Author Topic: SR-71 replacement  (Read 7506 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
SR-71 replacement
« on: January 21, 2012, 03:37:15 PM »
A thread on another forum got me thinking: what has replaced the SR-71 Blackbird?  Surely we still have another high-speed manned recon aircraft.  Drones and satellites cannot do everything.  I remember reading Net speculation about the 'Aurora' in years past, and I wonder what is out there that has not yet been revealed to the public.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: SR-71 replacement
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 04:35:11 PM »
The Blackbird and it's Lockheed sibling the A-12 were designed for speed and altitude goals in order to keep them from being shot down.  Advances in anti-aircraft technology forced the change in thinking from High And Fast to the then new area of Low Observability.  Plus, low observability usually means small, slow, and quiet.  That means the craft doesn't encounter the structural challenges of high altitude or supersonic flight.  That means less expensive on a per-unit basis.  That, plus advances in camera and data transmission technology, give engineers and designers the ability to scale down the craft to the point that you can deploy hundreds of them for the cost of a single HA/HS craft.  Or thousands of them vs an orbital observation platform.

As much as I love the Blackbird, both out of respect the incredible achievement it was for Lockheed as well as it's proven service record, I think the era of brute-force aerial observation is a thing of the past.  Sad, too, as they are truly unique and incredibly neat aircraft.

Brad
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 06:30:32 PM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, 04:37:09 PM »
At the USAF Museum in Dayton OH you can walk around the SR-71.  Since the U2 is still in service, AFAIK, it is hung from the rafters so you cannot see in the cockpit.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2012, 05:15:53 PM »
At the USAF Museum in Dayton OH you can walk around the SR-71.  Since the U2 is still in service, AFAIK, it is hung from the rafters so you cannot see in the cockpit.

I can confirm that the U-2 is still in service.  But there are a lot of other toys at our disposal.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2012, 05:27:06 PM »
There's enough photographic evidence of pulse-detonation contrails, and even seismic evidence of something moving faster than the SR-71 did.

http://media.photobucket.com/image/recent/jasper999/ufos-secret-Image8.jpg

So in that respect, I think that there is a successor, but I definitely agree with birdman, that it's not used as a spy platform. If amateur photographers and college geology depts. can detect it, I imagine its utility for covert ops has to be limited. You push something through the atmosphere at hypersonic speeds, it tends to become more of a "atmosphereic event" than an aircraft. Unless it's really tiny.

Uncle Sam has been very interested in rapid global force projection of conventional munitions without needing friendly countries as FOB's, or without having to have aircraft carriers right where you need them. I'd guess that goes at least as far back as our first raid on Libya as payback for the pan-am bombing and France denied ourF-111's overflight.

Except that anything on a ballistic trajectory has an undesirably high pucker-factor for the world's ICBM capable powers, unless we give them advance warning. And they in turn my tip off the tin-pot dictator that World-Police-America want's to make go-splodey on.  So that's th niche I think any new toys we have flying around at over Mach 3 are trying to fill.

Probably not manned anymore though.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 05:33:56 PM by AJ Dual »
I promise not to duck.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2012, 06:12:19 PM »
For those in the NW that are interested, the Evergreen Air and Space Museum in McMinnville, OR has an SR-71 and a D-21 drone on display.  A pretty slick display.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 06:33:21 PM by RocketMan »
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2012, 06:23:36 PM »
I think the Space Museum in Huntsville Alabama along 565 has one too.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2012, 06:46:04 PM »
http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1216913&page=1

The above link is a very interesting thread on donuts-on-a-rope contrails.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2012, 07:01:31 PM »
The thing about the SR-71's is that even though they are "retired" if they get moved at all, even a foot, the U.S. has to notify Russia because of different treaties. 
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2012, 07:07:51 PM »
http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1216913&page=1

The above link is a very interesting thread on donuts-on-a-rope contrails.

I like the way the guy showing his pics is so conviced that the one with the dit-dit-dit path across it is absolute proof of a pulsed propulsion system when, in reality, it's a great long-exposure shot of an aircraft's blinking anti-collision light. 

Reminds me of a vid a few years back a guy had taken while on the southeast coast of Florida at night.  It was conjoined hazy donutty-looking light circles suddenly joined by a second set of conjoined hazy donutty-looking light circles, the first set slowly dimming and diverged course.  He claimed was absolute proof of alien aircraft.  Me?  I'm pretty sure it's absolute proof of poor lens quality (lens flare), an idiot who doesn't know how to properly focus his camera, and one of the multi-stage rockets that are routinely launched from... *gasp*... the southeast coast of Florida.

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2012, 07:10:13 PM »
Brad, are you suggesting that some UFO sightings are just the result of people not being smart enough to identify flying objects?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2012, 07:19:14 PM »
There's enough photographic evidence of pulse-detonation contrails, and even seismic evidence of something moving faster than the SR-71 did.

