Author Topic: Is this mahogany?  (Read 4107 times)

myrockfight

Is this mahogany?
« on: September 22, 2008, 03:00:48 PM »
I am selling this stuff for my parents and I was wondering what kind of wood it was. I think it is mahogany, but I wanted to me sure when I explain it on craigslist.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
Re: Is this mahogany?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2008, 03:20:22 PM »
I am thinking it could also be teak, it has the dark stripes running through it. There is a mahogany that is used as a teak substitute so they look very similar.

I am sure this didn't help, sorry. Maybe you can find a local wood worker than can give you a good ID after looking at the furniture.

bob

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008, 03:20:51 PM »
Is that a bar or a type of Wooten Desk?
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

myrockfight

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2008, 04:23:05 PM »
It is a liquor cabinet. I was thinking it may be teak also. That and mahogany were the first two thoughts.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2008, 07:04:50 PM »
Looks like the kind of furniture that was popular with GIs who were stationed in the Far East.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2008, 07:16:09 PM »
ooo a liquor cabinet... 

I wish I had room for it, I'd buy it off you.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2008, 07:41:02 PM »
I'm pretty sure it's not mahogany, although it's hard to tell with the finish...  My parent's have some solid mahogany furniture, and it's considerably darker.  Mahogany is typically finished a pretty dark color, as well.  Is there an area that's unfinished that you could photograph, perhaps with some of the grain detail?
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2008, 07:44:04 PM »
It would go good with some leather-bound books.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

S_O_Laban

• friend
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2008, 08:15:06 PM »
I guessing you posted a pic,(which I can't see.)  So I can't help there.

I would mention that I have worked with both woods and if there is a place on the underside where you can rub some sandpaper you may be able to tell the difference.

Teak has a lot of natural oil in it and when you sand it, it tends to clog the paper more, and the dust looks and feels like it has a little moisture in it.

Mahogany will give you the more dusty type of look and feel as other hard woods do.

Hope this helps. smiley

myrockfight

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2008, 07:55:55 AM »
Ugh. I am trying not to decide by using the color. As you all know, you can get any color type stain. This was stained with a reddish color. That is what is throwing me off so much.

^I wish you could see the picture! LOL. The album is here ->http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v693/myrockfight/
You can see a bunch of different pics of the furniture there. There is also a matching desk. I don't know how much the desk was originally, but the liquor cabinet was $1600 when they bought it last year. I don't know how much I should ask for them though. Any ideas on that?

crt360

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2008, 10:27:20 AM »
It's impossible to tell from the pic in the first post.  I couldn't access the p-bucket pics.  It wants a password.  The backboard/backsplash piece looks different than the rest.  It may have a fancier veneer on it.  Nice looking cabinet, whatever it is made of.
For entertainment purposes only.

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2008, 02:26:03 PM »
most mahogony's are soft enough to gouge with your fingernail, whereas teak is much harder.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

myrockfight

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2008, 03:12:44 PM »
I made my album public. Sorry about that. I will definitely try the fingernail test. Sounds like the best one so far. So what do you guys think I should price the two pieces for? I know they won't sell for retail. That is a given. But I am not sure what percentage of retail would be reasonable. I know the markup on furniture is really high though.

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2008, 05:28:04 PM »
The Chinese are chewing through the Indonesian hardwood forests at an incredible rate . This could be a host of mahogany look-alikes found in the tropics. It does not look like the "Phillipine "mahogany's or Meranti, and it sure is not a true mahogany (Honduran mahogany). If it were an older piece I would guess Chinese yellow rosewood (huanghauli). Still could be, I guess. Can you post a couple of close ups?

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2008, 05:35:38 PM »
This may help.

When ignited, mahogany burns with a peculiar green flame.

True fact.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2008, 06:08:07 PM »

You're kind of a big deal, aren't you? 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2008, 06:26:45 PM »

You're kind of a big deal, aren't you? 

People know me.

myrockfight

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2008, 06:31:49 PM »
This may help.

When ignited, mahogany burns with a peculiar green flame.

True fact.

LOL. No. It doesn't help. I want to get them sold. Not turn them into charcoal. No matter how pretty the green flame is.  grin

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2008, 07:15:50 PM »
Unfortunately, bad humor is all I have to offer.  grin

My only other thought would be to unscrew a door or pull out a drawer and take it into a custom cabinet or furniture maker.  Use the yellow pages and find someone with the skillset to recognize wood by appearance.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2008, 07:19:46 PM »
Call a local antique store and ask them about it.  They might blow you off, or they might be willing to help you identify it, or they might even want to buy it from you.  Whatever the case, you won't know unless you ask.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2008, 02:13:48 AM »
If they want to buy it from you they'll low ball you. Just so you know. They're not going to want to pay you much more than wholesale. Maybe call an auction company to come out an look at it, you're bound to get a straighter answer out of them. They usually take 30% if they sell it for you.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2008, 03:40:51 PM »
Sorry, I assumed it was modern production- If it is an antique, it is most likely yellow rosewood.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2008, 04:01:12 PM »
Looks modern to me.
Avoid cliches like the plague!