Author Topic: Can Vista be replaced on laptop?  (Read 1448 times)

BBQJOE

Can Vista be replaced on laptop?
« on: June 18, 2007, 09:15:22 AM »
Hi all, just popped over here from THR.
I recently got a new dell inspirion laptop. Dell said it could not install xp, that it comes with vista period.
Does anyone know if vista can be removed successfully and replaced with xp or xp pro?
I've heard some guesses, but no one with actual experience.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Can Vista be replaced on laptop?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2007, 09:16:30 AM »
Dell is still selling laptops with XP for those people who don't want to convert.

Any chance of exchanging the unit?

And I can't see any reason why the laptop wouldn't work with XP, unless there were some unsupported components.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

BBQJOE

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2007, 09:24:17 AM »
Well one of the "Guesses" I heard was that the processors would only work with vista.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2007, 10:23:53 AM »
I have read on the Intarwebs of people successfully formatting their Vista hard drive and doing a clean install of XP.  This requires having a retail disc of XP and of course losing any data on the drive.  Apparently, trying to install XP over an existing install of Vista causes problems.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2007, 11:22:21 AM »
You can still order a Dell with XP.

No processor issues.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

JimMarch

• friend
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2007, 12:40:36 PM »
What I've done is load Ubuntu Linux 7.04 "Feisty" and then run Win2000 as a virtual machine under that for the two Windows programs I need.  I assign Windows up to a gig or more of my 2gigs RAM total.  More details on virtual machine tech including my recipe here:

http://www.bbvforums.org/forums/messages/72/47504.html?1182127332

This is a screenshot showing Linux running on my 1280x800 screen, with Win2k taking up an 800x600 window:

http://www.equalccw.com/virtual2.jpg

I can also full-screen Windows and scale the resolution up.

Not only does it work, it allows Ubuntu's improved security to "shield" Windows from trojans and such. And if malware does get in, it can't burrow into the disk's boot sectors because the Windows "boot disk" is really a file within the Linux disk structure.

InfidelSerf

• friend
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2007, 05:13:45 PM »
Welcome BBQJOE, I hope you brought some good smoked brisket and pork shoulder.  Smiley

As for installing on a "vista only" laptop.  I am assuming that it came with a restore disk.
If so I would just try an installation and see if it works. 
Worst case scenario is you have to use the restore disk and put that bloated POS back on it.
The hour is fast approaching,on which the Honor&Success of this army,and the safety of our bleeding Country depend.Remember~Soldiers,that you are Freemen,fighting for the blessings of Liberty-that slavery will be your portion,and that of your posterity,if you do not acquit yourselves like men.GW8/76

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2007, 07:49:31 PM »
You can certainly replace it with XP if you want.

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2007, 08:05:23 PM »
As others have said, there's no issues with replacing Vista with XP.

Except, possibly, hardware support...but at this time, that's not too likely.  6 months from now, with MS threatening to yank licenses from those that still support XP, that could be a different story.

"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2007, 03:00:31 AM »
Who told you that at Dell?Huh?  I've got a brand new Dell Desktop (less than 2 weeks) and I demanded (and got, without a fight) XP. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2007, 03:34:35 AM »
I recently got a new dell inspirion laptop. Dell said it could not install xp, that it comes with vista period.
Does anyone know if vista can be removed successfully and replaced with xp or xp pro?
I've heard some guesses, but no one with actual experience.

Borrow someone's OEM copy of Dell's XP Pro install disk.  Boot off it, blow away the Vista partition and have fun.

There should be no reason at all you can't install XP (or better yet, Debian or Ubuntu) on it. 

In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.