Author Topic: Spybird  (Read 1592 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Spybird
« on: February 18, 2011, 05:52:30 PM »
http://www.physorg.com/news/2011-02-robot-hummingbird-flight-video.html

'Scuse me while I load up my .22 and get rid of the hummingbird population in my neighborhood... [ar15]

:laugh:

Pretty cool toy.  Definitely doesn't sound like a hummingbird.  Dang loud.  Doesn't really fly like one either.  Have to be pretty dumb or inattentive not to know.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
Re: Spybird
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 06:37:08 PM »
Street noise would cover it.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Re: Spybird
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 10:40:06 AM »
Amazing. 

Interesting antenna system,

I still remember my brother flying his RC model back in the forties.  Rudder-only, controlled only by single radio pulses to a wind-up escapement mechanism* connected to the rudder.  One pulse right, next pulse back to neutral, next pulse left, next pulse back to neutral.  So to make a left turn, you had to give it three quick pulses, where it would waggle to the right, then back to straight flight, then finally turn left.  One more pulse and it would go straight again.

Landing was only possible when it ran out of fuel.  I remember seeing it rock back and forth slightly as the engine sputtered to a halt.

Egad!

Terry, 230RN

* The "wind-up escapement mechanism" was powered by a rubber band, which you would wind up just like you would a rubber-band powered prop model, except the rubber band was not connected to a prop, but rather to the rudder escapement.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 11:04:28 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.