 01:35:44 PM »
An interesting voice of reason on such studies:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/14/upshot/diet-soda-health-myths.html

100% of people that have died from cancer have consumed large quantities of dihydrogen monoxide over the course of their lifetime.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

brimic

• friends
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2019, 02:42:09 PM »
Diet soda has all of the benefits of HFCS/Sugar soda, plus chemicals!
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2019, 01:49:33 AM »
I ran into an Inuit woman who had lost 100 lbs over a year. Her sole dietary change was stopping drinking coke.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2019, 07:44:47 AM »
Life increases your chances of heart attack and stroke!

I'm not going to apologize for diet soda, but I am going to say this... Over the past 20 years we've witnessed multiple instances of foods being demonized by well researched studies fueled by a complicit media hungry for sensationalist headlines over how you're going to die screaming...

Butter, eggs, milk in its various forms, chocolate, coffee and others...

Only to have MORE well researched studies go... well, wait a second, maybe (for instance) butter isn't Satan's Solid Loin Juice Harbinger of Death we made it out to be... but transfats ARE! YOU'LL DIE SCREAMING!

And so much of it is fueled by non medical people who don't know what the *expletive deleted*ck they're talking about...

My favorite stoopid panic monkey crap is aspertame... Why, don't you know it causes 472,297 ills, ranging from toenail fungus to lethal hypersonic diarrhea?

I've grown tired of it, and am more than a little amused by it.

I shall continue to drink diet sodas, but in moderation.

I shall continue to eat eggs, cheese, milk, etc., but in moderation.

And I shall continue to tell people who piously lecture me that my 3 or 4 diet sodas a week are going to kill me to *expletive deleted*ck off, because life is a death sentence, and no one gets out alive.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.