Author Topic: More research on medical marijuana  (Read 1650 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
More research on medical marijuana
« on: February 24, 2018, 12:18:24 PM »
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/medical-marijuana-myths-debunked-in-new-study/

Two interesting findings on youths using marijuana and marijuana replacing opioids for pain control.  I find the latter particularly interesting since we have an increasing number of patient who are attempting to substitute marijuana for opioids for chronic pain.  The anecdotal reports from them so far are mixed.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
Re: More research on medical marijuana
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2018, 12:35:39 PM »
We are seeing a lot of this where I work. We have a few people who get admitted on a regular basis because they are dehydrated and their electrolytes are all out of whack from the vomiting. I imagine we will be seeing more. :(

bob

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2018, 12:50:02 PM »
I think I'll just stick with my good old fashioned tramadol with tylenol.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2018, 12:58:14 PM »
We have also seen some of the cannabis hyperemesis in our ambulatory clinics.  A lot of the patients are not happy with our advice to stop the marijuana, but when Zofran and other anti-emetics are not working, there is not a lot else to be done.

BobR

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2018, 01:07:50 PM »
We have also seen some of the cannabis hyperemesis in our ambulatory clinics.  A lot of the patients are not happy with our advice to stop the marijuana, but when Zofran and other anti-emetics are not working, there is not a lot else to be done.

I tell them to either stop smoking pot or get a really big water heater because they will be taking a lot of hot showers. See, I have solutions. ;)

bob

grampster

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2018, 03:15:28 PM »
If you have acid reflux problems I can tell you that pot works very well on quelling the pain from that, maaan.  Sometimes, maan, the pain from acid reflux can be very intense, maaaaan.  I would take a very large hit maaaan,and try and swallow the smoke rather than inhale it, maaan.  It acted almost instantly,maaan.   This was before we had an Rx for acid reflux, maaan.  Those meds work very well, maaan and a couple of them actually contribute to some healing of the esophagus, maaaan.  I have Barretts esophagus, maaan and it has not progressed to pre cancerous since I got the meds, maaan.  But if you only, maaaan, have an isolated outbreak of reflux, pot will help.  A little buzz was ok too, maaan. =D
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 04:04:16 PM by grampster »
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2018, 03:28:12 PM »
If you have acid reflux problems I can tell you that pot works very well on quelling the pain from that.  Sometimes the pain from acid reflux can be very intense.  I would take a very large hit and try and swallow the smoke rather than inhale it.  It acted almost instantly.   This was before we had an Rx for acid reflux.  Those meds work very well and a couple of them actually contribute to some healing of the esophagus.  I have Barretts esophagus and it has not progressed to pre cancerous since I got the meds.  But if you only have an isolated outbreak of reflux, pot will help.  A little buzz was ok too. =D

Was anyone else surprised to learn that "grampster" is Tommy Chong's APS screen name?  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2018, 03:31:27 PM »
Dave's not here, man.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2018, 03:48:50 PM »
If you have acid reflux problems I can tell you that pot works very well on quelling the pain from that.  Sometimes the pain from acid reflux can be very intense.  I would take a very large hit and try and swallow the smoke rather than inhale it.  It acted almost instantly.   This was before we had an Rx for acid reflux.  Those meds work very well and a couple of them actually contribute to some healing of the esophagus.  I have Barretts esophagus and it has not progressed to pre cancerous since I got the meds.  But if you only have an isolated outbreak of reflux, pot will help.  A little buzz was ok too. =D

I have GERD and my esophagus tends to spasm and "cramp" so nothing can come up or go down. The reflux keeps my upper "windpipe" irritated so I have a persistent cough as it always feels like I have mucus in my windpipe. I had Botox injected into my esophagus again yesterday to address the cramping. The last time they did that, it lasted for damn near 3 years before I needed it done again. The first time, it didn't take.

Between all my GERD issues, back pain and these damn crippling headaches, I'd be all about some pot therapy if it helped BUT, I am blood and urine tested for drugs by the VA pretty regularly and that would cost me my healthcare there.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

grampster

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2018, 04:05:21 PM »
If you have acid reflux problems I can tell you that pot works very well on quelling the pain from that, maaan.  Sometimes, maan, the pain from acid reflux can be very intense, maaaaan.  I would take a very large hit maaaan,and try and swallow the smoke rather than inhale it, maaan.  It acted almost instantly,maaan.   This was before we had an Rx for acid reflux, maaan.  Those meds work very well, maaan and a couple of them actually contribute to some healing of the esophagus, maaaan.  I have Barretts esophagus, maaan and it has not progressed to pre cancerous since I got the meds, maaan.  But if you only, maaaan, have an isolated outbreak of reflux, pot will help.  A little buzz was ok too, maaan. =D

Now that the truth is out, maaaan, I duly edited the OP.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

BobR

• friend
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2018, 04:10:25 PM »
Using pot will not cost you your VA health care, it will however give the VA cause to terminate any opioid pain meds you are getting from them. So the decision is really left up to the Vet, use pot and get tapered off of your opioid pain meds or don't use pot and continue getting them, although that will slowly be taken away also. Using opioids for chronic pain will eventually be a thing of the past.

bob

https://www.publichealth.va.gov/marijuana.asp

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2018, 08:01:09 PM »
Right, I misspoke. I am on a ton of meds and they will get real bitchy about this and that even though I take very little Vicodin these days, less than I SHOULD, truth be told. 28 5 mg pills will last me 3 months or more.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2018, 03:54:21 PM »
now, something called "katrom" is getting all the attention.
Seems to be working for some friends of mine, relieves pain and gives some kind of smooth no jittery buzz.
legal in most places, popular with "sophisticated weed smokers" .... I'm curious about it but i do just fine with otc meds.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2018, 06:36:59 PM »
Kratom: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitragyna_speciosa

https://www.drugs.com/illicit/kratom.html

Some countries and US states have banned it; several other states and the Feds are thinking of banning it.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2018, 07:46:12 PM »
We got some CBD oil to try. Anyone else use it for pain? What were your results?
MOLON LABE!

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2018, 06:28:09 AM »
Kratom: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitragyna_speciosa

https://www.drugs.com/illicit/kratom.html

Some countries and US states have banned it; several other states and the Feds are thinking of banning it.

I think you mean lobbyists want them to ban it...
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Calumus

• friend
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2018, 09:41:45 AM »
We got some CBD oil to try. Anyone else use it for pain? What were your results?

My fiancée's father used "butter" when he was going through chemo. It was the only thing that let him keep anything down. It had the added bonus of actually letting him eat at all. He had lost enough weight that his dentures didn't fit right anymore, and had developed a wicked case of thrush the last two weeks of his life. So it just plain hurt to eat. Add that to the nausea, and he started wasting away. Then he started being given a peanut butter cup smeared with butter before meal times, and he was actually able to eat again. It definitely improved the last couple weeks of his life.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2018, 03:58:46 PM »
Oh. I thought this thread was about someone's trip to Colorado. For "research."
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2018, 03:14:10 PM »
I have one friend who suffers from chronic back pain, who has been getting fair results with CBD oil. She mostly vapes it, but will sometimes put a drop or two under her tongue (one warning: this stuff tastes like you just tossed a skunk's salad. Have a chaser handy).

She says it isn't perfect, but it's better than the opioids...
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)