Author Topic: A question for you all...  (Read 6740 times)

Lo.Com.Denom

• friend
  • Welcome to my world...
A question for you all...
« on: March 26, 2006, 09:34:35 AM »
What with threads on dowsing, Alien Big Cats, 9/11 conspiracy theories and suchlike, it's all getting a bit Fortean around here. Seeing as I'm a bit of a Fortean myself, I just have to ask...

Ever experienced the paranormal yourself?

Could be anything that you consider "unexplained", from a strange creature you encountered whilst out in the woods, to a family ghost story. UFOs, a rain of frogs, poltergeist activity, anything at all.

Now, in other threads, everyone struck me as being commendably open minded, whilst not being credulous, which is why I'm asking. Please leave out any mocking comments, if someone has a "far-out" story to tell. With that in mind, don't hold out if you've got a good anecdote -- I really want to hear it!

Thanks.

Lo.Com.Denom

Winston Smith

• friends
  • Cheaper than a locksmith
    • My Photography
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2006, 09:36:23 AM »
Look up the Ghost story thread. Some hair raising reading.
Jack
APS #22
I'm eighteen years old. I know everything and I'm invincible.
Right?

Justin

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2006, 10:21:15 AM »
Ever experienced the paranormal yourself?
I've never experienced anything paranormal.

However, I did once see the skeleton of a very strange creature.

During summer about ten years ago, our family took a vacation to Block Island, which is a nice little place off the coast of Rhode Island.  Anyway, after dinner one evening, we were walking down near the docks, and saw something weird, and decided to investigate.

Laying on the dock was the skeleton of a creature that had been dredged up by a boat.  It was 15-20 long, and didn't appear to have any limbs.  It was very snake-like, with a pointed, triangular head about the size of a breadbox, but flatter.

Somewhere, filed away in a scrapbook is an article that appeared in the local newspaper about it.

To this day, I have no idea what the thing was, some sort of eel or snake, or something.  But whatever it was, it was big.
Your secretary is not a graphic designer, and Microsoft Word is not adequate for print design.

Justin

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2006, 10:23:29 AM »
I freakin' love Google:

Block Island Sea Creature
Your secretary is not a graphic designer, and Microsoft Word is not adequate for print design.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2006, 10:30:11 AM »
We have Pat the Ghost living with us, does that count?
Avoid cliches like the plague!

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2006, 11:31:26 AM »
I was 12 or 13 and on a campout with the boyscouts I think it was in or near Fort Ticonderoga.
Well late at night I look out from my open tent and I see this...ghost! he was carrying a kind of blunderbuss looking rifle only the front wasn't really that wide but it was quite short, like a carbine.
He was dressed like a guy who was hunting in those days would dress, no tri corner or anything it looked quite realistic...except I could see right through him! he was like a life size fine line drawing but the lines were a bright light.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2006, 11:44:32 AM »
I got out of a pool once and found that its magical water had shrunk my weiner.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Lo.Com.Denom

• friend
  • Welcome to my world...
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2006, 11:50:17 AM »
Quote from: 280plus
We have Pat the Ghost living with us, does that count?
I'm all ears...

And yup, anything weird or unexplained is what I'm after. Sea-monsters definitely qualify Smiley

Just found the Ghost thread -- a couple of good stories there. Just out of interest, do you have a link to those "Bigfoot" vocalisations that you mentioned back then, Blackburn?  

The interesting thing is, I don't think that I know anyone (normal) who hasn't had something unexplained or spooky happen to them. Even the most down-to-earth of them.

I'll maybe post some of my own stories tomorrow.

Iain

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2006, 12:09:59 PM »
This didn't happen to me, but to a neighbour, a level headed sensible policeman. He moved into a house across the road a few years back with his wife and daughter. After a while he started seeing an old man. He'd see the guy walk down the passage way between his house and the next (terrace house) and go to the front door, insert a key in the door in a totally different place than where the lock is now, and then pass straight through the door. He'd see him in the house sometimes too.

He moved.

