Author Topic: spyware that actually uninstalls itself??? no way!  (Read 1008 times)

spacemanspiff

spyware that actually uninstalls itself??? no way!
« on: June 03, 2005, 11:06:12 AM »
so i've been battling with some rather malicious and ornery spy- and mal-ware one some of my workstations. stuff that not even hijackthis, spybot search & destroy, or adaware could get rid of. it'd reinstall itself automagically minutes after being removed. it was TPBS, wintools, and some searchbar.

on a whim i tried uninstalling them from admin level in control panel (win2k) and the freaking thing actually uninstalled itself! the processes are removed, there is no more registry entries, and the computer is working just fine now.

i'm wondering if it did leave something that will pop back up again in the future though. it'd have to be memory resident though, and nothing in the logs looks out of place.
Wear a Yellow Armband!

yci

spyware that actually uninstalls itself??? no way!
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2005, 11:53:31 AM »
I ran into one of those a while back.  Like you, I found it listed under Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel.  Uninstalled it, haven't seen it since.

Things may have changed a bit on this type of thing since then, but were it me, I'd just watch the system for a few days and call it good if nothing weird starts happening.