Author Topic: In N Out Burger: A Patty Full of Meh  (Read 6346 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
In N Out Burger: A Patty Full of Meh
« on: July 20, 2011, 03:06:26 PM »
In N Out Burger (INOB) opened a few stores 'round here the last couple of months.  They have been sort of a well-managed mob scene, what with the off-duty cops, orange cones, crazy long lines.

One day, I managed to time it right so that instead of "sheer utter madness" wait lines, it was merely "dearlordwhatareyouthinking?" wait lines.

So there I was....

I kinda liked their menu's simplicity.  I ordered some double burger, heaped up nice & sloppy, along with fries & a drink. 

I take a bite out of the burger, remembering all the raves I heard when I visited LA for work.  I chew it a bit and then figure that all the other burgers in California (besides INOB) must be made of sawdust, as the actual, in-my-hands INOB is a whole lotta "meh."  No "greasy burger" grease-dripping indulgent goodness.  No flame or charcoal grilled accents.  Not even anything detectable in the way of funky spices.  It rated right up there with McDonalds.

The fries claim to be cut & made fresh.  OK.  I did get some decent potato-y flavor out of them, but they were all so danged limp.

All in all, a great big disappointment.  I was reminded of McDonalds-quality food without the McDonalds menu selection.

It seems I wasn't the only one underwhelmed by INOB.  The local alternative news rag ran a comparo with Whataburger and INOB did not do well by comparison.
http://www.dallasobserver.com/2011-07-14/restaurants/patty-smackdown/

http://www.dallasobserver.com/slideshow/whataburger-vs-in-n-out-a-smackdown-with-dallas-burger-mavens-33761169/

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Re: In N Out Burger: A Patty Full of Meh
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 03:11:41 PM »
Yeah, I had the same issue with the much hyped 5 guys. Tons of food for cheap I grant you, but taste wise just not impressive.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 03:12:23 PM »
Funny you mention Whataburger, I wasn't at all impressed with them when I ate at one of their Mobile, AL locations a few years ago.

I've never tried INOB.

Chris

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 03:35:33 PM »
That always seems to be a problem when a regional chain decides to try and expand to far.  They usually don't live up to the hype or more than likely they lose control of the quality control in place by being regional.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 03:47:05 PM »
Funny you mention Whataburger, I wasn't at all impressed with them when I ate at one of their Mobile, AL locations a few years ago.

I've never tried INOB.

Chris

I hear ya.

What Whataburger has going for it is it is a middling burger with lots of options.   And you can get a real malt, not just a shake.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2011, 04:19:53 PM »
Yeah, I had the same issue with the much hyped 5 guys. Tons of food for cheap I grant you, but taste wise just not impressive.

May be an issue with your local franchise. I continue to be pleasantly surprised by 5 guys when I drop in every couple months.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2011, 04:53:44 PM »
Now, neither my wife or I are very big eaters.  You can eat a burger and fries at INOB and not feel like you have eaten enough.  Besides, doesn't "In N Out" burger sound like it has a laxative effect.  =D
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2011, 05:06:04 PM »
5 Guys is great.

Now, White Castle had been all hyped to me somewhere in my life, so I stopped for a slider a couple of months ago. That was a forgettable burger-ish like object. Tasted like sawdust, not even like hamburger. Heck, I don't even remember it tasting like it had been salted.
Andy

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2011, 05:10:41 PM »
As long as there's a Five Guys, Mighty Fine, or a Fudruckers in business, INOB won't stand a chance....
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 06:14:47 PM by seeker_two »
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2011, 05:14:09 PM »
Thanks for the reminder to visit Whataburger when I'm in the Houston area next week.
"It's good, though..."

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2011, 05:22:02 PM »
Find a Foster's Grille.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2011, 05:27:15 PM »
IMO, the best hamburgers are always at local mom&pop places don't always look pretty and have less crap on the walls.  At least the meat usually tastes better.  Locally at least, that is where the cops go.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2011, 05:49:10 PM »
May be an issue with your local franchise. I continue to be pleasantly surprised by 5 guys when I drop in every couple months.

5 Guys is great.

Now, White Castle had been all hyped to me somewhere in my life, so I stopped for a slider a couple of months ago. That was a forgettable burger-ish like object. Tasted like sawdust, not even like hamburger. Heck, I don't even remember it tasting like it had been salted.

What is it you like about 5 guys? Honestly curious if we just got a bad example, or if I'm just not a fan.

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Seenterman

• friend
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2011, 05:51:51 PM »
Shack Shack, NYC. Best Burgers I've ever had in my life, includes those expensive restaurant burgers. There expensive like $7.00 for a burger, but they can't be beat.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2011, 06:14:50 PM »
INOB- Tried it a couple of years ago in Vegas, it was okay, better then meh, but not OMFGTIG!!!