Not sure what I make of stories like that, but he was by far the most credible person I have met with a tale like that.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2006, 12:34:12 PM »
I've got a cat. That probably counts.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2006, 01:58:42 PM »
Well, from what I've heard, Pat was a single guy who lived in this house before my wife. He was killed on the way home in a car crash one day. The neighbor, who knew him well, had always taken care of the house when he was away and did so after his death until it was sold. She claims that she experienced strange happenings in the furnace room and told Pat to knock it off. To which he complied, according to her. She said he was a nice guy so he's nothing to worry about. When I moved in a few years ago there were some strange things going on. Most memorable being that this carved GI coconut head my Uncle brought back from New Guinea after WWII kept turning around to face the wall on it's shelf. I don't think Pat liked it because it is representative of the dark magic of the New Guinea headhunter/cannibal. Bad Ju Ju if you will. There were other things that escape my memory but anytime something unexplained happened Pat was the prime suspect. Things have been calm lately and I got the impression that at first Pat wasn't too happy with my presence and was being protective of my newfound stepdaughter who was 11 at the time. I think he questioned my intentions or thought I was another who would play Daddy for a while and then leave her. When he saw, after a couple years, that I WASN'T going anywhere, he calmed down and hasn't been very active lately, as if his job is done. It has been said that if you die suddenly sometimes you don't realize you're dead and simply continue on with what you were doing. The thought is Pat simply continued on his way home after dying and has been here ever since. He is quite benevolent. My neighbor INSISTS he is here and if I told her what I just told you she'd agree with every bit of it.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2006, 03:00:53 PM »
I constantly cause large streetlights to go out.  Started happening about 15 years ago and now it happens quite frequently when I'm driving.  The grandkids laugh when it happens and say "look, grampster put out another light".
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

280plus

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2006, 03:49:35 PM »
That's interesting because I think the same thing. When I pass under them they go out. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one!

I think the large piece of steel passing under them disturbs some magnetic field or something that causes them to go out when they're weak.

I may think we have a ghost but I don't think I cause streetlights to go out. Of course,,,you never know...

shocked

Cheesy.

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2006, 04:42:10 PM »
Nope, I must be not too into pissing off spirits and unknown creatures.
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

Justin

• friend
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2006, 05:23:10 PM »
Quote from: grampster
I constantly cause large streetlights to go out.  Started happening about 15 years ago and now it happens quite frequently when I'm driving.  The grandkids laugh when it happens and say "look, grampster put out another light".
I've had this happen too.  A year or so ago, I stumbled across an article on the web that explained the phenomenon.   Can't remember any of it, though.

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2006, 06:39:44 PM »
LCD,

I don't have a post, I have a book!  I've seen and heard "things" my whole life.  It's actually quite assuring, seeing with my own eyes that I'm more than a meatbag.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Iain

• friend
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2006, 12:35:06 AM »
Quote from: grampster
A friend's brother constantly breaks watches. He's had watches start going backwards when he wears them and all sorts.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

grampster

• friend
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2006, 04:42:56 AM »
I also cause women to swoon and men to come and clap me on the back and give me money. Tongue
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

280plus

• friend
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2006, 04:46:00 AM »
Now THAT I don't do...

Cheesy

Stickjockey

• friend
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2006, 05:36:58 AM »
July 1995, about 2230. I sit bolt upright in bed, wide awake, like the "something just went bump in the house; break-in?" type of bolt upright and awake. I hear my Grandfather say quite clearly, "I'm all right." Thusly reassured, I lay back and go back to sleep.

Perfectly ordinary, yes? Well yes, except that he'd died two days before.
APS #405. Plankowner? You be the judge.
We can't stop here! This is bat country!!

Lo.Com.Denom

• friend
  • Welcome to my world...
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2006, 12:28:48 PM »
Thanks for sharing, peeps! Keep 'em coming...

Well, apart from "baaaad feelings" about things, I've personally been involved in two paranormal experiences.

Firstly, when I was nearly one year old, mum was alone with me upstairs, running a bath. Setting me down for a minute to turn off the water, she turned back to find me gone! Frantically searching, she found me at the bottom of the stairs, around a corner, and lying on my back. Somehow, in the space of a minute, I had got over one child-proof stair-gate, down the stairs, over another stair-gate and around the corner in complete silence, without so much as a bruise on my body. And I had only just learned to stand...

For years afterwards, I didn't realise that falling down the stairs could injure you. I still have this childhood memory of sort of floating gently down the stairs and mum going crazy because she thought that I had fallen and killed myself.

Before you cry "BS", if you sign in to the "Fortean Times" websites "It hapened to me!" forum, you'll find about eight pages of people giving very similar accounts of the same phenomenon. Granted, on the Fortean Times forums you will attract the sort of people who'll claim such things -- that's the nature of "paranormal" websites. However, I related this tale to a friend of mine, a member of the clergy who definitely doesn't make stuff up. He promptly looked a bit shocked and said that his mother had once had a similar experience as a child, too! She thought that her guardian angel had saved her from falling downstairs, by lifting her up and letting her float down.

Seems like, although it's almost unheard of in paranormal literature, this weird phenomenon is actually quite common. Why? Who knows. I can't even come up with a theory as to why it happens.