Orion-ish?

In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2012, 07:21:17 PM »
Brad, are you suggesting that some UFO sightings are just the result of people not being smart enough to identify flying objects?

Yeah, so?
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2012, 07:21:37 PM »

Nah, I think it's the result of people being too dumb to identify painfully obvious flying objects.

Brad
-HankB

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2012, 07:21:38 PM »
A thread on another forum got me thinking: what has replaced the SR-71 Blackbird?  Surely we still have another high-speed manned recon aircraft.  Drones and satellites cannot do everything.  I remember reading Net speculation about the 'Aurora' in years past, and I wonder what is out there that has not yet been revealed to the public.

Drones and satellites. 

We have the X-37, some prototype scamjets like the Advanced Hypersonic Weapon (AHW) project, etc. They're cute.  Satellites and drones do the bulk of the actual work.

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2012, 07:25:33 PM »
Drones and satellites. 

We have the X-37, some prototype scamjets like the Advanced Hypersonic Weapon (AHW) project, etc. They're cute.  Satellites and drones do the bulk of the actual work.

I've heard about those scamjets.  Shifty buggers, always trying to steal you blind with some fast scheme.

Brad
-HankB

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2012, 08:36:04 PM »
Drones and satellites. 

I've heard spy satellites have gotten to be scary precise.  I imagine that covers a lot of the spying jobs. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2012, 08:38:08 PM »
I like the way the guy showing his pics is so conviced that the one with the dit-dit-dit path across it is absolute proof of a pulsed propulsion system when, in reality, it's a great long-exposure shot of an aircraft's blinking anti-collision light. 

Reminds me of a vid a few years back a guy had taken while on the southeast coast of Florida at night.  It was conjoined hazy donutty-looking light circles suddenly joined by a second set of conjoined hazy donutty-looking light circles, the first set slowly dimming and diverged course.  He claimed was absolute proof of alien aircraft.  Me?  I'm pretty sure it's absolute proof of poor lens quality (lens flare), an idiot who doesn't know how to properly focus his camera, and one of the multi-stage rockets that are routinely launched from... *gasp*... the southeast coast of Florida.

Brad
There was one of those shows a while back where some biker type guys were supposed to be proving or disproving myths in 30 minutes.  They got some long exposure camera footage of an area showing lights circling over head.  Turns out it was a distance shot of an airport approach area showing airplanes circling.  They at least admitted that.

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2012, 08:43:04 PM »
I had a old materials science professor in school in the mid-90's.  It was his opinion that we were capable of building aircraft that could go Mach 10 or 15, but due to the extreme high temperatures on the wing surfaces at those speeds, either materials to build them were very very expensive and hard to make or the useable life was extremely short. 

That hypersonic missile we heard about is what speaks volumes to me.  If we were able to build a anti-ICBM system that was even half effective, that hypersonic missile would allow us to hit just about anyone else with impunity. 

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2012, 08:51:00 PM »
I wonder what is out there that has not yet been revealed to the public.

Ask the Iranians  =D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2012, 09:13:45 PM »
Actually, I'd be pretty pissed if it was to turn out that we don't have a crap load of really cool, super secret, high tech gadgets and weapons to use against "the other guy"*.

* who ever that happens to be at the time.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2012, 09:53:16 PM »
Actually, I'd be pretty pissed if it was to turn out that we don't have a crap load of really cool, super secret, high tech gadgets and weapons to use against "the other guy"*.

* who ever that happens to be at the time.

The super sekret stuff is less useful than most folks thing. Boots and rifles are still the most important weapons in a country's arsenal. The minds and training are more important than even those. Drones, satellites, and super-weapons are cute. But they are not very important in the long run. The industrial base and personality of the country involved are the telling signs.

We have expensive shiny toys with limited real world value, because we can afford the luxury. You want the toys? Keep an economy healthy enough to afford the inefficiency of such groundbreaking but limited use tech.

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2012, 11:34:34 PM »
Yeah, so?

WHO'S EVER HEARD OF STEEL MELTING? BUSH KNEW!!!!
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2012, 09:46:37 AM »

Like flares.  I know a couple people who were working ATC in the Phoneix area when that whole to-do over the UFO happened, and have personally witnessed enough flare launches in the desert to be able to identify flares.  They do weird things on very clear nights over the desert, though.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2012, 10:20:24 AM »
Like flares.  I know a couple people who were working ATC in the Phoneix area when that whole to-do over the UFO happened, and have personally witnessed enough flare launches in the desert to be able to identify flares.  They do weird things on very clear nights over the desert, though.

Like get moved by the wind?  Or even climb?  Crazy!
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?