Author Topic: "Charlie, can you hear me now?"  (Read 1732 times)

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
Re: "Charlie, can you hear me now?"
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2010, 02:59:30 PM »
Charles Manson, busted with cell phone

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/weird/Cell-Phone-Charles-Manson-Busted-with-a-Mobile-111256244.html?dr

The comments do raise an interesting question; why not have airport-style security checks of everyone entering a prison?

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2010, 03:06:18 PM »
The comments do raise an interesting question; why not have airport-style security checks of everyone entering a prison?

profiling? no terrorist attacks on prisons? racist? ... unions? corrupt guards bring in booty for cash.
We have to protect the rights of violent murderers - not their victims ... I'm surprised you didn't know that. Report to a reeducation center immediately
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2010, 03:11:57 PM »
Did anyone else think "Wait, they HAD cell phones back then?"
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2010, 04:36:08 PM »
Did anyone else think "Wait, they HAD cell phones back then?"

As in, within the past 3 years?  You did read the story, right?

And yes, the vast majority of contraband comes in via staff.  They are either doing it for the $$, or because they think an inmate has some dirt on them.

At least it is slightly easier to understand why they bring in contraband than it is to understand why they get sexually involved with inmates.

Cell phones are banned form federal prisons, but the rules are murkier in state institutions, especially California, where overcrowding makes it impractical to punish phone possessors with more time. ....

Prisoners simply get a reprimand and have the phone confiscated.

If that reprimand does not involve assignment to a higher security level and loss of priveleges then I am going to need to take additional blood pressure meds.  No need necessarily to move them to a different facility, but at least take away TV set, radio, commissary, and perhaps visiting for some meaningful period of time (90 days??).

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2010, 04:53:08 PM »
^^^^^

I thought old Charlie was in isolation already.

ETA:

Ah here it is:
Security Housing Units, "the most secure areas within a Level IV prison designed to provide maximum coverage." Among these units is the Protective Housing Unit which holds up to 47 prisoners who require "extraordinary protection from other prisoners." The Protective Housing Unit has been described as "strikingly calm" because inmates "don't want to be moved somewhere less guarded." Only one violent incident occurred in the Protective Housing Unit, in 1999, "when a guard left a door open and three inmates from the secure housing unit next door attacked inmates Charles Manson and Juan Corona

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_State_Prison,_Corcoran
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 04:57:56 PM by adively »
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2010, 04:53:32 PM »
As in, within the past 3 years?  You did read the story, right?

No, I meant when he was originally captured.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2010, 12:24:18 AM »
^^^^^

I thought old Charlie was in isolation already.

ETA:

Ah here it is:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_State_Prison,_Corcoran

It's got to be staff!  The amount of searching that goes on before you get to Isolation is worse that getting gropulated by the TSA.  And visiting for Iso inmates is non-contact, in a cage with a solid glass partition between visitor & inmate.  Anything that needs to be passed from visitor to inmate 0 even legal papers - gets handed to a guard who walks it around from one side to the other.

Nice to see the Cal guards' union has cleaned up the staff so well. [/sarcasm]

stay safe
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

wuluf

• friend
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2010, 08:22:19 PM »
I LOVE the fact that a state senator thinks that making it illegal..to have a cell phone..in PRISON..will solve the problem.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2010, 09:15:44 PM »
I LOVE the fact that a state senator thinks that making it illegal..to have a cell phone..in PRISON..will solve the problem.

What would the punishment be?.....sending them to prison?....  ;/
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2010, 10:29:54 PM »
Wow, I was not current.  I thought that Mr. Manson was still at the medical facility in Vacaville.  He has not been there for decades.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.