Author Topic: I want to fire up my pellet stove...  (Read 583 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
I want to fire up my pellet stove...
« on: October 19, 2019, 08:15:17 AM »
It's been slowly getting cooler here in NoVa, which is a blessing after the heat and humidity this summer...

It got down to 39 last night here. I've been thinking about firing up my pellet stove for the first time this season, mainly to ensure that everything is copacetic, but I want the house to be nice and chill before I do.

Well, for the past 3 days the house has been stuck resolutely at 66.7 degrees.

I find it to be strange that for the first time in decades I'm rooting for cold weather...

I MIGHT be able to finally fire it up this evening for a bit, but I'm guessing that's going to be a stretch.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: I want to fire up my pellet stove...
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2019, 09:59:28 AM »
This will be my first "real" Winter, but I'm right there with ya. We had our sneak preview a couple of weeks ago with October record lows. Got to 19 at my place and I used the wood stove for the first time. Nice.

I will say I'm experiencing what you have spoken of in the past regarding "cold heat" vs "warm heat". I like my heat pump, and it does keep the house warm, but several days over the last few weeks, the temp has dropped below 28, which kicks on my propane furnace, and that heat is noticeably "warmer" than the heat pump heat. The wood stove has a noticeably warmer feel yet.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2019, 02:01:23 PM »
Yep. My heat pump keeps my house warm, but it's not a warming heat.

And when the system is on it is breezy in the house because to work effectively heat pumps have to move a LOT of air, so you can get a wind chill effect.

My pellet stove will be doing the lion's share of the heating this year. I've got the heat pump off right now, but when it starts to get colder, I'll turn it to heat, set it at 60, and let it take over only when it's absolutely needed.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2019, 02:32:55 PM »
First you will need a match.... :old: [popcorn]
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2019, 05:41:51 PM »
Yep. My heat pump keeps my house warm, but it's not a warming heat.

Yes.  Radiant heat heats objects, instead of air. (Just like the sun.)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2019, 07:22:00 PM »
Pellet stove isn't much radiant heat. It uses a blower to move air across heat exchangers so I guess its convection heating.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk