Author Topic: On struts, wires, braces, canvas, and the open cockpit  (Read 608 times)

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
On struts, wires, braces, canvas, and the open cockpit
« on: March 10, 2023, 09:50:03 PM »
On struts, wires, braces, canvas. and the open cockpit.

Assembly , startup, great flight, landing, and shutdown of a 19 and 12 flying machine.  Just for grins.

https://youtu.be/35GPE09bU9c (10:48)

A little over my personal 10-minute time limit rule for videos, but rules are made to be broken.

And the music ain't bad.

Terry, 230RN

All the struts and wires and cables and whatnot, from the Wiki article:

« Last Edit: March 10, 2023, 10:14:18 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
Re: On struts, wires, braces, canvas, and the open cockpit
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2023, 02:48:32 PM »
He was lucky to keep it in the air, I bet the drag from his hood on the sweatshirt filling with air cost him a few knots. ;)

Have a dream, live the dream must be this guys unspoken motto.

The folding wings were a nice touch, kept him from having to build a new shed. ;)

bob

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2023, 04:09:47 PM »
I figure the folding wings must be responsible for maybe an extra 30% of all those struts and wires and braces.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2023, 06:38:30 PM »
Brave man and great job! Not going to set any speed records though.
I would almost bet a 10 or, maybe even less HP Briggs & Stratton would be WAY lighter and out perform that OLD lump of cast iron.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

HankB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2023, 09:30:32 AM »
Brave man and great job! Not going to set any speed records though.
I would almost bet a 10 or, maybe even less HP Briggs & Stratton would be WAY lighter and out perform that OLD lump of cast iron.
Funny thing - even though I'm not a pilot, I was thinking a reproduction of an old plane could be fun, if it had a more modern engine. With a power curve and weight appropriate to the design and structure of the aircraft, of course.

Of course, I'd probably choose something just a couple of years more "modern" like a Fokker D-7, but that's easy to say since it's not going to happen.

By the way, did you notice that after manually spinning the prop, the guy was still on the ground alongside the plane, pretty close to the spinning prop? I don't think I'd want to be standing that close, but that's the way of those old birds.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2023, 12:38:24 PM »
I noticed the proximity to the prop too, but figured it must be an effect of the camera angle or something.  Somewhere I saw a vid where another guy was holding the back of the actual prop spinner to keep  him away when the engine started. Not sure why that was necessary for that startup.

https://youtu.be/-kjRL-Q-KBc

(Skip Ad available)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2023, 02:29:33 PM by 230RN »

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2023, 05:15:37 PM »
Not sure what happened to my original reply, done right after you posted this.  It disappeared apparently.  To repeat, I mentioned that this was a neat video, Terry.  The music was good like you stated, as well.  Thanks for posting this.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2023, 05:29:15 PM »
that's one of my bucket list items that will probably never be realized , cool video
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2023, 02:57:32 AM »
Not sure what happened to my original reply, done right after you posted this.  It disappeared apparently.  To repeat, I mentioned that this was a neat video, Terry.  The music was good like you stated, as well.  Thanks for posting this.

Something went wonky while I was posting and I had to re-post since my original disappeared.  Don't know how that might have affected your post. ???

I'm still wondering why I have three "connections" showing at my URL in the lower right hand corner of my posts. I still didn't get an answer to that question.  Maybe I'm just paranoid, but the only device I use to get on APS is my laptop,  I do use three different browsers, though, and I'm still running Win7, so maybe the three "branches" off that URL are legit.

And I'm still having line wrap problems on APS on the Brave browser oo have to scroll horizontally to see the whole line.

Off topic, but since you mentioned a problem....
« Last Edit: March 13, 2023, 03:10:00 AM by 230RN »

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2023, 10:18:29 AM »
Great vidoe.  Cool plane.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2023, 01:56:13 PM »
Great video Terry.
The man had to turn down the throttle after starting the engine as the plane started to roll.  Yeah, he was that close.  See how he turned his body to get behind the blades and throttle down?
Another point of interest - NO AILERONS !!  That plane used the "wing-warping" techniques pioneered by the Wrights.
Gutsy pilot.
  =D
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2023, 09:53:18 PM »
I don't know when flaps and elevators came about, but I've always been amazed that the Wrights themselves didn't use them right from the start.

They applied so much genius to their work and had their own wind tunnel, so I can't imagine why they didn't think of (or use) simple hinged airfoil surfaces to accomplish roll and rudder capabilities instead of bending / twisting  / "warping" the whole airfoil.

? ? ?

Terry, 230RN

P.S.
Museum-built replica of the original Wright engine... mostly lip flapping to about 3:55, where they actually run the engine instead of their mouths.

https://youtu.be/FJB2GMVhK6Q

« Last Edit: March 13, 2023, 10:16:28 PM by 230RN »