Author Topic: St Paul police in "wrong-door no-knock"  (Read 9478 times)

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
St Paul police in "wrong-door no-knock"
« on: August 14, 2012, 12:23:52 AM »
Not going to excerpt, but worth the read:

http://reason.com/blog/2012/08/10/st-paul-cops-shoot-dog-in-wrong-door-rai

Y'all will excuse me, but is this REALLY the price we're willing to pay in our "War on Drugs"? Children terrorized and denied their medication?
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

brimic

• friends
Re: St Paul police in "wrong-door no-knock"
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 09:15:44 AM »
Well at least no one was killed this time ;/
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 09:20:25 AM »
they left out the part about dad being convicted as a result of the raid and is currently doing time.  must be an oversight in article :facepalm:
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

brimic

• friends
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 09:46:24 AM »
they left out the part about dad being convicted as a result of the raid and is currently doing time.  must be an oversight in article

What part of the 4th amendment do you not understand?

"Even after learning that they were in the wrong house, the complaint states, the drug busters stayed in the Francos' home and kept searching it."

Barack Obama

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012, 09:55:47 AM »
BACA is going to have to start helping out kids traumatized by the police next...  :police:

=|
I promise not to duck.

• friends
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2012, 10:02:53 AM »
What part of the 4th amendment do you not understand?

"Even after learning that they were in the wrong house, the complaint states, the drug busters stayed in the Francos' home and kept searching it."

i am a might leary of relying on the plaintiff for all my evidence
the more so when he has violent priors
ymmv

there was a most interesting ruling once that had to do with what was in effect mens rea on the part of the cops.  a court let stand the search since the cops didn't know the warrant was flawed  i'll seev if i can dig it up
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2012, 10:03:39 AM »
they left out the part about dad being convicted as a result of the raid and is currently doing time.  must be an oversight in article :facepalm:
The linked article in the OP explicitly states that they found a .22 caliber pistol in the "basement bedroom of Gilbert Castillo" which they attributed to the head of the Franco household, Roberto Franco, who was then convicted of unlawful possession of a firearm.

Since .22 pistols aren't illegal to keep in your home in Minnesota, this suggests Franco was a "prohibited person" . . . e.g., already a convicted felon.

Still, reading about things like this, at least with a lawsuit going forward, they should be able to precisely identify the cops on the raid, which is good information to have and may be useful.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

brimic

• friends
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2012, 10:11:11 AM »
there was a most interesting ruling once that had to do with what was in effect mens rea on the part of the cops.  a court let stand the search since the cops didn't know the warrant was flawed  i'll seev if i can dig it up

I've heard of that, but what one judge might allow, another won't. Judges, like cops, are not infallible and are prone to overstepping the BOR.

Barack Obama

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2012, 10:15:41 AM »

citation please.
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2012, 10:19:12 AM »
citation please.

It's in the linked article

"Plaintiff Roberto Franco was wrongfully convicted of the alleged offense and is currently incarcerated with the Minnesota Department of Corrections," the complaint states.
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2012, 10:22:56 AM »
So the jist of it appears to be, the basement was the bedroom of one guy, and they attributed the OWNERship of the pistol that was found there to the head of the household, who judging by the article is likely a prohibited person.

Of course, none of this should *expletive deleted*ing matter.

Once they found out they were in the wrong house, they should have immediately exited.
Fitz

---------------
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:

-MicroBalrog

• friends

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2012, 10:25:11 AM »
CSD, are you taking the position that, due to this guy's status as a convicted felon, he A.) forfeits protections against unreasonable and illegal searches and seizures and B.) can be held accountable for the possession of a pistol that was found in another person's bedroom?
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

brimic

• friends
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2012, 10:29:47 AM »
sorry forgot this

http://www.doc.state.mn.us/publicviewer/Inmate.asp?OID=236813

So what does that have to do with the price of tea in China?

Illegal search is illegal.

Barack Obama

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2012, 10:31:17 AM »
So what does that have to do with the price of tea in China?

Illegal search is illegal.

Remember, according to CSD, any illegal or over the top actions of the police are perfectly fine if CSD doesn't like the victim.

So, if he's a convicted felon, crotch rocket rider, or any other undesirable.
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

• friends
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2012, 10:47:28 AM »
CSD, are you taking the position that, due to this guy's status as a convicted felon, he A.) forfeits protections against unreasonable and illegal searches and seizures and B.) can be held accountable for the possession of a pistol that was found in another person's bedroom?

a?  no   but i do take his and his landsharks statement with a grain   or 2 of salt
b?  quite possibly   not sure about minn law  in particular that peculiar addendum that he was in possesion of a gun  (allegedly)" after a violent crime"

2) except as otherwise provided in clause (9), a person who has been convicted of, or adjudicated delinquent or convicted as an extended jurisdiction juvenile for committing, in this state or elsewhere, a crime of violence. For purposes of this section, crime of violence includes crimes in other states or jurisdictions which would have been crimes of violence as herein defined if they had been committed in this state;

The lifetime prohibition on possessing, receiving, shipping, or transporting firearms for persons convicted or adjudicated delinquent of a crime of violence in clause (2), applies only to offenders who are discharged from sentence or court supervision for a crime of violence on or after August 1, 1993.

