Author Topic: Sri Lankan cricket team attacked by gunmen in Lahore  (Read 742 times)

Iain

• friend
Sri Lankan cricket team attacked by gunmen in Lahore
« on: March 03, 2009, 01:56:17 PM »
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/7921430.stm

Another brazen attack. Cricket being what it is in that part of the world the media will be all over this, as was the intention. Very very embarrassing for the Pakistani government.

Last month the ICC decided not to hold the 2009 Champions Trophy there due to safety worries.

It is now considering whether Pakistan can co-host the cricket World Cup, due to be held across four South Asian countries in 2011.

Pakistan invited Sri Lanka to tour only after India's cricket team pulled out of a scheduled tour following the Mumbai attacks.

The Pakistani politician Imran Khan, a former captain of the country's cricket team, said the Sri Lankan visitors had been given inadequate protection.

"This was one of the worst security failures in Pakistan," he said. "The Pakistan government guaranteed the Sri Lankan cricket team that they would provide them security."

6 policemen and a driver killed. 7 Sri Lankan cricketers were very slightly injured, all released from hospital.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

JonnyB

• friend
Re: Sri Lankan cricket team attacked by gunmen in Lahore
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 02:01:17 PM »
Six policemen and a driver killed. Cricket team slightly injured?

I'd say the government did a pretty fair job of protecting them!

jb
Jon has a long mustache. No, really; he does. Look at that thing!

Leatherneck

• friend
Re: Sri Lankan cricket team attacked by gunmen in Lahore
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 06:58:13 PM »
Wait a minute. I thought the British sport that caused casualties was "football" (AKA soccer), not cricket.

That's just not cricket, old sport.  =D

TC
TC
RT Refugee