Author Topic: Coyote concern, Update II  (Read 1477 times)

T.O.M.

• friend
Coyote concern, Update II
« on: December 03, 2010, 11:02:33 AM »
Saw my first coyote on our walk last night. 

My dog started pulling at the leash as we cam up to the wooded area in the suburb.  As usual, it's her way of telling me "Pay attention, dummy!" so I did.  Saw it about 30 yards ahead of us, right on the edge of the woods.  My girl started growling a bit.  I pulled out my Glock 10mm and fired 10 quick shots, which also took out the three hidden coyotes waiting in ambush...

Kidding.  I pulled out a flashlight, shined it on the Coyote, and it trotted off to the woods.  I crossed the street to the opposite side, and just kept an eye on the area as we walked by.  In case anyone wonders, yes I had my CCW with me, in a shoulder rig under my coat.  I did pop the snaps on the coat when I saw the coyote, but that's as close to combat as it got.

Thanks for all fo the davice along teh way, good or bad.   ;)
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: Coyote concern, Update II
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2010, 11:09:08 AM »
You have to wonder what the coyotes are writing about you on the coyote forum  :lol:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

BrokenPaw

• friends
  • Sedit qvi timvit ne non svccederet.
    • ShadowGrove Interpath Ministry
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2010, 11:53:11 AM »
You have to wonder what the coyotes are writing about you on the coyote forum  :lol:

This:

Quote from: SbrbnNfltrtr
Saw my first human when I was out scoping for chihuahuas last night.

This guy came walking up, never would have noticed me if his traitorous little leashed wolf-wannabe hadn't basically dragged him over to look.  He was about 40 lengths away, and the wannabe was growling like she wanted a piece of me.  As if.  He pulled out his shiny bangmaker, so I leaped toward him and tore out his throat before he could even get it pointed, then I had my way with his pet. 

Kidding.  He got out a Light Thing and pointed it at me.  Boring.  So I trotted off into the woods to make him lose interest.  Guy was so scared he crossed the street, and kept watching where I'd been.  Stupid human.  Couldn't even figure out how to keep his coat fastened properly.

I wonder what sort of total noobs gave him advice on how to deal with me...

Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2010, 11:55:56 AM »
BP FTW. =D
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2010, 12:10:05 PM »
Thanks, BP. Very well played. I needed that chuckle this morning
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2010, 01:23:21 PM »
BP, big props for the creativity, and the laughs.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2010, 01:32:20 PM »
Thanks for following up on my cue, BP  =D

Oh, here's another one...

I came across something weird in the woods today.

I was minding my own business, just trotting over the hill to get a bite to eat at that new Fresh Chicken place I discovered a while back, when I noticed something move at the base of a tree.  Being color blind, I wasn't sure what it was so I ran back the way that I came, and then cleverly turned and trotted a little ways to evade being followed before I stopped to get a better look.

I would tell you more about it but I'm dead now.  Bummer  =( 
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2010, 02:25:57 PM »
that was great BP
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2010, 02:54:28 PM »
More kudos for BP's coyote perspective. 

I wonder, do coyotes have the coyote equivalent to mall ninjas?
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

HankB

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2010, 05:43:37 PM »
I've seen an occasional coyote here, but never while on foot. It's been a while . . .

Funny thing is, about a month or so back while I was out in front picking up the paper, I happened to shine the flashlight at the vacant lot next to me, and saw a pair of yellow eyes approaching . . . with another pair further back in the woods. At first I thought the critter was a cat, but the gait didn't look right . . . and when it reached the lot line - about 50 feet away - I saw why: it was no cat, it was a gray fox. It stopped and looked at me . . . I looked at it . . . and with a little growl, it retreated back about 20 feet into the woods and started screaming at me.

Not a growl, not a howl, but a scream. I guess it was being territorial. Kind of cool, to see that much attitude in a little critter that probably doesn't weigh more than 10 or 15 pounds.  (Smart critter, though . . . he didn't start screaming until after he put some brush between me and him! =D )

BTW, I live in an ordinary suburban area just west of Austin, TX . . . typical lots are about 1/3 acre.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

thebaldguy

• friends
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2010, 10:31:44 PM »
These problems are even the urban areas inside big cities. I saw the largest red fox I've ever seen here in the big city. We live near a wooded industrial area. We were walking up to the corner bar one evening, and saw a huge red fox trotting down the sidewalk on the other side of the street. This fox was as tall as my neighbor's German Wirehair Pointer. The neighbor had seen a coyote in the neighborhood earlier this year walking his dog. There is a huge supply of rabbits and squirrels available for their fine dining, and yes, there are missing cats and small dogs. We're not worried about our safety, but something like this can cause problems for people with pets.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2010, 10:49:23 PM »
There is a huge supply of rabbits and squirrels available for their fine dining, and yes, there are missing cats and small dogs.

Not to mention lots of waste human food.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2010, 02:31:54 AM »
yup, yotes in Reno, 150 miles south -tend to be much larger.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2010, 12:20:28 PM »
Chris: Any way you could borrow a flash-bang grenade from your LEO buddies?  If that doesn't scare off the 'yotes, it'll scare off anything that they're hunting....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.