Author Topic: harrisburg filing chapter 9 over incinerator?  (Read 645 times)

geronimotwo

• friend
harrisburg filing chapter 9 over incinerator?
« on: February 20, 2010, 09:20:09 AM »
http://finance.yahoo.com/taxes/article/108866/muni-threat-cities-weigh-chapter-9

one of the main reasons appears to be the cities debt used to build build an incinerator.  back in the late 80's waste management made broward co fl sign a contract for two incinerators that made me think the county gov must have worked for wm. i don't remember the actual numbers, but it was a set in stone you will provide the two facilities with x tons of garbage per day at x dollars per ton for the next x amount of years (25yrs i think). if they couldn't provide the garbage they still had to pay the full price.  so much for a waste reduction incentive. just one of the reasons i don't like incinerators. 
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Re: harrisburg filing chapter 9 over incinerator?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 01:16:11 PM »
http://finance.yahoo.com/taxes/article/108866/muni-threat-cities-weigh-chapter-9

one of the main reasons appears to be the cities debt used to build build an incinerator.  back in the late 80's waste management made broward co fl sign a contract for two incinerators that made me think the county gov must have worked for wm. i don't remember the actual numbers, but it was a set in stone you will provide the two facilities with x tons of garbage per day at x dollars per ton for the next x amount of years (25yrs i think). if they couldn't provide the garbage they still had to pay the full price.  so much for a waste reduction incentive. just one of the reasons i don't like incinerators. 

It's not the incinerator, though that deal was badly run from the start. 

Mayor Linda Thompson is basically flat out insane.  And it doesn't help that downtown Harrisburg is now a dead zone.  Couple years ago, it was enjoying a pretty decent come-back and business was picking up.  Bars, clubs, etc were opening.  Now.  All gone.  Most decent business is leaving, and the majority of professionals too.  Can't say I blame them much.   
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2010, 04:25:42 PM »
So the whole deal has gone up in smoke?   =|
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2010, 07:28:05 PM »
cash burning a hole in their pocket
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2