For purposes of this section, "judicial determination" means a court proceeding pursuant to sections 253B.07 to 253B.09 or a comparable law from another state.

and i'm also curious that there was no lawyer/suit for so long.  hes been away almost a year and the event was a year before that

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2012, 10:48:25 AM »

I'm fairly sure this is a textbook definition of "fruit of the poisonous tree".  See Nardone v. US.

Now, there are exceptions to the Fruit argument in regards to illegally obtained evidence. One of those is good-faith exemption, see US v. Leon (468 U.S. 902) and Massachusetts v. Sheppard (468 U.S. 981), regarding reliance upon a defective search warrant if the police reasonably believed they were in the right. The second they admitted "Hey, we have the wrong address", they lost good-faith exemption because they then knew that the search warrant was invalid. Everything prior to the wrong address determination is probably ok to introduce to a court, under good faith, because they believed they were executing a valid warrant. If they found contraband before the determination, the guy is hosed. If they found contraband after the determination, it is to be tossed out. Anything else is contrary to SCOTUS case law.

Uhm, very straightforward, legally. Unless the guy has an idiot for a lawyer. 

It would get legally interesting if they used PC gathered from prior to the invalid warrant determination to go get a second warrant, I admit that gets above my legal knowledge. 
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2012, 10:51:12 AM »
a?  no   but i do take his and his landsharks statement with a grain   or 2 of salt
b?  quite possibly   not sure about minn law  in particular that peculiar addendum that he was in possesion of a gun  (allegedly)" after a violent crime"

2) except as otherwise provided in clause (9), a person who has been convicted of, or adjudicated delinquent or convicted as an extended jurisdiction juvenile for committing, in this state or elsewhere, a crime of violence. For purposes of this section, crime of violence includes crimes in other states or jurisdictions which would have been crimes of violence as herein defined if they had been committed in this state;

The lifetime prohibition on possessing, receiving, shipping, or transporting firearms for persons convicted or adjudicated delinquent of a crime of violence in clause (2), applies only to offenders who are discharged from sentence or court supervision for a crime of violence on or after August 1, 1993.

For purposes of this section, "judicial determination" means a court proceeding pursuant to sections 253B.07 to 253B.09 or a comparable law from another state.

and i'm also curious that there was no lawyer/suit for so long.  hes been away almost a year and the event was a year before that

It wouldn't have mattered if they found 15 guns, 3 dead hookers and bushel basket full of crack, the warrant was served at the wrong residence.

Barack Obama

• friends
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2012, 10:51:47 AM »
i believe rev has it right are right  and thats why i wanna see when the cops found out it was wrong address. i do not assume plaintiff lawyer is truthful  in fact would be shocked disappointed if he was

• friends
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2012, 10:52:21 AM »
It wouldn't have mattered if they found 15 guns, 3 dead hookers and bushel basket full of crack, the warrant was served at the wrong residence.

you are mistaken

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2012, 10:53:57 AM »

That is not legally correct.  

The exceptions are as follows:
- it was discovered as a result of an independent untainted source
- it would have been discovered despite the tainted source
- the chain of causation between the illegal action and the tainted evidence is too vague
- the search warrant not based on PC was executed by government agents in good faith

Edit: Although, if the guy has even a half-decent lawyer, the lawyer will argue that the search continued for quite some time after the determination and that ANY evidence found should be suspect for that reason. Because it's not possible to determine beyond reasonable doubt what was found before or after the determination. And the lawyer would be right. Short of finding the 15 guns, dead prostitutes and crack baskets in the area immediately within the doorway (or say on the porch or other enclosures), there is a lot of reasonable doubt.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 10:59:00 AM by RevDisk »
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2012, 11:01:41 AM »
This is yet another example of why no-knock and dynamic entry warrants should not be allowed. ALL this could have been avoided if the police had properly knocked on the door, identified themselves, and properly "served" the warrant -- giving the residents of the house an opportunity to read it, and then inform the officers that the guy named in the warrant lives next door.

But it's so much more fun to smash through doors at oh-dark-thirty and shoot family pets in front of the children ... Knocking on the door like a civilized human being and blushing slightly when told "You have the wrong house" just doesn't match up in fun quotient at all.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

brimic

• friends
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2012, 11:04:01 AM »
That is not legally correct. 

Wher eis the line between legitimate search and a fishing expedition based on a 'text from an informant' or an 'oops, we have have the wrong address, but looky here at what we found?'

Barack Obama

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2012, 11:37:05 AM »
And I, personally don't care about the guy getting busted for the .22. My anger is entirely aimed at "denied one child their medication"

Seriously, folks: you had police officers deny a child prescribed medication, resulting in medical complications, and y'all are gonna go on about some guy getting busted for a gun?
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

• friends
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2012, 11:39:51 AM »
there was an alleged "diabetic incident"  i am indeed shocked that the landshark hasn't shown the med report.  you think this guys gonna do better in civil court than he did in criminal?  why?