5guys - Tried it in Knoxville (Lenoir City actually)  Lots of food (fries) for the money, again okay but not OMFGTIG!!!

White Castle - The Aluminum Room's claim to fame is being open 24/7.  It is/was the place to go at 3-4am after an all night bender/card game/pub crawl.  Because it's those little buns that soak up 20x their weight in alcohol when in your stomach.  And the grease counteracts any negative effects of said alcohol or whatever else you may have consumed.

Aldi's 85% lean patties - Once cooked on my Weber charcoal grill, they become Ron Swanson burgers.

We just got  Chick-Fil-A here in Wheaton.  OMFGTIG!!!!
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 07:05:19 PM by scout26 »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2011, 06:27:23 PM »

Aldi's 85% lean patties - Once cooked on my Weber charcoal grill, they become Ron Swanson burgers.
I buy those and grill them too.  They are really good (and the price is right) but I wish they also sold 'em in 1/3 pound patties, not just 1/4 pound.

I have some maple firewood (I think it's silver maple) and no longer heat with wood (long story) so I've been splitting/sawing it into small chunks and using it in a Weber Tailgater.  I pack one of those "chimney" charcoal starters with wood chunks, stuff the bottom with newspaper, and light it and let it burn for a while.  When it kind of looks like lump charcoal I start grilling with it.  I never expected soft maple to have such a smoky flavor; almost as strong as hickory but different.
"It's good, though..."

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2011, 06:38:25 PM »
The places ya'll are eating 5 Guys and In N Out must just be crappy examples...because the 5 Guys and IO joints I have eaten at have been very good...and I'm a big fan of cheeseburgers (as in, for three weeks on a trip across the country, I generally ate a a burger for most of either my lunch or dinner meals). Yes, the mom n pop joints are usually very, very good, but they can also be much harder to find on a trip (and especially when you want a burger RFN and don't want to stray from the route or interstate because you need to get on down the road). I stick with the momnpop joints mainly when I'm say, visiting family for a couple of days or have time to chill out and seek out a great meal.

White Castle (and it's southern equivalent, Krystal) are the places you go for drunk food...they can be fairly decent if you need some quick food, but they generally aren't spectacular kinds of places.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2011, 07:07:38 PM »
The local (Clackamas, OR) 5 guys definitely gave me a "meh" both times I was there. Yeah, it's a lot of food, but neither the Mrs. or I were impressed by the flavor.  Even the fries were "meh" considering they were fresh cut.  Oil wasn't hot enough is my opinion.  Limp, greasy fries are not my idea of good.  The second time, they were just as bad, but I decided to do the "cajun" variety.   No flavor, just heat and added salt.  

Unless I hear of vast improvements, we won't be back there.
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2011, 09:20:50 PM »
Yeah, the fries were a major disappointment. Limp, soggy, and in the case of the ones from the middle of the tater under done.

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2011, 10:15:26 PM »
IMO, the best hamburgers are always at local mom&pop places don't always look pretty and have less crap on the walls.  At least the meat usually tastes better.  Locally at least, that is where the cops go.

The two best burgers I ever had were at a small restaurant in Grand Marais, MI and at the little burger stand right on the locks in Sault Ste. Marie, MI.  The place in Grand Marais served venison burgers.  Yum!

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2011, 10:25:53 PM »
In Chicagoland, even though their claim to fame is beef sandwiches,  Portillos has real good hamburgers.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2011, 10:48:52 PM »
The 5 Guys I've been too had the best, freshest, and most lettuce, tomato, and onion I've ever gotten on a burger. I like a lot of toppings, and 5 Guys hit the spot.
Andy

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2011, 09:13:16 AM »

All the salt is on the fries.  =)  I think you've been reading the hype all wrong (but don't worry, it's fistful's fault). White Castle isn't competing in the arena of Quality Ingredients and Best Burger in the World. It's all about having a sack full of greasy, onion-smothered burgers. Personally, when I want a hockey-puck burger (and I frequently do), I prefer McDonald's, but White Castle is good from time to time.

They just built a new Christy's in my area. It is the burger heaven most of you will never know, unless you live near Saint Louis or the state of Mississippi.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2011, 09:51:19 AM »
White Castle's is an acquired taste. SWMBO and I like them.  She worked there for awhile in college and didn't want to eat them after she had quit, but then one day she got the crave and has eaten White Castle's ever since.  We even went to White Castle's for this past Valentine's Day.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Pharmacology

• friends
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2011, 10:20:21 AM »
I was thinking of trying InO  when I'm in Dallas this weekend.

I may just skip it and find a Five Guys  :D