Author Topic: Squirrels,,,  (Read 6722 times)

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Squirrels,,,
« on: March 28, 2011, 09:28:05 AM »
I am duly impressed. We've had this spring loaded anti squirrel bird feeder for a few years now. If they climb on it the outer cage moves down under their weight and closes off the port. Woked like a charm. I've watched them try and figure this thing out and finally give up in anguish and lope away. Well, this morning I come downstairs and look out the back door and I see this squirrel, hanging by ONE FRIGGIN HIND FOOT from the branch above and feeding away to beat the band. I submit that this learned behavoir indicates a pretty high level of problem solving skills wrapped up in one little almond sized brain.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
Re: Squirrels,,,
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 09:37:21 AM »
once you submit to the squirrels tenacity,
you can entertain yourself watching rodent shenanigans

the corn cob ferris wheel
the high wire walk
and the colander catapult
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 10:11:27 AM »
Some squirrels are smarter than some people.

Some people are smarter than some squirrels.

It all averages out.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 10:16:03 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 10:55:36 AM »
... wrapped up in one little almond sized brain.

You haz squirrels with mega-brainz?  No wonder they figured it out so slowly.  Are you seeing any other tree rats copying this technique?

Now - are you going out there to cut off that branch?  Either that or lengthen the wire holding up the feeder.

We eagerly await the new and improved results.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

280plus

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011, 11:04:56 AM »
I'm thinking coathanger wire type extension. This is the first one I've seen do this. Should I hold out and see if more catch on?

• friends
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2011, 11:06:36 AM »
get a electric fence charger. the kind that will light up about 7 miles of cattle fence  hook it up to the coat hanger
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2011, 11:12:13 AM »
Fried squirrel, it's what's for dinner...  :laugh:

• friends
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2011, 11:33:00 AM »
i've been trying to find the squirrel cannon that was made from pvc and self reloading i think it used compressed air and was triggered when the squirrel went in the barrel and the whole thing tilted like a teeter totter i wanna set it up and aim it at the barn wall to reduce the tree rat population

280plus

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2011, 11:37:43 AM »
Go out and get you a scoped at LEAST 1000 fps .177 cal pellet gun. Sight it in real good. Let the fun begin.  ;)

• friends
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2011, 11:44:02 AM »
i can shoot 22 lr here. i want the cannon to auto cycle all day. i do need to make it so the neighbor chihuahua can't fit in though

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2011, 11:58:09 AM »
i can shoot 22 lr here. i want the cannon to auto cycle all day. i do need to make it so the neighbor chihuahua can't fit in though

Why? As I recall, you'd be taking care of two problems at once that way!  >:D
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

280plus

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2011, 12:04:56 PM »
 :lol:

• friends
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2011, 12:20:02 PM »
i fear my daughters as unbelievers once feared the rack

280plus

• friend
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2011, 12:22:18 PM »
Ah, understood. The wifey used to be like that, now she just wants them "dead, dead DEAD!!"  It's a die of her I've never seen before.  :O

:lol:

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2011, 12:52:34 PM »
My dad has been live trapping and relocating them, but its like head shooting zombies from the mall roof.
More just keep on arriving.
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2011, 01:26:43 PM »
Smart little bastardos, they are, and very prolific this year.

Being sadistic, we let the Golden Retriever out on the deck for business, then say 'Squirrel'.

Funny stuff, as the dog goes nuts! (pardon the pun).

Bright dog, but still hasn't figured that they are faster and more athletic.

This is how we entertain ourselves in the country.....

Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2011, 08:51:26 PM »
I for one welcome our tree rat overlords... [tinfoil]
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2011, 01:39:13 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbBxlGuEs9k

=D

My dad used to have birdfeeder in the backyard.  He fought the tree rats for many years.  What caused him to finally give up and pull it out of the ground and into the trash ?

The day he came home and one had it swinging from side to side flinging seed everywhere and about 15 squirrels one the ground gobbling up the results.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2011, 03:10:56 AM »
My dad has been live trapping and relocating them, but its like head shooting zombies from the mall roof.
More just keep on arriving.

Sorta like a gravity well.  A squirrel well.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2011, 08:18:08 AM »
My grandfather spent the last few years of his life trying to defeat the squirrels. He'd watch the squirrels devour his bird food, take the feeder down, tinker with it for a few days in his workshop, set it back out, and repeat the cycle over again a few days later.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

280plus

• friend
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2011, 08:21:52 AM »
Sounds like a good thing for an old retired guy to be doing. Beats sitting around the house.  :lol:

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2011, 10:56:48 AM »
Smart little bastardos, they are, and very prolific this year.

Being sadistic, we let the Golden Retriever out on the deck for business, then say 'Squirrel'.

Funny stuff, as the dog goes nuts! (pardon the pun).

Bright dog, but still hasn't figured that they are faster and more athletic.

This is how we entertain ourselves in the country.....

We used to have a dog that loved to chase and bark at the squirrels.  The squirrels would get a low part of the tree and wag their tales to tempt the dog into chasing them.  I guess it was fun for them. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2011, 12:58:41 PM »
Pfffftttt.....
Forget that high tech crap. If you can't shoot them just set out the good old fashioned rat traps. Works all the time.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2011, 01:04:08 PM »
Pfffftttt.....
Forget that high tech crap. If you can't shoot them just set out the good old fashioned rat traps. Works all the time.
Thtat's tantamount to admiting defeat in the battle of wits with them
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.