Author Topic: Onetime top California football prospect Brian Banks exonerated of kidnap-rape  (Read 4129 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/more-sports/onetime-top-california-football-prospect-brian-banks-exonerated-kidnap-rape-conviction-article-1.1084001

Here's what instapundit had to say:
MAY 24, 2012
REMEMBER WHEN THEY USED TO SAY THAT WOMEN DIDN’T LIE ABOUT RAPE? “Former high school football standout exonerated in rape case.” “According to court papers, she admitted to him she lied but later refused to tell prosecutors the same thing lest she have to give back the $1.5 million she and her family won in a civil suit against Long Beach schools.”

From the article:
[Advised by his lawyer to] take a plea deal rather than having the "he said-she said" case go to trial... [Brian] Banks pleaded no contest to one count of forcible rape, was incarcerated for about six years and had to register as a sex offender.

In a movie-worthy twist, his former accuser got in touch with him via Facebook after he left prison. The two eventually met in person.

According to court papers, she admitted to him she lied but later refused to tell prosecutors the same thing lest she have to give back the $1.5 million she and her family won in a civil suit against Long Beach schools.`

Reminds me of a police buddy who worked sex crimes and child crimes (mostly sex-related, too).  "Yeah, about half of the accusers, adult or otherwise, are lying."  Not a job I'd want to have.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
So, will she get punished for lying about him raping her? I'm guessing not =|.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

roo_ster

• friend
So, will she get punished for lying about him raping her? I'm guessing not =|.

Why do you hate women?
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

RoadKingLarry

• friends
The woman destroys the mans life, even after recanting there is no way to make it right.
I'm not sure what justice would be in this case.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
Why do you hate women?
??? :mad:

It is not about "hating women" it's about punishing someone who "bore false witness."  She also had to lie to police, and lie under oath in a court -- which, last I checked, were both crimes. 
Are women above the law now...or what?    ;/ ;/ :facepalm: :facepalm:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
??? :mad:

It is not about "hating women" it's about punishing someone who "bore false witness."  She also had to lie to police, and lie under oath in a court -- which, last I checked, were both crimes. 
Are women above the law now...or what?    ;/ ;/ :facepalm: :facepalm:

I believe your sarcasm detector is broken...
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
What the ***** is a "sarcasm detector??"  =D
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Accusations are too cheap and defense too expensive.

Don't know what the punishment should be beyond that for perjury.

But that ain't enough.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

SADShooter

• friend
Wide publicity and social shunning SHOULD be the response. Unfortunately, it's no longer acceptable to stigmatize anything, except the idea that destructive behavior should be stigmatized.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

MechAg94

• friend
Lying like this should have consequences. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
shes not the only one who needs to be punished
http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2012/02/28/new-evidence-may-clear-name-of-star-local-football-player-convicted-of-rape/

no real evidence and a hurry up deal pressed on a 16 year old by his landshark
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
False accusation should be punished with the maximum penalty for the alleged crime  >:D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
False accusation should be punished with the maximum penalty for the alleged crime  >:D

That'd be not good. Someone gets raped or molested, alleged criminal spends a boatload of cash or influence to crush them, and now can wave that in the face of his future victims.  "Tell Mommy about this, and you'll go to jail too!"
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
they had no case   his lawyer talked a 16 year old into pleading guilty as a convenience  he thought the deal over for 10 freaking minutes   at 17
  alone
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
they had no case   his lawyer talked a 16 year old into pleading guilty as a convenience  he thought the deal over for 10 freaking minutes   at 17
  alone

That alone should get the lawyer disbarred. I always wondered why the Public Defenders don't get a budget equal to the DA, prosecutors and police.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

brimic

• friends
I always wondered why the Public Defenders don't get a budget equal to the DA, prosecutors and police.
Losing criminal trials makes Mayors and their appointed DAs look bad.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Regolith

• friend
I always wondered why the Public Defenders don't get a budget equal to the DA, prosecutors and police.

+1000. I'm extremely fiscally conservative, but personally I think the State ought to bear the entirety of the cost of prosecuting someone, including hiring a decent lawyer of the defendant's choosing (within reasonable limits). They can recoup the expenses if they find the person guilty.

Might make them think a little bit harder before railroading someone.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
^

Good suggetions, Regolith and RevDisk

They say, "Justice costs," but the flip side should be "Injustice costs," too.

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

roo_ster

• friend
I believe your sarcasm detector is broken...

I wasn't blatant enough:

Why do you hate women and puppies?
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

agricola

• friend
+1000. I'm extremely fiscally conservative, but personally I think the State ought to bear the entirety of the cost of prosecuting someone, including hiring a decent lawyer of the defendant's choosing (within reasonable limits). They can recoup the expenses if they find the person guilty.

Might make them think a little bit harder before railroading someone.

We have a similar system over here - Legal Aid - and whilst its a great system, it is somewhat prone to abuse from the legal community (who have used it to earn somewhat large fees*, in the region of £900,000 a year in some instances).  Our CPS will also prosecute people who make false allegations, including people who falsely accuse others of rape.

Also that kids lawyer really wants shooting, or failing that suing for a great deal of money.

* admittedly less than "private" law would generate, but thats not the point
"Idiot!  A long life eating mush is best."
"Make peace, you fools"