The second incident happened on the way back from school, when I was about 13 years old. Mum (she seems to attract this stuff) was driving me home in the late afternoon, whilst I was reading a magazine in the front seat. We were travelling down a quiet country road when I looked up and saw, what I can only describe as a black, man-sized apparition in the middle of the road!

Interestingly, I refused to accept what I saw with my own eyes and went back to reading my magazine!

When Mum said something like: "Did you see that!!", I rather angrily snapped "Aww, it was a just couple of black bin-liners (garbage bags), or something!". Mum maintained that it was nothing of the sort and that it had disappeared into thin air before the car could reach it.

One thing I noted, after hearing her tell the story a few times, is her subconcious exaggeration of the facts with each telling. At first it was just a man-shaped black blob in the road. Then it was a man walking down the road. Then he was wearing a long coat. Next he was wearing a hat...

I'll leave it there for now. I have another story from when my dad was just a boy, growing up in Cambridge, but it's getting late. It involves a very malevolent poltergeist and a phantom dog. Wouldn't want to give you nightmares! Cheesy

Quote from: Antibubba
I don't have a post, I have a book!  I've seen and heard "things" my whole life
G'wan, tell us the best bits!

grampster

• friend
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2006, 02:52:25 PM »
About 10 years ago I was lying in bed in the early afternoon.  We were at a resort in Ft Myers Beach, Fl.  I was relaxing and thinking about a nap after being in the sun and walking the beach.  I entered that sleep state that I think most of you may know of.  Your are sort of asleep, but you hear the world going on around you; tv, radio, music,  wife talking, the surf, other extraneous noise, but not exactly awake.
I was in a very relaxed and contented state of mind.  I noticed that a figure was standing at the foot of the bed.  It looked sort of human, but I "knew" it was not.  The figure did not have male or female attributes.  It was just a figure and it was in light.
I heard a voice in my head that told me that it was my guardian angel.  It did not talk or move it's lips.  I wondered why I could hear it.  It "said" that they don't speak but do communicate and that was what I was "hearing".  I asked it what it's name was and it told me Polarius.  Again it did not appear to be talking, just standing at the foot of my bed and being in my presence, for lack of a better explaination, but I heard the voice.  Throughout this whole experience I felt uplifted and good and content.  I was sad when "he" went away.
I'm sure this can be explained by the scientists or skeptics as a dream state.  But it was as real to me as anything I have ever experienced.  To this day I am comforted by that vision.

In December of 1968 I contracted the Hong Kong flu.  This is the sickest I have ever been in my life.  Between me being sick and then my wife, I was out of commission for nearly 30 days.  I have had people tell me that they had the HK flu and went to work.  Crap!!  Everyone that I knew that really had the HK flu nearly died.
On Christmas day, I was bedridden.  Both sides of the family were downstairs celebrating Christmas.  Suddenly I felt very strange.  Up to this point I was unable to get out of bed even to go to the bathroom.  My wife was putting me on a bedpan as I was so weak and fever ridden.  In an instant I was no longer in the bed.  I was hovering face down up by the cieling, looking down on my body lying in the bed.  I knew that I had left my body.  I was weightless and without care except surprise.  I was totally aware that I had gone.  In another instant, I was back in bed and shouting for my wife.  I told her to call a priest, that I needed the last rites, that I thought I was going to die.  Shortly, the crisis seemed to pass and I began to feel better.  It took another week to fully recover, but by that time my wife was equally ill.  She hallucinated and saw visions that frightened her.  It was a very strange time.  Again, anyone who later told me they had HK flu and was able to go on with life I knew to be full of condensed horse pucky.

DJJ

• friend
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2006, 04:12:03 PM »
I once got a creepy feeling in an old house with no electricity as the sun was going down. I'm sure it was just the power of suggestion, but it was strong enough that I left pronto.

I just noticed the other day I'm missing 2 pieces from a chess set that has been sitting on a dresser in a spare bedroom for almost 2 years. I live alone (or do I?! shocked ), I don't remember them missing when I moved in, and set it up, but I sure as hell can't find them.

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2006, 04:49:22 PM »
Was having fun with a girl in high school who lost her mother about 3 years before.  When I was leaving her house late one evening after a roll in the hay I looked back as I was walking down the driveway.  I seen the outline of an older woman's face in the basement window watching me leave.  I turned around and started to walk faster.  As I looked back again the face was gone.  I know we were the only two in the house the whole evening.

crt360

• friend
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2006, 05:13:20 PM »
I have the same problem with street lights turning off as I drive past them.  So much for my special powers.
For entertainment purposes only.